Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2023, 06:58 PM   #1
Clincoln007

2016 Passport Elite A/C issue

Can anyone answer this? Googles no help. So I put the AC on high with the temp real low and it runs for quite a while and the camper gets really cold but the AC stays running. Eventually the AC stops blowing really hard, sounds like the fan slows down and cold air isnt coming through the vents anymore more like room temperature air. Whe. I turn it off for a few hours I can turn it back on and it runs fine. What am I missing, does this sound like a thermostat issue?
Clincoln007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like the A/C is freezing up. Just replaced mine for a similar issue (I don't run it on high constantly though).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:35 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Definitely sounds like it is icing up. It could be the result of a mechanical issue, but most commonly it is because of high humidity conditions inside the living space, or the heat load exceeding the AC unit’s capacity to cool or a combination of the two.

Do you regularly clean/replace the return air filter, have you ever cleaned the condenser coil (accessible from inside), have you ever cleaned/serviced the fan, have you ever cleaned the evaporator coil (both fan and coil accessible from the roof)?

If your AC is having trouble keeping up with the heat, it is better to start the AC early and get ahead of the heat instead of trying to overcome the heat by starting later in the day. Also keep in mind that a 13.5k unit is only realistically capable of cooling 20° below ambient external temperature.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:26 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

OP re-reading your post are you saying you turn on the A/C to high fan, set the temp to a very low temperature and then just let it run?

Sounds like what you are doing may be what is freezing the unit. Why are you setting it to a very low temp and just letting it run? Realize that with the fan set to high it will not stop running; auto will let the fan cut on and off, high fan runs it at high speed until you stop it. On high the compressor will kick off and on but the fan doesn't stop - same on low speed. I've ran mine on high before and never had a freezing issue but I don't put my thermostat at "very low" temperatures. The lowest I ever set mine is 74 for the A/C.

Cleaning up the unit and making sure your filters are clean need to be done periodically. If the filters are dirty and choke the intake the A/C will freeze up. It happens quite often when folks don't clean the filters. They are self contained units so not much "repair" work they can do to them.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:52 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clincoln007 View Post
Can anyone answer this? Googles no help. So I put the AC on high with the temp real low and it runs for quite a while and the camper gets really cold but the AC stays running. Eventually the AC stops blowing really hard, sounds like the fan slows down and cold air isnt coming through the vents anymore more like room temperature air. Whe. I turn it off for a few hours I can turn it back on and it runs fine. What am I missing, does this sound like a thermostat issue?
Welcome to the forum. Can you elaborate on "temp real low" and "runs quite awhile". If you set the t'stat below about 60° and leave it there long after the inside temp hits around 65 then the coil will freeze. The freeze sensor should shut off the compressor before that happens but there's absolutely no purpose in trying it. The ac unit is not designed to operate a walk-in cooler and turning the t'stat down low will not cool the space any faster.

If the coil freezes up during "nornal" operations, i.e. t'stat is set above 68° and exterior doors/windows shut then there may be an issue with either restricted airflow, improper freeze s'stat adjustment or low refrigerant level or other issue with the ac unit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #6
Clincoln007

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Can you elaborate on "temp real low" and "runs quite awhile". If you set the t'stat below about 60° and leave it there long after the inside temp hits around 65 then the coil will freeze. The freeze sensor should shut off the compressor before that happens but there's absolutely no purpose in trying it. The ac unit is not designed to operate a walk-in cooler and turning the t'stat down low will not cool the space any faster.

If the coil freezes up during "nornal" operations, i.e. t'stat is set above 68° and exterior doors/windows shut then there may be an issue with either restricted airflow, improper freeze s'stat adjustment or low refrigerant level or other issue with the ac unit.
I guess I'm not explaining it clearly. I set the temp at 65 or 67 and it's in Auto. When I turn it on the fan blows on high and ice cold air comes out but it never turns off no matter how cold it gets in the camper, eventually the fan isn't blowing as hard and the air coming out isn't cold but it stays on. I know the thermostat isn't the thing turning it off because many times it would be at like 5 in the morning and you wake up and it's like 80 in the camper and the ac is on but barely blowing warm air. If you turn it off and wait a while and turn it back on it works fine again, but stays blowing cold air in high until it's freezing in the camper and eventually it stops working and I have to shut it down again and wait. Does this make more sense? It never shuts completely off it just stops blowing cold and and the fan doesn't blow as hard. It also doesn't turn off when it reaches a certain temp it just keeps going, we were sleeping under blankets in August during a heat wave!
Old 03-24-2023, 12:21 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I guess I'm not explaining it clearly. I set the temp at 65 or 67 and it's in Auto. When I turn it on the fan blows on high and ice cold air comes out but it never turns off no matter how cold it gets in the camper, eventually the fan isn't blowing as hard and the air coming out isn't cold but it stays on. I know the thermostat isn't the thing turning it off because many times it would be at like 5 in the morning and you wake up and it's like 80 in the camper and the ac is on but barely blowing warm air. If you turn it off and wait a while and turn it back on it works fine again, but stays blowing cold air in high until it's freezing in the camper and eventually it stops working and I have to shut it down again and wait. Does this make more sense? It never shuts completely off it just stops blowing cold and and the fan doesn't blow as hard. It also doesn't turn off when it reaches a certain temp it just keeps going, we were sleeping under blankets in August during a heat wave!
That sounds like a thermostat issue. Is your thermostate a seperate wall mounted Stat or is controlled via a touch screen?
Old 03-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of A/C and thermostat do you have? Yes, that does sound like a thermostat but just any thermostat won't work with just any A/C unit.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:55 PM   #9
Clincoln007

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That sounds like a thermostat issue. Is your thermostate a seperate wall mounted Stat or is controlled via a touch screen?
It's a wall mounted thermostat with a digital screen not a touch screen
Old 03-24-2023, 02:26 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It's a wall mounted thermostat with a digital screen not a touch screen
Sounds like either the thermostat is not recognizing the temperature of the room or the relay in the air conditioner is sticking. Do you have and understand how to use a multimieter?

Make/model # of thermostat and A/C unit will help in anyone wishing to give detailed help.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:19 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

The thermostat should have the manufacturer name on it; Dometic? Coleman? Just google "Dometic RV thermostat" or the same for Coleman (or whichever) and find the right one then post back. If you don't know the brand of the A/C do you have the owner manuals?
Old 03-24-2023, 03:50 PM   #12
Clincoln007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The thermostat should have the manufacturer name on it; Dometic? Coleman? Just google "Dometic RV thermostat" or the same for Coleman (or whichever) and find the right one then post back. If you don't know the brand of the A/C do you have the owner manuals?
I remember it's dometic, I put it up as a seasonal and I'm not to be up there for another 3 weeks but was hoping to see if anyone knew what was going on. I'm a big dude like 300 lbs, I'm super nervous walking on the roof but can if I have to, I literally fix everything, I'm just worried I'm going to have a Christmas vacation moment and fall through
Old 03-24-2023, 04:44 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I remember it's dometic, I put it up as a seasonal and I'm not to be up there for another 3 weeks but was hoping to see if anyone knew what was going on. I'm a big dude like 300 lbs, I'm super nervous walking on the roof but can if I have to, I literally fix everything, I'm just worried I'm going to have a Christmas vacation moment and fall through
Use some rigid foam board or 3/8" plywood under you to walk on. If you crawl on your hands and knees on the boards that will distribute the weight even further. If you're super concerned then it might better suite you to call a mobile tech.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:28 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

You need to know more than you know before thinking you need to be on the roof. No one will know what's going on until you provide more specifics. Your description sounds like a thermostat but you haven't said that the filters are clean, dirty, replaced etc. The Dometic CT thermostat has a known problem but you have to know if you have one. If you don't know what you have you are guessing and so are we....it doesn't do you much good.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:07 PM   #15
Clincoln007

Quote:
You need to know more than you know before thinking you need to be on the roof. No one will know what's going on until you provide more specifics. Your description sounds like a thermostat but you haven't said that the filters are clean, dirty, replaced etc. The Dometic CT thermostat has a known problem but you have to know if you have one. If you don't know what you have you are guessing and so are we....it doesn't do you much good.
Thanks I appreciate all the replies! I'll check it out in a couple weeks. When I turn the heat on the ac blower comes on too, but no cold air comes out thank god, I have to turn off the AC breaker to stop it. Could that be a thermostat issue too?
Old 03-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate all the replies! I'll check it out in a couple weeks. When I turn the heat on the ac blower comes on too, but no cold air comes out thank god, I have to turn off the AC breaker to stop it. Could that be a thermostat issue too?
You're setting your fan to high. Set it on auto.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:18 PM   #17
Clincoln007

Quote:
You're setting your fan to high. Set it on auto.
No it's on auto! Makes no sense
Old 03-24-2023, 08:10 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
No it's on auto! Makes no sense
Get back on the make/model of A/C and thermostat. Almost sounds like you have a Dometic CT thermostat - they have a mind of their own.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:25 AM   #19
Domino3665

I know you’ve heard this…”work smarter, not harder.”
You have a 2016 rig. Check the duct work connections at the A/C unit. You may find the tape holding the ducting to the A/C unit has come loose or fallen off over the years. If that is the case, you are largely cooling the “attic” of your rig.
Domino3665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:20 AM   #20
apachewolf

Quote:
My Keystone Laredo 240MK came with el-cheap-o thermostat. I went to Walmart and got a Honeywell Home RTH221B1039 1-Week Programmable Thermostat for about $ 20.00 That was years ago I see that it is still available from Honeywell and on Am,azon. The price ranges from $ 18 to $ 30. It was super easy to install and runs on 2 AAA bateries. It controls both AC and heater. Simple solution with 1 week/4 daily settings. How it will work with the new fancy systems with center control and Bluetooth? I don’t know. I don’t have that stuff in my camper. But if there are 4 wires running to the AC and heater it should work. I even use one in my home with no problem.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport