Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
rwbrown55

Wiring up backup lights

Have 2011 avalanche 5th wheel. Where does the yellow backup light wire in the trailer harness go to. I verified it goes into the sealed bottom frame area at the battery compartment. I do not want to start removing the undersealing without knowing where it ends from the factory.
rwbrown55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My guess (just a guess) is that it probably ends up at the tail lights. In years past, many "luxury" trailers had back up lights that were a part of the tail light assembly. They were 3 section lights rather than 2 section lights (tail/brake). If you remove one of the tail lights you may find the yellow wire strung around the two wires that are in use.....

As I said, that's just a guess. On my trailer, the yellow wire ends about 2' from the wiring box mounted on the pin. It runs from the 7 way plug to the junction box and is in the wiring harness (encased in cable run) but ends about 2' past the box. If I wanted to run back up lights, I'd have to run that wire under the chassis and decide how to wire them....

What I'd probably do is skip that, and with the knowledge that I'm not going to back up (especially at night) without a spotter, I'd mount two LED lights on the back bumper wired to the tail lights and include a switch so the spotter could turn them on when "she" gets back there.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
rwbrown55

back up lights

Sorry I haven't replied but sometimes it is best not to get in a hurry. Since I posted the question i have found more about my 2006 Ram 3500 trailer lights and how they work. Seems Ram uses a TIPM ( total intergrated power module) instead of fuses in its power fuse box. All this sounds great except the TIPM monitors current draw on all circuits such as all trailer lights including the backup lights. So if you add light like I was planning it may work with low current LED lights but high watt lights like I have will draw more current than the TIPM is programed for and MAY diable the circuit assuming there is a problem. Now the problem. IF that happens you have to have a shop with Ram Truck Scanning software to clear the trouble code before the lights will go back to work. This will cost you 50 to 100 dollars.

Now I will take your advise and connect to LED lights to the tail lights and go from there. Thanks.
rwbrown55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
jbsmith

I found this thread while researching my own plans to install lights on our trailer. With warmer weather on the horizon, I have some projects I want to complete.

To solve the problem of current draw on the truck, I plan to use a power on relay and the wire from the 7 pin to operate a 12 VDC SPST normally open (N.O.) relay. When the low current side is energized the relay closes, completing the circuit across the terminals on the high current side. I'll use the battery on the trailer to supply power to a couple of LED light bars.

The relays are only a couple of dollars and can be wired using spade connectors or plug into an automotive style connector purchased separately. They're pretty common with car audio installations where high current amps need to be connected directly to the battery, but a remote turn on lead might not be available or can't support the draw across multiple components.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
kampfitt

on my 5th i installed 4 backup lights, 1 beside each front landing gear leg so i can see where my tires are, then 2 under rear bumper angled out about 30-40 degs. so i can see into campsite as i'm backing into. Took power from coach batt. to light switch in drivers side front compatment, as i will get out to ck site before backing in, so i turn them on and then back in. then can leave them on to set up without truck being hooked up. and can use them when set up if you need too, very handy
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
CPE

Back-up lights

I have a 2011 Keystone 343RL and it came with back-up lights installed.
I don't believe others do; Keystone after that year changed the custom fiberglass molded end to a flat panel . All lights and license plate were recess mounted in that fiberglass rear end cap.
Just info.
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I do like to light up a dark area that I am backing into, I launch my boat in darkess and have had different lights mounted to the rear bumper. I have mounted 55 watt lights on the back of my last RV. I still do not have enough to see safety while in darkness. I was going to mount lights on the back of this trailer and gave up the idea. Even at boat ramps I need someone back there with a hand held light to assist. For me 2 mounted lights is not enough maybe 4 or 6 at aleast 55 watt.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfitt View Post
on my 5th i installed 4 backup lights, 1 beside each front landing gear leg so i can see where my tires are, then 2 under rear bumper angled out about 30-40 degs. so i can see into campsite as i'm backing into. Took power from coach batt. to light switch in drivers side front compatment, as i will get out to ck site before backing in, so i turn them on and then back in. then can leave them on to set up without truck being hooked up. and can use them when set up if you need too, very handy
Now that's a smart idea.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote