Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
BlueThunder34

Covered Storage?

Ok, so I have posted a lot in my short time and you all have been so helpful, I love getting feedback from people's actual experiences! SO my latest question is: Currently we have our trailer stored in our HOA lot which backs up to the forest and we have had 1 unwanted furry (mouse) resident that I have since gotten rid of and as much as possible secured the trailer from a reoccurrence. I have an ADCO cover on the trailer as it rains a lot her in the PNW but it is a PIA to put on and take off. Our storage fee is $50 a month. I found a location near by in the city, which is very nice and secure with outstanding reviews. All paved and the spot is covered (not enclosed) with power for $159 a month. Money wise it is affordable for us but my main reason for making the move would be to 1- not have to cover the RV all the time, and 2- in hopes that we would be less likely to obtain another unwanted resident. Do you think this would achieve what I think it would? Would it be much better for the trailer as far as seals, fading, etc to be in a covered spot?

Thanks for your thoughts!
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
ImTravis

Covered is usually better, as far as the unwelcome guests, it just depends on the location and if they're already there.

If it's near a field or Park, there's bound to be critters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Ok, so I have posted a lot in my short time and you all have been so helpful, I love getting feedback from people's actual experiences! SO my latest question is: Do you think this would achieve what I think it would? Would it be much better for the trailer as far as seals, fading, etc to be in a covered spot?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Not sure about critters, but anytime you can cover something up and keep most of it from the elements. It is going to last longer and not covered. We bought our 5er in fall of 2010 and it sat at my house for 2 winters in the open. each year it is cleaned top to bottom by professionals. the first two years every time it was cleaned the roof was awful and then it was washed and sealed. the last 3 cleanings it has been under the RVPort we have now. the roof has been in great shape. it is still cleaned and sealed but this past fall the guy even asked me, do you store this inside. I told I had an RVport and it was 41' long. he said I can tell when I clean one whether its been covered or stored inside. Still had it sealed and because all of us(6 campers) camping had our campers done. he put us in pot for a free washing top to bottom this year. Guess who won?
I have a friend whose dad Always said anything that is outside should be covered. He was a farmer.
JMHO,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You are far better off with it stored inside simply due to the exposure to the sun, weather etc. The fading, roof deterioration, seals all last much longer when not being eaten up by the elements. I kept mine outside for the 1st year and the oxidation on the roof really surprised me (the cap had to be repainted as well). I kept it outside thinking I was going to build a new enclosed building for it on our property. I just couldn't get myself to spend $30k for an enclosed building with concrete flooring and a drive. We ended up paying 1500 a year for an enclosed, insulated storage unit 15x50 w/lighting and electricity. The last cold snap we had (about 12 degrees) the temp in the unit only got down to 38. As far as the critters, any time you have an isolated, enclosed structure in an open area you are probably going to get some. I just put Fresh Cab out along with bait to try to make sure I don't get any and haven't had any yet (crossing my fingers).

I didn't go with a cover for the reasons you described plus in our part of the country a cover will just eat up the gel coat so it's not really an option. Good luck on getting an enclosure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You are far better off with it stored inside simply due to the exposure to the sun, weather etc. The fading, roof deterioration, seals all last much longer when not being eaten up by the elements. I kept mine outside for the 1st year and the oxidation on the roof really surprised me (the cap had to be repainted as well). I kept it outside thinking I was going to build a new enclosed building for it on our property. I just couldn't get myself to spend $30k for an enclosed building with concrete flooring and a drive. We ended up paying 1500 a year for an enclosed, insulated storage unit 15x50 w/lighting and electricity. The last cold snap we had (about 12 degrees) the temp in the unit only got down to 38. As far as the critters, any time you have an isolated, enclosed structure in an open area you are probably going to get some. I just put Fresh Cab out along with bait to try to make sure I don't get any and haven't had any yet (crossing my fingers).

I didn't go with a cover for the reasons you described plus in our part of the country a cover will just eat up the gel coat so it's not really an option. Good luck on getting an enclosure.
I pay $260 a month and that the cheapest I can find anywhere. Where are you located? I hate paying this much but it's the only option I have right now. I drive about 16 miles just to get this price.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
BlueThunder34

I went ahead and moved the trailer to a paved covered storage not enclosed but covered. Cost me $159 month. The enclosed was out of my price range at $360 a month I think that this covered area will be much better than the cover option and much less hassle
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

C130 - I'm in W TX about an hour south of Lubbock....that would be a LONG haul for you. The guy that has them is a farmer and just super nice. He built 30 new units and bought another older storage complex. He said he wanted a place to put his RV and thought he would build the others and get some pocket change He charges 130 a month or 1500 a year....but insists on at least 6 months or a year at a time. He built in a dump station/w water for flushing for those needing to dump after their trip home and an outside washing area as well. Pretty nice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote