Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2023, 08:07 PM   #1
KJJ

Loose fold down steps

Entering our Passport 238ML this spring and noticed the steps dragged on one side. On closer inspection it looks like the rod they go around to fold up/down is no longer connected to one side. It's odd because it doesn't look like it is long enough to go through the mount hole on the outer bracket but is solidly welded to the adjacent inner bracket, like it was never long enough.
Anyway, fixable or replace the steps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230406_111112240.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	43495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230406_111148936.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	43496  
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:09 PM   #2
KJJ

Not "dragged", they drooped when stepped on.
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:43 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

It’s basically a rivet and there is no room to replace it with a bolt. Mine did the same thing and I replaced the fold-out steps with MorRyde Step Above threshold mounted tip-in steps. Then I installed a MorRyde storage box in place of the fold-out steps
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:10 AM   #4
Canonman

I'd say replace the OEM folding steps with the Step Above or Lipperts Solid Step.
Installation is easy and provides a much better/safer step to use.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
bobbecky

Another option, one that we have, is the USA made GlowStep. No more spring board and nothing in the way of your door like the solid steps, but a very solid and stable step unit. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution#specs
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Another option, one that we have, is the USA made GlowStep. No more spring board and nothing in the way of your door like the solid steps, but a very solid and stable step unit. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution#specs

Depending on how the OP uses his steps the Torklift GlowStep may or may not be the ticket. I took a set of very nice set of MorRyde Step Above steps off my RV and replaced with the GlowSteps. My problem was the fixed length of the MorRyde steps made it impossible to access the interior of the RV in the storage building. The flexible GlowSteps fixed that BUT there are some significant trade offs; they are not nearly as sturdy and flex when walking on them. I think that issue is because there are 5 steps and the length/angle makes it bounce when on them (200lbs.). If the pull out 5th step is retracted then the length between steps, and the angle, become problematic. The steps themselves are more shallow than the MorRyde plus the adjustable landing legs leave a post protrusion sticking up you trip over all the time if not careful.

I think replacement of the steps would be the solution to the problem. The product that works best would be up to the OP. Fold down solid steps are great but have the drawback of requiring lots of distance outside the entry door. Putting the storage box where the suspended steps are now is a good idea. Good luck on picking your new project OP!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

For someone on a budget, upgrading to solid steps is going to be somewhere around $300-350 plus the time to install them. The only thing wrong with the OP's steps is a broken rivet. It's true that he can't replace that rivet with a nut/bolt with the steps installed on the trailer....

BUT: He's going to have to remove them to install any other type step, and, since he's removing them, he has the "perfect opportunity" to just replace the broken rivet with a nut/bolt and some Loctite to keep it from coming apart.

Then, rather than "installing the upgrade steps" he can just "reinstall the current steps"....

Cost: Around $5 plus his time.....

Sure, an upgrade might be "nice and now is a great time since the OEM steps need repair/replacement".... On the other hand, if his budget doesn't include that kind of expense right now, he does have other options......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote