Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
kcameron1999

Hornet Slide Leak

I have a 2008 hornet we bought last year. i noticed quickly that was a streak left on the carpet by the slide on the front end. When I called a local dealer this spring, after hearing the make/model, he just said, "yep, that's what they do and we don't touch them." He referred me to a shop that work on them, but in my research, this is a $1800-2000 repair.

I am considering doing it myself since I know it will not be covered by warranty. The floor is about 12'4". I like this video since they didn't remove the slide as I don't have a lift to do that.

I have a couple of questions that I need answered though.

Is it ok to just use OSB or I was thinking of treated plywood?

Is it ok to use 8' pieces?

How think is it, 3/4"?

Any other information/suggestions to help me? Thanks in advance.
kcameron1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcameron1999 View Post
I have a 2008 hornet we bought last year. i noticed quickly that was a streak left on the carpet by the slide on the front end. When I called a local dealer this spring, after hearing the make/model, he just said, "yep, that's what they do and we don't touch them."

I am considering doing it myself since I know it will not be covered by warranty.

Any other information/suggestions to help me? Thanks in advance.
Your title of your post would indicate that you have discovered that you have or have had a leak in the slide and are replacing the slide floor because of the damage caused by that leak.

Are you replacing the floor because you have found that it is rotten?

Providing more detail about the problem would be helpful.

(I'd be using marine grade plywood - not OSB)
Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
theeyres

Have you determined that the whole slide out floor needs replacing? Or can you just fix the leak and let it go at that? I think I had the same leak in my Hideout--the successor successor to the Hornet--but I couldn't see where it had hurt anything other than cosmetic damage to some of the inside fancy moulding. I took the metal trim off the leaking area (outside on the lower part of the slide) reinstalled the sticky stuff, put the trim back on, resealed, and have been fine since. Make sense? There is no need to tear up all the floor unless you know it has been damage beyond repair.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
fla-gypsy

A streak on the carpet isn't an indication of anything. You need to investigate more
Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
kcameron1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
Have you determined that the whole slide out floor needs replacing? Or can you just fix the leak and let it go at that? I think I had the same leak in my Hideout--the successor successor to the Hornet--but I couldn't see where it had hurt anything other than cosmetic damage to some of the inside fancy moulding. I took the metal trim off the leaking area (outside on the lower part of the slide) reinstalled the sticky stuff, put the trim back on, resealed, and have been fine since. Make sense? There is no need to tear up all the floor unless you know it has been damage beyond repair.
The entire corner of the floor is bad. It is soft for the first foot of the floor. I don't think I can turn a blind eye to it. I was planning on using higher grade flooring (marine or treated) but had seen what appeared to be OSB used in another video. Is there a way to only replace part of it? Just thinking about it it seems easier to remove the whole thing rather than try to unwrap and cut in place.

I am not new to construction, just new to working on a house on wheels.
kcameron1999 is offline   Reply With Quote