Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2023, 12:23 PM   #1
Traindude

Battery replacement

I am looking at replacing my current batteries. I am thinking of going with agm type batteries. I have a 2016 cougar.Just needing advice on this, not sure if just a simple swapping them out or is there more to it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:06 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

It really depends on what you expect from your batteries. If you have FLA (flooded lead acid) batteries now and they do the job, you can go back with FLA or change to AGM or even to a deep cycle hybrid gel battery without any issue (plug and play). Unless you have solar and/or do a lot of off-grid camping, you don’t need lithium batteries (and can avoid the expense of replacing your converter with a lithium friendly model). Some people may also suggest two 6v golf cart batteries, but again, unless you are spending time off grid, it may not be right for you.

We boondock a few times a year for 2-3 nights each time and our 2 group 27 FLA batteries have met all of our power needs for the last 4 seasons. We have an inverter generator backup (if needed) but rarely have to use it.

When it comes time for new batteries, I am considering two Renology 100ah hybrid gel batteries @$215/ea. I don’t need the high DoD (depth of discharge) offered by lithium or golf cart batteries for my type of usage.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:49 PM   #3
bobbecky

FLA and AGM batteries are compatible, but some converters need a jumper installed so they play nice with GEL batteries. The biggest issue is to make sure the new batteries are installed correctly so you don't blow the reverse polarity fuses on the converter.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery