Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2023, 06:10 AM   #1
Neo1130

Girard tankless heater cuts out during showering

Hey all. 2022 Keystone Outback 291UBH with a Girard tankless water heater cuts out after about 2 or 3 minutes of showering. The display is going blank like it's in stand-by. This ONLY occurs when taking a shower and the sink in the kitchen and bath do not cut out until the 20 minute mark, as it should. Needless to say, the only two showers I have taken got extremely cold. If I shut it off for a second or two and back on, the heat will come back.

The shower head is a 2.5 GPM cheap unit. Not sure what the faucet itself flows at but the faucet restrictor had a small hole in the mixing valve that I opened up by about 15%-20% or so. On top of that, the shower head had 3 VERY small holes that I almost doubled in size. This had gotten the flow MUCH better than before. I am HOPING this will fix my issue. I cannot seem to get to the inlet valve on the heater to ensure it's all the way open. Gotta do some more digging...

If that doesn't help, what would be my next steps to see what the problem could be? Again, the display goes into stand-by after a minute or two so it seems like it isn't sensing enough flow for it to stay on. Both sinks do NOT have the problem, only the shower.

2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
2022 Keystone Outback 291UBH
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:29 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

For fun I would take the shower head off and see if the hot water stays on. At least that way you can be somewhat positive it’s the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:34 AM   #3
Neo1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
For fun I would take the shower head off and see if the hot water stays on. At least that way you can be somewhat positive it’s the issue.

Good idea! My modifications HOPEFULLY increased the flow and should help. Even hooked up to a hose, I don't feel the trailer has enough flow. Everything just kind of dribbles out. I am pretty sure it's because they are trying to set us up to conserve water...

I even took the restriction out at the faucet of the shower, but I guess that was also a check valve to allow the shower head to drain when not in use. That's why I opened the hole instead of removing it all together.

2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
2022 Keystone Outback 291UBH
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank