Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #1
velez.marilyn

Air

Hello, I have a problem with the air conditioning. It turns on and off just like the heating. The blower does not turn on. that could be it is a remote control carrier. my RV is a 2006 outback. Help please.
velez.marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:04 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

A clearer explanation would help. "It turns on and off just like the heating"? What does that mean? Is the heating functioning but not the A/C? The blower doesn't come on....is that the A/C or the furnace?

Is this a new situation with an existing trailer or is this trailer new to you? If the thermostat is set wrong it can make the furnace and A/C fan come on but sounds like you are saying you have no fan?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:12 PM   #3
velez.marilyn

The heating turns on but the blower turns off quickly. and the air tries to turn it on but it goes out. Only the blower works if I put it only the fan but not with the air conditioning
Old 03-16-2023, 03:13 PM   #4
velez.marilyn

it is an existing system. It only works if I put the fan alone
Old 03-16-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
jasin1

like Sourdough said…could you explain it clearer?…start at the beginning ..you keep intertwining the heat and the air conditioning and giving bits and pieces…we have all the time in the world, paint us a picture of exactly what is happening when you walk up to the thermostat and switch it to air conditioning…step by step
Old 03-16-2023, 03:36 PM   #6
velez.marilyn

It is a 2006 RV with a Carrier remote control brand air conditioner. I try to turn it on but it does to turn on and it turns off. It doesn't turn on the blower. When it comes to heating, the blower turns on heat for a while and turns off. Without heating are two separate problems. If I use the remote control to put the blower if it turns on. Is it the thermostat or what will it be?
Old 03-16-2023, 03:46 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by velez.marilyn View Post
It is a 2006 RV with a Carrier remote control brand air conditioner. I try to turn it on but it does to turn on and it turns off. It doesn't turn on the blower. When it comes to heating, the blower turns on heat for a while and turns off. Without heating are two separate problems. If I use the remote control to put the blower if it turns on. Is it the thermostat or what will it be?
when you say it goes to turn on do you mean it makes a humming noise as if the compressor is running but then the fan doesn’t kick on after a couple of seconds and then everything shuts off? or does the breaker trip?
Old 03-16-2023, 04:19 PM   #8
velez.marilyn

exact turns off fast
Old 03-16-2023, 04:22 PM   #9
velez.marilyn

The air conditioning doesn't turn on anything. try to turn on but quickly grave.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:24 PM   #10
jasin1

i don’t know it’s still kinda vague…someone may chime in to help ..could be a bad capacitor keeping the compressor off …i’m not sure …good luck
Old 03-16-2023, 05:05 PM   #11
velez.marilyn

ok let me see if i make myself understood. When I go to turn on the air conditioning and I do it with the remote control, it turns on but only for about 1 minute and then turns off. only the blower moves but the compressor does not start
Old 03-16-2023, 06:42 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

There was a time that the Carrier roof top units were standard and you needed the remote to operate the system. Unfortunately I don’t think there are any replacement parts available anymore.

It may be time to replace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:22 PM   #13
firestation12

The Carrier units were wonderful when they worked. The condensate produced in the cooling mode, was slung onto the condenser coil, enhancing the performance. This eliminated the drip from the roof. One fault I noticed was the wireless remote’s batteries rapidly depleted when stored in the wall holder. The wireless remote needs to be held directly below the ceiling discharge to be seen by the IR receiver. If you decide to replace the AC, please note that you will have to find a way to pull a 18/6 conductor to a wall location to run the furnace and AC units. I would recommend you find a qualified tech to resolve what the issue is. In my opinion I’d suggest keeping the Carrier unless the compressor is done for. In either scenario, this appears beyond your capability to resolve on this forum.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:58 AM   #14
velez.marilyn

Thank you very much for the information and your time. This forum is very beneficial. I'll be looking for an expert to work it out.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:30 AM   #15
yocsr

Sounds like the starting capacitor. I had that happen and all the RV places just said replace with a new unit. I got up there and took the cover off and you could smell a burnt smell. Took the metal cover off the electrical and the starting capacitor was burnt. At that time it was a $20.00 part.
yocsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:40 AM   #16
WDPatterson

Quote:
In most travel trailers, the air conditioning unit is on the roof, and the furnace for the heater is at floor level, behind some fixture.

They are two separate units. You can select between the heater or the air conditioner.
If the air conditioner compressor comes on for a little bit, but the fan does not, you probably have a bad capacitor Up on the Roof unit.
If you set the heater to come on, say at 75°, and it runs for a few seconds and turns off, you either have no propane, or you have a bad Sail Switch.

It might be good to have that looked at, if you are not well versed at air conditioning and heating.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #17
velez.marilyn

El aire acondicionado prende el blower pero no el cimpresor por ende no enfría. Gracias por la explicación y tu tiempo

The air conditioning turns on the blower but not the compressor, therefore it does not cool. Thanks for the explanation and your time.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:22 AM   #18
WDPatterson

Quote:
El aire acondicionado prende el blower pero no el cimpresor por ende no enfría. Gracias por la explicación y tu tiempo
¡De nada!
Si hay algo más que necesites, ¡estamos aquí!

You are welcome!
If there's anything else you need, we're here!
Old 03-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #19
WDPatterson

Quote:
The air conditioner on the roof has two capacitors. One is for the fan, the other is for the compressor. You may find some burnt wires connected to them. Whichever one is not working, that is the one you'll want to replace.
To be safe, it's probably a good idea to buy both. That way, you don't have a risk of one failing in the future.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:59 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

This is quoted from the "Posting Standards" contained in the Community Rules for this forum.

"The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite."

Please take a few minutes to read the rules for future posts... You can access the Community Rules by clicking on the appropriate tab in the blue bar located at the bottom of every forum webpage.

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote