Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
WOW.....

I am such a dinosaur, are you guys speaking english?

I can't even find the knobs on my smart TV.

When I try and ask Alexa a question after I ask my wife and she tells me to just ask Alexa, she says to me: "This is what I found, I will talk real slow and loud to you.......

I think I am going to go back to my "bridge post"
Many folks are alarmed that Alexa is always listening in ( how else would it know if you gave it a command?) and that they record and analyze conversations with the device. This doesn't bother me in the least. Often they might think they "dropped in" to a biker bar at last call if they listen to my rantings at the device using "colorful language".

As a side note: when I would swear at the little box my DW would say "it's no wonder it doesn't like you, you mumble when you talk." Funny thing is, she hasn't said that since she bought new hearing aids. I of course admitted mumbling and said I'd work on speaking more clearly.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:23 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Many folks are alarmed that Alexa is always listening in ( how else would it know if you gave it a command?) and that they record and analyze conversations with the device. This doesn't bother me in the least. Often they might think they "dropped in" to a biker bar at last call if they listen to my rantings at the device using "colorful language".

As a side note: when I would swear at the little box my DW would say "it's no wonder it doesn't like you, you mumble when you talk." Funny thing is, she hasn't said that since she bought new hearing aids. I of course admitted mumbling and said I'd work on speaking more clearly.
Down a rabbit trail Marshall and I am sure I will get scolded but since hearing aids have become OTC, the prices have dropped tremendously. My wife paid thousands of dollars on her first set and that set wasn't anything special. She lost one hearing aid taking off her motorcycle helmet and just bought another for under $400 and it works as well, if not better. Not sure I always appreciate her hearing my mumbling but she can hear the television without turning the volume up to the painful level.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:33 AM   #23
wegone

Quote:

Oh make no mistake she listens in.....

My wife has been experiencing some concerns, no, make that she has been hounding me about losing some weight in when she finds me late at night making a healthy snack.....
The kitchen is where Alexa lives.

Now even this site here gives me ads about trimming my belly down with a new earth shattering discovering.

Yeah, no longer are the black helicopters overhead, they are inside the house now.....

The Andromeda Strain is in my head
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:10 AM   #24
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
What other options might there be that I'm unaware of? What works for you?
On my 7 week cross country trip last spring, I took my laptop. I tethered it via USB cable to my Moto G phone and had great internet connection - - as long as we had a cell signal. No extra services, no hot spot device, no glitches. I just booted up the laptop, connected the phone to it and went online. We use Consumer Cellular and I have since upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy phone.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:41 PM   #25
Matty Rich

Hands down StarLink is the best thing that’s happened for internet on the go.
I’d pay double for my service. Been lots of places with little to no cell service and StarLink will hit has high as 200down 40up. That’s better than most people’s home service with a cable provider.
I’m currently using it in Central California, where right now the entire west coast is considered “low capacity”. 100+ down 10up.

To me. It’s worth every penny plus some.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:06 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:

I took my Alexa out of the kitchen…unplugged and in my basement storage…it’s probably still communicating via radio waves to Jeff Bezos though..i went into the settings to delete stored conversations when i had it running but who knows how that really works

I’m not a big fan of SNL but this Alexa skit was by far the one of the funniest things i’ve seen.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:40 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

A member of my family had Alexa, used it a lot and thought it was convenient....for a while. She holds a position where she routinely discusses and works on priority, proprietary and very sensitive information that could have be used to do great harm if someone were to become privy to it. She became paranoid about Alexa and hers too went "bye bye" and she's been much happier since.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:50 AM   #28
dutchmensport

Alexa? Smart Televisions, actually .... anything that connects to the internet .... is a real threat to the privacy in your own home.

I retired a year ago. But I worked in Information Technology for many, many years. When Covid hit, we ALL took our laptops and worked from home.

Now, because my company had government contracts, we were required to take "certain" "compliance courses" that were essential for "uncle sam" related employees. One of those "compliance courses" was a subject on security and privacy in the work place and at home.

Things were discussed, like having casual conversations about things at "work" while dining out, going to bars, talking to friends, and ESPECIALLY social media. Of course, Email correspondence and "secure" internet connections was part of it.

But then, at the end of the class, it threw a "whammy" at us. My "suspicions" for years and years was finally 100% absolutely confirmed! And that was, listening devices in your home are not private. Anything connected to the internet can be a listening device and anyone intending to do "harm" can hack it.

It specifically called out Alexa and such devices. It used several REAL case stories where folks were having computer meetings at home, like Microsoft Teams or Skype, different programs where the computer had a microphone and speakers.

What was happening, these devices were running in the background while folks were have their company meetings. The devices were picking up the conversations and there WERE folks listening with "dishonorable intentions". In other word, the company got hacked! As a result it cost these companies millions and millions of dollars when everything was figured out. All of these were true stories.

Since then, I've retired. If someone is listening to my conversation, all they'll probably hear me talk about is which campground we're planning on traveling to someday!

But, I have heard stories (not on the main stream media sites), of things like thermostats that are controlled remotely in homes and even robotic sweepers that can be controlled by your smart phone HAVE listened in people's homes in privacy and those folks got into a lot of problems with all sorts of things because of that.

Unfortunately, we are living in the day of some pretty advanced electronics. We are also living in a day and age where our own government and the governments of this world are not trustworthy any more either. What may appear to be perfectly normal and acceptable to you in your past, may be considered a threat today. Certain conversations in your own home, in the privacy of your own automobile, even in jest, could end you up in jail for the rest of your life!

The "threat" is real. But far too many folks still don't believe it, even though there are documented cases. Don't think for a moment that devices like "Alexa" were created for YOUR convenience. Nope, they were created for less than honorable intentions.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:21 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

The biggest problem with privacy from electronic detection such as Alexa, et al, is that folks say they have no problem with being listened to surreptitiously as they never say anything they wouldn't want heard in public. Interesting article on this subject:

https://www.iflscience.com/your-devi...ery-move-35300
Old 02-09-2023, 10:23 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The biggest problem with privacy from electronic detection such as Alexa, et al, is that folks say they have no problem with being listened to surreptitiously as they never say anything they wouldn't want heard in public. Interesting article on this subject:

https://www.iflscience.com/your-devi...ery-move-35300
amazon purchased Irobot which makes roomba vacuum cleaners..between that an alexa they will know everything about your home.

another thing people don’t realize is that certain apps we put on our phones…the default setting is to “allow the app to access microphone” i go thru periodically and make sure it’s switched off ..why does honeywell need access to my microphone on my thermostat?
Old 02-09-2023, 11:09 AM   #31
peanut

All of these conversations about Alexa and other similar type devices remind me of the last television we bought. The sales clerk kept trying to push a set on us that had a voice control feature. I kept refusing and kept asking questions about the set that was right next to it (same manufacturer but a lower tier model). He kept saying (to the effect of), "But this one has voice control - and it's on sale." It was on sale and would have been cheaper than the lower tier model next to it, which was the one we bought. It has no "voice control" or any microphone of any kind built into it. He was absolutely shocked; couldn't believe we didn't want something listening to us all the time. And that is, IMO, a big part of the problem. This tech gets pushed and pushed and people don't take the time to investigate the implications and results. No voice activated in our house or trailer - - ever.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:13 PM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

What type of cell phone do you use? Just askin…

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:39 PM   #33
Max23

I know this is gonna make me the odd man out, and hey, I am used to being the odd man believe me!!! But.................. I love my tech. I don't use alexa but I can walk around my house and tell google to change the thermostat, open the shades, turn off and on lights etc. etc. wouldn't have it any other way. Hell, I got nothing to hide, there is no way to communicate in todays world without someone spying on you. There are bots out there listening to every phone call, combing every text looking to key words to trigger a look into. I just chose to move on and not worry about it. I guess, when I do have something to hide, I may take all this stuff down and start sending smoke signals again. LOL!!!!! Hope nobody takes this wrong, not expecting to be agreed with, not saying anyone is wrong for how they do it, just sayin, thats my view and I love my tech!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
I know this is gonna make me the odd man out, and hey, I am used to being the odd man believe me!!! But.................. I love my tech. I don't use alexa but I can walk around my house and tell google to change the thermostat, open the shades, turn off and on lights etc. etc. wouldn't have it any other way. Hell, I got nothing to hide, there is no way to communicate in todays world without someone spying on you. There are bots out there listening to every phone call, combing every text looking to key words to trigger a look into. I just chose to move on and not worry about it. I guess, when I do have something to hide, I may take all this stuff down and start sending smoke signals again. LOL!!!!! Hope nobody takes this wrong, not expecting to be agreed with, not saying anyone is wrong for how they do it, just sayin, thats my view and I love my tech!!
I work 37 miles away, ring doorbell allows the DW to feel safer without having to answer the door. Simply Safe cameras allow me see what’s going on and call mama if I need to. Honeywell remote thermostat is Da Bomb.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:57 PM   #35
wiredgeorge

All this talk about lazy man automation and I think I have found the ideal tech bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Clapper-Activ...0000CGKLR?th=1
Old 02-09-2023, 02:49 PM   #36
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
All this talk about lazy man automation and I think I have found the ideal tech bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Clapper-Activ...0000CGKLR?th=1
LOL!!! To much work!! Gotta clap, I'd rather just say "hey google" turn on the light. LOL!!!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM   #37
wegone

I use to get random sales calls a lot.
Tried the don't call list, didn't work.
So I changed my tactics.
I'd talk to them real nice, then tell them I was nekked and invite them to as well, etc....

Calls stopped.

Maybe I should stand in front of Alexa nekked and invite whoever is looking in....
I'm sure we'd see an uptick in news reports that people have plucked their eyes out at work.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:19 PM   #38
vampress_me

Can I say we have the original Alexa? Our daughter’s name is Alexa, and, well, let’s just say she did NOT like it when we would tease her by saying “Alexa, what’s the weather outside” “Alexa, change the channel please”, etc when the Alexa devices first came out and were being advertised heavily. But, I found out a couple of her friend’s parents who have an Alexa in their house have changed it’s name because apparently it was becoming quite hilarious when everyone was talking and calling our Alexa’s name, and that digital Alexa would answer…

However, now that she’s off at college living in an apartment with friends, she loves the sign I bought for their kitchen “Alexa, make dinner”.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:51 AM   #39
HDroadglide

I have switched to a mobile Verizon Internet Gateway. This is a small box that I use at home for my internet, but as the Verizon dealer told me I unplug it take it in my camper and where i get a signal for my phone I will get Internet and I can stream Netflix, it has work great, and is only $25.00 a month added to my cell phone bill.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:04 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDroadglide View Post
I have switched to a mobile Verizon Internet Gateway. This is a small box that I use at home for my internet, but as the Verizon dealer told me I unplug it take it in my camper and where i get a signal for my phone I will get Internet and I can stream Netflix, it has work great, and is only $25.00 a month added to my cell phone bill.
What is the model and brand of your "Verison Internet Gateway" ???

Is it a Verison MIFI or is it some other device, such as their "home internet gateway" or maybe a newer device they are just introducing?????

Lots of Verison customers would be interested to know which device you're using....

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote