Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Fishsizzle

Yikes

Yikes! Can’t imagine see this barreling down out of the fog

https://www.kcbd.com/2019/12/27/dps-...y-near-slaton/
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Some just do not possess the brain power to slow down in fog, snow, ice and even heavy rain.
The last winter event I worked before retiring OSP. I-84 near the famous Multnomah falls. Snow on road and shoulders for miles, foggy, some spots of ice. A pickup going to damn fast lost control bounced off both left and right barriers and flipped over blocking the slow lane on a small curve. 1 other trooper to deal with that, I parked on shoulder before crash and could see traffic coming at round 1 mile away. In the hope drivers would slow down. If drivers looked they could see the police and wrecker lights at the crash. I turned every vehicle light on included the flashing high beam headlights. Of course 4 big blue and red flashing lights in rear truck window. All was good for 10 mins as most traffic was around 40 anyways and slowed to 20 or slow nearing the police vehicles.
Than headlights coming at high speed likely 65 mph. The driver got real close and than decided to brake. She spun her car around 1 full time, hitting the left barrier and kept going now backwards. She passed me and had that panic look in her eyes. Her boy friend coming at about the same speed and in the next vehicle, he bounced off the left barrier several times as he passed me and hit his girl friend head on. Both had minor injuries only. Freeway westbound was completely shut down for an hour or so. I issued them both tickets for careless driving. That is driving in a manor that could or does cause damage to property or injury to another. Both were pissed for getting the tickets as most are. Both told me they had no idea there was ice on the road. That's not the first time I dealt with fools that would not slow down when conditions required drivers to just slow down some and all might be ok.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
Fishsizzle

I feel for the men/women in blue.

The move over law was a huge win for our officers. Now if they can just get distracted drivers out of here.

Cars are going to have to come with some sort of plug in that makes you put the dang phone in a locked box before you can start the car. Like a breathalyzer
Old 12-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Yea, it is a good law and was long over do. They used my smashed patrol car in photos to show the need for the slow down/move over law. We had 5 patrol cars struck while stopped on the shoulder in about 16 months. If you know I-205 S/B at the Clackamas exit. A close friend was months from retirement at Clackamas SO. He was stopped south of the off ramp helping a motorist who had car trouble. He was bending down to get back into his patrol car. A U-haul truck missed the off ramp and was on the shoulder at freeway speed. He is left handed and his gun holster was struck by the vehicle. If he was standing the truck mirror would have killed him. A mirror bracket on the door hit his holster. The driver fought the case in court and lost. Thought 265 dollar ticket was to much for nearly killing someone.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Yea, it is a good law and was long over do. They used my smashed patrol car in photos to show the need for the slow down/move over law. We had 5 patrol cars struck while stopped on the shoulder in about 16 months. If you know I-205 S/B at the Clackamas exit. A close friend was months from retirement at Clackamas SO. He was stopped south of the off ramp helping a motorist who had car trouble. He was bending down to get back into his patrol car. A U-haul truck missed the off ramp and was on the shoulder at freeway speed. He is left handed and his gun holster was struck by the vehicle. If he was standing the truck mirror would have killed him. A mirror bracket on the door hit his holster. The driver fought the case in court and lost. Thought 265 dollar ticket was to much for nearly killing someone.
What an idiot. I’d be so ashamed and sick if I’d had almost killed someone. People, I’ll never understand most of them