Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
Sonnie

What can I pull safely?

My wife and I were looking at travel trailers and got side-tracked on 5th wheels only to learn we can't pull a fifth wheel with my truck, and we are no in the market for trading at this point. So... we either find something like to pull with my truck, or we wait a few years. We are not interested in pop-ups.

My truck is a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.7 eTorque and 3.92 gear. Rated to pull a little over 11K, although I realize that is not the ultimate factor in what we can safely pull. The payload is 1612lbs per the door sticker. RAWR is 4100lbs.

We do travel fairly light... no water, just her and I, and we are not hoarders where we carry the house with us when we go places.

I am curious as to what should be we looking at? I know we can't get more than about a 28ft trailer to turn in our driveway. So we certainly can't look at anything longer or the wheels of the trailer will be in the ditch.

Regards,
Sonnie
Sonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
My wife and I were looking at travel trailers and got side-tracked on 5th wheels only to learn we can't pull a fifth wheel with my truck, and we are no in the market for trading at this point. So... we either find something like to pull with my truck, or we wait a few years. We are not interested in pop-ups.

My truck is a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.7 eTorque and 3.92 gear. Rated to pull a little over 11K, although I realize that is not the ultimate factor in what we can safely pull. The payload is 1612lbs per the door sticker. RAWR is 4100lbs.

We do travel fairly light... no water, just her and I, and we are not hoarders where we carry the house with us when we go places.

I am curious as to what should be we looking at? I know we can't get more than about a 28ft trailer to turn in our driveway. So we certainly can't look at anything longer or the wheels of the trailer will be in the ditch.

Regards,
Sonnie

Sonnie, You kind of answered your own question. Your truck's max payload is 1612 lbs. Figure a bumper pull will be 13 percent of the gross weight. Figure in your hitch weight, weight of passengers and gear and what you are left with is the trailer sitting on your truck. Your truck has decent power but a camper in the 30' plus range will be uncomfortable due the length. Don't know how much you and your passenger(s) weight but the hitch will be over 100 lbs so do the math yourself keeping in mind the longer the trailer is being pulled by any 1/2 ton, the more you will feel the sway regardless of what type hitch.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Sonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Sonnie, You kind of answered your own question. Your truck's max payload is 1612 lbs. Figure a bumper pull will be 13 percent of the gross weight. Figure in your hitch weight, weight of passengers and gear and what you are left with is the trailer sitting on your truck. Your truck has decent power but a camper in the 30' plus range will be uncomfortable due the length. Don't know how much you and your passenger(s) weight but the hitch will be over 100 lbs so do the math yourself keeping in mind the longer the trailer is being pulled by any 1/2 ton, the more you will feel the sway regardless of what type hitch.
1612lbs to start.
-400 - my wife and I
-100 - tool box with a few tools (I can pick it up easily)
-200 - other stuff in the truck (sub box, running boards, etc)
-150 - ? truck hitch weight
762lbs - is what the trailer hitch weight can be - am I calculating this correctly?

We will have some clothes in the trailer... no water... a couple of lounge chairs, hoses, cables, a few dishes, and some food. We'll add a Dishmate for our Dish satellite.

So if I am safely at about 700lbs hitch weight... how do I calculate what the weight of the trailer can be?

lol... my calculator did not subtract correctly... 762 it is... not 912.

Regards,
Sonnie
Old 11-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! And thanks for even asking...too many don't. You're on the right track and George has given you good advice. Weight is the first consideration, overall length is the second. Even if the numbers pan out for towing, length can work against you a bit. You don't want the white knuckle experience of feeling like the tail is wagging the dog in windy situations.

How many will be in your trailer? Younger kids? Looking at bunk models? There are lots of good TT floor plans in the <30' arena.

Edit: I see you answered some of this while I was writing
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
Sonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Welcome aboard! And thanks for even asking...too many don't. You're on the right track and George has given you good advice. Weight is the first consideration, overall length is the second. Even if the numbers pan out for towing, length can work against you a bit. You don't want the white knuckle experience of feeling like the tail is wagging the dog in windy situations.

How many will be in your trailer? Younger kids? Looking at bunk models? There are lots of good TT floor plans in the <30' arena.

Edit: I see you answered some of this while I was writing
Yes... just the wife and I... and definitely want something in probably the 26ft area to feel more comfortable pulling it.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
jsb5717

Quote:
Yes... just the wife and I... and definitely want something in probably the 26ft area to feel more comfortable pulling it.
Just be sure to use the GVWR of any trailer you're looking at for the weight calcs
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for asking up front, a wise decision IMO and hopefully eliminates some of the issues others face when weight problems arise after buying something where the salesman said "no problem".

As I've always said the trailer dictates the truck or the truck dictates the trailer. You are the latter and know your guestimated numbers so can at least come close to where you need to be. All that said I think 900 lbs. tongue weight is going to be a little heavy but it's doable. I pulled a 38', 9300lb., 1100 lb. tongue weight Cougar High Country with a 1/2 ton Ram 1500 5.7. It was too much trailer for the truck and I was knowingly slightly over payload (200lbs.)....for one long trip; it was no fun.

Figure a 7500lb. gvw trailer and load like you said. I would think you would be fine. When you look at the Keystone website travel trailers, as you go down the list of models they typically get heavier. The Bullet line runs a little lighter weight. I don't know what you want in a trailer, and floorplan is the biggest consideration IMO to being happy, but here is a link to one model - just go back and click on various models to see their specs;

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
1612lbs to start.
-400 - my wife and I
762lbs - is what the trailer hitch weight can be - am I calculating this correctly?

We will have some clothes in the trailer... no water... a couple of lounge chairs, hoses, cables, a few dishes, and some food. We'll add a Dishmate for our Dish satellite.

So if I am safely at about 700lbs hitch weight... how do I calculate what the weight of the trailer can be?

Regards,
Sonnie
With 762 Lbs remaining let's look at a reasonable hitch weight. a 5,500 lb GVW trailer would have an ESTIMATED tongue weight of 5,500 X .13 = 715 lbs. NOTE - that's not EMPTY weight but GVW. Why? Empty weight doesn't exist once it leaves the factory as that does not include the battery, propane tanks, opr anything you put in the trailer.

Most everyone starts out with the idea "we travel light". Very, very few people do. Here's just SOME of the things you need to add.....

Water hose, fresh water, 2 @ 45'
Water regulator
Water filter
Sewer hose, 10' & 15' hoses plus connectors (ie. right angle sewer connector, clear elbow, disposable gloves Blank water tank odor control treatment.)
Leveling blocks
Tire chocks
Electric extension cord for the trailer power, usually 25'
Electrical adapters or "dogbones" to go from 50 amp to 30 amp, 30 amp to 15 amp. An EMS is a good idea (a must have in my opinion)
How about a m,at to use outside to keep the dirt out? A lot of folks end up with an awning shade to hang off the awning. Flag?

So that's outside, let's move inside....
Bed room ..
Sheets, blankets, pillow cases? Pillows? "other bedroom linens like throws, comforter. Spare linens to change out the dirty ones? Clothing, shoes?

What about the kitchen?
Pots, pans, plates, utensils (both eating and cooking), cups, glasses?
Food? Canned and dry goods? Spices? Coffee? Condiments like catsup, mustard, mayo, salt pepper, BBQ sauce, hot sauce?
What about a coffee maker? Toaster?
Drinks? Beer, wine, soda, milk?

Got a bathroom? Plan on using it? well,
Towels, wash cloths, toilet paper, tooth brush, toothpaste , soap, deodorant, shaving supplies, and other toiletries? First aid kit?

The above list ios what I think most campers would consider a "minimum list" Most folks pack a whole lot more and it's a cumulative thing. Over time most people will see the "pretty couch throw with matching throw rugs with the cute little camper on them" por the Lodge iron cooking set that "would be great for cooking over the fire" and don't forget the "cast iron pie maker, the S'mores and marshmallow sticks " and list goes on.

Gather that stuff up in the hose and weight iot as you pile it up. I think you'll be shocked at how quickly it will add up. My opinion, the "average 1/2 truck can safely tow UP TO about a 25' trailer. When you get get 27' or over you need a 3/4 ton. Forget 5 th wheels of 27' with anything less than a 350/3500.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Mike&Sandy

Right now, I'm in a Keystone Cougar owners thread on Facebook where I'm getting beat up. It's a how can I stop the bed from bouncing on my 1/4 ton pulling a giant 5th wheel discussion. It amazes me how far some are willing to push the limits.

Good times, lol.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
1612lbs to start.
-400 - my wife and I

Regards,
Sonnie

Forget my suggestion in a prior post - it is too big for a 700# payload. Think more along the lines of a 6000lb. gvw trailer (dry weight plus carrying capacity).
Old 11-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Guess you are getting some great advice and ideas on how to SIZE your camper but keep in mind that anything over about 30' will not be fun to pull regardless of your payload or the trailer's tongue weight. You might start looking at ULTRA LITE type models and keep in mind there are always positives and negatives. The negative is they are built lighter so many times you can't get on the roof to do maintenance and they won't have a ladder. Why? Basic build is not stout. Don't know your situation but the Hideout line has a number of lighter trailers that are popular in the ~25' range and some are bunkhouses if you need one for kids. Last point, don't buy a single axle trailer. They are light but the thought of a blow out with only one tire scares me although I have never owned one and never had a blow out with a single axle camper. If you have the opportunity to borrow another person's camper and get out for a weekend, this will help you decide what is truly important for you and buying a new camper is a poor way to find out due to depreciation. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

"Last point, don't buy a single axle trailer. They are light but the thought of a blow out with only one tire scares me"

I agree with the above. I've had boat trailers with a single axle and a pop up. Never had a blow out on the highway thankfully but I did have a wheel cut the spindle off and just roll of slowly moving along a mountain back road. It was bad enough at 5-10mph, can't imagine what would have happened at 65.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"Last point, don't buy a single axle trailer. They are light but the thought of a blow out with only one tire scares me"

I agree with the above. I've had boat trailers with a single axle and a pop up. Never had a blow out on the highway thankfully but I did have a wheel cut the spindle off and just roll of slowly moving along a mountain back road. It was bad enough at 5-10mph, can't imagine what would have happened at 65.

I said with a CAMPER. Coming home from buying a bike in Florida with my motorcycle trailer on IH10 in sunny Louisiana (where IH10 is in the finest shape), blew a tire and wiped out the fender. Of course, being a rocket scientist when not biking or camping, I didn't have a spare. That is a different story. I definitely saw sparks!
Old 11-17-2020, 02:45 AM   #14
Millertyme76

It's just the DW and myself. We have a 2020 Springdale 202RD. 25' and around 4600 lbs dry. I pull with a 2.7L ecoboost F150. The weight works out good for my truck . The length of the camper is not to bad. The max weight for the camper is around 6000 so I have plenty of CCC for the 2 of us. Just my 2 cents on what works for me.
2022 Prime Time Avenger 27DBS (Bought New 2022)
2021 Ford F250 XL 6.2L (Bought Used 2024)
Husky 32215 WDH
Millertyme76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #15
Ken / Claudia

FYI, check out my trailer, I did weight it shorty after purchase. Loaded tongue weight is 920 lbs. Keystone listed dry it as 560? as I recall.
It was loaded for 2 on a 3 night trip and fresh tank full. My opinion is that these 28-30 foot TTs can get into the 1,000 lb tongue easy. That can be taking up to 50% or more of your payload wt. off of your truck.
Now if you have been watching pickups pulling RVs and or trailers of any type you have seen over loaded pickups on the highways. That's a decision each driver needs to decide no matter the truck size. If it's worth the risks.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
Yareelohim

You can check out my post in the Newbie section for a pretty in-depth back and forth conversation. Some great points and advice from experienced people. I am hard person to sell when it comes to numbers though so I like to push back and make people convince me of what I am not seeing. That thread may interest you.

I used two tow calculators which I found extremely helpful. The things experienced RV'rs pointed out that need to be considered are the things the calculators don't compute. Are your tires load rated for the amount of weight you will have? Do you have weight distribution and anti-sway? How will the total length of the trailer affect the drivability of the truck in winds or adverse conditions?

I'm new to this so I won't give any advice aside from, listen to what the experienced people have to say and don't be afraid to push back and challenge. If they can convince you, then you will have peace of mind knowing you are taking great advice from people who have been there. If they can't convince you then it might just be an old soul who hears "half ton" and dismisses you without even considering your truck and your trailer. Have to weed through those to get to the nuggets. Some of the people who replied to you have given me great advice and areas of caution to look for. I appreciate that.

Here are the links:

http://towcalculator.com
(I love this one)

https://confessionsofanrvaholic.com/...ty-calculator/
(A little more in-depth but great to compare against the other and customize a little more to your situation)

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=45015
(My thread of battling with the pros on tow capacity of my Half Ton)
Yareelohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:42 AM   #17
MarkEHansen

Another thing to consider is how close to the weight limits you are willing to go. When the manufacturer determined what that truck can tow, they used a different type of trailer - it was basically a flat bed with bricks (or something) - resulting in a very low center of gravity and specific tongue weight.

An RV is really a different animal when towing. It is a large box, which will be impacted by the air through which you are towing. Not only the wind, but also the turbulence caused by other vehicles on the road.

A 1/2-ton truck isn't really designed to pull an RV very well - and taking the weight right up to the limits specified by the truck manufacturer will lead to some white knuckle moments to be sure.

With a 1/2-ton truck, my advice would be to keep a good deal of room under the weight limits - and drive the combination like you realize it's going to be difficult. Keep your speed down, keep your following distance long, etc.

When you consider towing, keep in mind it's not just pulling the trailer. The truck needs to be able to handle the load - which also includes being able to stop the load, handling the sway induced by air turbulence and other events. For example, imagine what you will do if a deer jumps out in front of you while pulling down the highway.

Best of luck with your choices.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
Mike&Sandy

I took mine for the inaugural trip last week and was surprised at the turbulence when being passes by trucks. Definitely something to be consider when selecting a TV.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #19
travelin texans

There's a difference being able to tow a rv & being able to carry it. Yes you can move it with about any vehicle, but not far, with no control & there will be damage to the vehicle.
Imagine moving a loaded wheel barrow, you have to carry a good percentage of that load plus be able to move, turn & stop the entire load. A big strapping fellow will easily be able to carry & handle that wheel barrow, now put his 6 year old kid behind it, he may be able to move it a bit but isn't going to carry it without considerable strain or control it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #20
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's a difference being able to tow a rv & being able to carry it. Yes you can move it with about any vehicle, but not far, with no control & there will be damage to the vehicle.
Imagine moving a loaded wheel barrow, you have to carry a good percentage of that load plus be able to move, turn & stop the entire load. A big strapping fellow will easily be able to carry & handle that wheel barrow, now put his 6 year old kid behind it, he may be able to move it a bit but isn't going to carry it without considerable strain or control it.
That's a great analogy Danny

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote