Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2023, 08:23 AM   #1
JackD

Question Advice on e-bike transport.

I'm a noob here, by the way, but not new to RV-ing. Two Class A and a previous travel trailer to my current Keystone Passport 22br - which we're loving.

Searching the forums here:

I've already ruled out mounting anything to the 'bumper' for obvious reasons.

I am considering two options now:

1. An A-Frame type back rack. Pros: Not too expensive, look sturdy, and bolt-on. Cons: lifting a two 60-lb bikes to shoulder height to get them onto the damn rack. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...SABEgLEsvD_BwE

2. Having a hitch welded to the frame in the rear of the trailer. Pros: probably the most sturdy option, easier to load bikes. Cons: custom weld / (Can't DIY). Curt makes a unit for this purpose: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...RT/C13701.html

I'm curious if any have tried either of these solutions with success and recommendations for which approach?

Thanks!

Jack
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:05 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

IMO option 2 would be best as long as the trailer has regular I beam frames. If that’s not an option, maybe lifting the bikes into the bed of the truck and then backing up might help with the height needed to lift.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:20 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD View Post
I'm a noob here, by the way, but not new to RV-ing. Two Class A and a previous travel trailer to my current Keystone Passport 22br - which we're loving.

Searching the forums here:

I've already ruled out mounting anything to the 'bumper' for obvious reasons.

I am considering two options now:

1. An A-Frame type back rack. Pros: Not too expensive, look sturdy, and bolt-on. Cons: lifting a two 60-lb bikes to shoulder height to get them onto the damn rack. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...SABEgLEsvD_BwE

2. Having a hitch welded to the frame in the rear of the trailer. Pros: probably the most sturdy option, easier to load bikes. Cons: custom weld / (Can't DIY). Curt makes a unit for this purpose: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...RT/C13701.html

I'm curious if any have tried either of these solutions with success and recommendations for which approach?

Thanks!

Jack
Jack, If you were to make a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for your tow vehicle, answers to questions like you just posed might have more context. Upper left of every page under UserCP.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:33 AM   #4
JackD

Thanks - I'm honestly leaning this way as the trailer has full I-Beam frame...

I like the suggestion of standing on the tailgate to lift on and off the A-Frame type carriers though.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:35 AM   #5
JackD

Thanks / Done.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:30 PM   #6
Gegrad

You mentioned you were not opposed to standing on the tailgate...

I just purchased this setup to haul mine. I am going with the rack over the bed route to carry me and my son's bikes (not ebikes). Thule cross racks that can be attached and locked on, and easily removed when needed.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...%25204%2522%29

Yakima also makes one that hold up to 300 lbs that may be better for e bikes.

Then I am going with this to hold the bikes on the crossbars:
https://www.amazon.com/RockyMounts-1.../dp/B00OCGFIL4

Pros: easily added and removed. Can be moved from truck to truck (as long as you stay with the same class of truck) if needed and locks on for anti theft prevention. Keeps the the full bed available for camping gear without bouncing and flexing all over like when leveraged behind the trailer.

Cons: Expensive setup (~$1000 for 2 bikes, though additional bikes can be added for just the cost of a tomahawk). You do have to stand on tailgate to get them on a fullsize/HD truck like mine. A friend has this setup for his Frontier and he does it from the ground (low sitting truck and he is 6'4"). I can share a pic in a few days when my Thule gets delivered and I get them installed.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:59 AM   #7
jasin1

if your ebikes fold up like mine you can put them in storage totes inside the rv…i found that works for me..when i get to the campsite they get stored outside with a heavy motorcycle chain and lock and a cover over them
Old 03-17-2023, 07:09 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Not an e-Bike, but regular bicycles....

I considered all sorts of options with our current Montana Fifth Wheel. Although my Montana has a hitch (which is suitable for carrying bicycles or a cargo carrier), it would cover up the door to my rear hatch. And that is where I keep all my wood blocks and such, electric wires, and everything needed for setting up camp. It would mean removing the bicycles and the carrier before I could even start to set up the camper. This is not an option.

I considered mounting a receiver on the King Pin box. I considered a front carrier on the truck. And of course, with a fifth wheel, there is no option for the bed of the truck.

So, unlike my last travel trailer that had a usable hitch on the rear of the trailer, I carry my bicycles inside the trailer. After setting up camp, stabilizing and hooking up power, the bicycles are then removed from the camper.

So far, this has worked OK for us for the last 4 years. We do not always travel with the bicycles, but when we do, that's how we do it. And did I mention, one of those bicycles is a tandem bicycle (built for 2)... It's long, but we can still get it inside the trailer.

Well, that's what I'd do. When traveling, put the e-Bikes inside the trailer. When camped, keep them chained up so they won't disappear unwauntingly.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:38 AM   #9
JackD

Thanks Gegrad, That could work. I'd be interested in seeing the setup when you have it installed!
Old 03-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #10
JackD

Thanks all for the responses - appreciate all of the input and suggestions.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #11
linux3

My Trek weighs 23 lbs. My wife's Terry even less. We throw them in the back of the truck when traveling.
A few friends have Specialized EBikes that weigh under 35 lbs but they are battery Assist, you still have to peddle.
If you must have a battery look at Assist Ebikes. Much lighter.
https://electrek.co/2020/02/05/speci...weight-e-bike/
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:17 AM   #12
BruceinDFW

I use a Hollywood Fat Tire 2-Bike Rack...

We have two Rad e-bikes at 70+ lbs. each without battery. We have traveled over 10K miles with them on the back of our Montana using a Hollywood Fat Tire 2-Bike Rack. Our Montana didn't have a hitch - only the hollow square bumper. I added some bumper supports and a Curt 2" bold-on receiver below the bumper. Yes, I would prefer the custom welded hitch, but I could not find a place that could do it - because they didn't have parking space for our 65' rig (truck & trailer). It has worked fine for carrying the bikes. Yes, lifting them up on the rack is not fun, but you can buy rails that will allow you to roll them up using the bike's throttle. The only downside is that the bold-on receiver decreases the clearance and sometimes scrapes on sharp inclines - like when I am backing my trailer into my driveway.
2019 Rad Rover & Rad Mini Step-thru
BruceinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #13
flyingjack

Bruce, we do the same as you; right or wrong it worked for us perfectly over recent 5000+ mile trip. 2022 Montana HC 295 has a 2+" factory welded rear crossover tube connecting main frame with a factory welded 2" hitch receiver. Two Aventon Level ebikes minus seat/batteries using a Fultyme bike rack with an extra 1 1/2" bolt on receiver to stop any sway=very sold. I also reinforced bike rack a little at tire drop in slots. Easy load/unload: parallel bike to rack; hold back brake; wheelie bike lifting front tire and position in tire drop in slot; then just pick up back end and place in tire slot- don't have to lift entire bike all at once=easy peasy.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #14
Gunny Mike

We put a e-trike and two e-bikes in the the back of our truck. Trike goes back end in first. We also have three custom made ramp boards we use for the loading and the unloading. I lean the two e-bikes to where the handlebars and the seat is over the edge of the truck. I still can fit in some of the other items in the back. I use the back end of the trailer for tubs with my compressor, generator, and the outside camping toilet.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:28 AM   #15
Gegrad

Finally got the rack installed after waiting on customer service to confirm it was acceptable to not use the spacers that were provided.

Took it out to a local trail Sunday and it worked perfectly. I was even able to get the bikes up there and down without getting in the bed of the truck. Of course an ebike may or may not be doable from the ground, depending on your strength and you truck.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike