Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
debruijn

New to Forum

Hi, my husband and I are looking to trade up our 21ft trailer and get a Montana. We also are in need of a truck to pull it. I thought maybe we could find a used Montana here on this site. Would appreciate any help or advise as to which Keystone is the best for our needs. I'm retired but my husband still works from home on his computer. So we need a rig that he can work in.
Thanks
Linda
debruijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forums. Two ways to look at it- look for a truck you like and then find a trailer it's rated to tow or find the trailer you like and then look for a truck rated to tow it.
"Working" from your computer will only be limited by WiFi enabled parks if he needs Internet. Dinette table is plenty big and most have a 110 plug somewhere in the dinette.

Since you live in Ca. Be prepared to get the proper license or endorsements based on trailer GVWR. You surely DONT want to exceed any weight ratings on your TV, CHP is stopping RV'ers and checking for endorsements and weighing rear axles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Not sure how much shopping you've done. You state you want a Montana, I'd recommend shopping around a bit. The Montana's are nice and you will find many owners of them who absolutely love them, but you'd be surprised what you can find in other brands for similar or even significantly less money. Not saying don't get the Montana, just saying don't be set on one without looking at what else is available. Last year I said the same thing you are, we are upgrading and getting a new Montana, we bought an Alpine and are very glad we shopped around.

As far as a rig he can work in, several models have built in computer desks. I've also seen some with a desk like a drawer that pulls out from the entertainment center. If he isn't particular about a desk, does he prefer to sit at the dining room table or living room recliner? Go to the dealerships/RV shows, etc and sit in them. Don't be afraid to drive a bit to sit in an actual model, there is no substitute to seeing it in person.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
Kristi

to the forum! As Brent said, it is a good idea to look around at different models, if nothing else, it will help narrow down your 'must haves' & 'don't wants'. Actually sitting in them is a great way to see things that may not be obvious from the pictures, such as can DH see the TV while I'm in the kitchen? Is the shower big enough? or Is there enough room on the desk, table, or wherever for the laptop & other work stuff? Also, as you look at each one you can determine how much truck you will need & how much trailer you are comfortable towing. Just food for thought... enjoy your search & your upcoming adventure!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Barbell

New to forum

We spent more than two years looking at RVs. Started with Montanas and then Cardinals, Alpines, etc. Finally came back to the Montana. Things to look for: Access to bathroom from bedroom: a great many of the RVs we passed on had a door to the bath that opened into the hall right above the steps. Could see one of us falling down the steps trying to get around that door. Check how the floor of the slides matches the fixed floor. On a number of the ones we looked at, there was an offset of an inch or more where the floor of the slide met the fixed floor: tripping hazard. Check the light fixtures. Our Montana came with the wrong bulbs installed in the interior fixtures. They get hot and hopefully burn out before something worse happens. Our Montana came with the six-way leveling system. I would not consider a trailer without it. Obviously this system is available on other models, but whatever you decide on, this is a must-have in my book.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote