Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #1
PackFan

Cougar 24SABWE Converter Wiring Diagram

Camping World has struck again!

I took my Cougar 24SABWE in to have the converter frame/door replaced as it was broken on delivery. The attached picture is how I got it back- with no labels of any kind on the breakers and fuses. The tech failed to transfer them, right them down, take a picture, or save the old part.

Camping World said all trailers are wiring uniquely and I could make another appointment and they would attempt to label everything, but I am going to pass based on the time and frustration to get anything done there.

That leaves me with trying to figure out how to label all the circuits. I have Keystone's Color Coded 12 Volt Wiring Standard as a starting point: https://www.keystonerv.com/innovatio...r-coded-wiring

If another 24SABWE owner can help me out, it would also be nice to have a picture of an existing 24SABWE converter's labeling as an additional reference.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter Door Assembly.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	43559  
PackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

That's a shame and some additional work. Some things to think about; I've never had a trailer in for warranty work where they returned the parts OR duplicated "custom" work which is how they probably looked at the labeling. They replaced the frame and panel as they were authorized and were done. Not so good for you and not the right way for them to do it IMO but here you are. I personally would be talking to the service manager to determine why in the world the designations for each breaker/fuse was not transferred to the new cover. They HAD to know the grief that was going to cause you.

You can talk to someone else with the same trailer and use it as a possible template, don't assume it is the same as yours because these things are sometimes whipped together on the whim of a guy that wants to go home - verify. You can use the wiring in the back of the panel to try to trace the 12vdc wires to the proper location based on color (verify them at the terminating end). Your 120vac will be a bit more difficult. If you have 20A breakers they will be the big users in the RV so those will be easy to isolate. The 15A breakers will go to "everything else". Get a tester and use it to see what's what with one breaker at a time. Hopefully the wiring code for the 12v will be accurate. When I bought this trailer I had switches that turned on stuff that DW and I both had to wander around the trailer inside and out to find. When you have it all sorted out RECORD it in some manner. I keep an RV folder/notebook with a layout of the breaker panel and uses for each breaker/fuse as well as pictures in my RV digital picture folder.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
Bill-2020

Your breakers should also be aligned better with the cover on the bar they are attached to Unplug the camper, disconnect the batteries from any inverter and the camper and see if the breakers are loose or what. Get that fixed before you have and electrical problem.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
PackFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That's a shame and some additional work. Some things to think about; I've never had a trailer in for warranty work where they returned the parts OR duplicated "custom" work which is how they probably looked at the labeling. They replaced the frame and panel as they were authorized and were done. Not so good for you and not the right way for them to do it IMO but here you are. I personally would be talking to the service manager to determine why in the world the designations for each breaker/fuse was not transferred to the new cover. They HAD to know the grief that was going to cause you.

You can talk to someone else with the same trailer and use it as a possible template, don't assume it is the same as yours because these things are sometimes whipped together on the whim of a guy that wants to go home - verify. You can use the wiring in the back of the panel to try to trace the 12vdc wires to the proper location based on color (verify them at the terminating end). Your 120vac will be a bit more difficult. If you have 20A breakers they will be the big users in the RV so those will be easy to isolate. The 15A breakers will go to "everything else". Get a tester and use it to see what's what with one breaker at a time. Hopefully the wiring code for the 12v will be accurate. When I bought this trailer I had switches that turned on stuff that DW and I both had to wander around the trailer inside and out to find. When you have it all sorted out RECORD it in some manner. I keep an RV folder/notebook with a layout of the breaker panel and uses for each breaker/fuse as well as pictures in my RV digital picture folder.
Thanks Sourdough. Good advice. I called and talked with the Service Manager, but there wasn't much he could do as the damage was already done. I know it may not match up, but another 24SABWE wiring may give me somewhere to start.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:50 PM   #5
PackFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Your breakers should also be aligned better with the cover on the bar they are attached to Unplug the camper, disconnect the batteries from any inverter and the camper and see if the breakers are loose or what. Get that fixed before you have and electrical problem.
Thanks. I will take a look.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:54 PM   #6
jasin1

i don’t think i’d worry about it too much at this point unless your bored and feel like messing with it…you may never have to replace a fuse or reset a breaker as long as you own the trailer….id write down what fuse size is in what location and leave it like that for now…if an item in the trailer stops working and you check the fuses and one is blown just make sure to replace with same size and write down what it controls….But if you have some time on your hands you could turn everything on and just pull a fuse and see what stops working and label it accordingly but it isn’t the end of the world if you don’t do it….check the breakers the same way ..there isn’t that many systems in the trailer so won’t take long

I have many more fuses and breakers on my boat and in over 10 years i can’t remember if i’ve ever had a fuse blow..and i maybe reset a breaker a couple of times for the microwave or coffee maker if i remember correctly
Old 04-19-2023, 06:21 PM   #7
PackFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i don’t think i’d worry about it too much at this point unless your bored and feel like messing with it…you may never have to replace a fuse or reset a breaker as long as you own the trailer….id write down what fuse size is in what location and leave it like that for now…if an item in the trailer stops working and you check the fuses and one is blown just make sure to replace with same size and write down what it controls….But if you have some time on your hands you could turn everything on and just pull a fuse and see what stops working and label it accordingly but it isn’t the end of the world if you don’t do it….check the breakers the same way ..there isn’t that many systems in the trailer so won’t take long

I have many more fuses and breakers on my boat and in over 10 years i can’t remember if i’ve ever had a fuse blow..and i maybe reset a breaker a couple of times for the microwave or coffee maker if i remember correctly
True. I may just re-label the 120vac breakers and let the 12vdc go.

I just remembered I took a picture to identify the WFCO converter model number a while back- attached. Now I just need to decipher the scribbling.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch the 12vdc side in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OLd Converter.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	43562  
Old 04-19-2023, 07:31 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post

I just remembered I took a picture to identify the WFCO converter model number a while back- attached. Now I just need to decipher the scribbling.

I agree. I do turn off a 120vac breaker from time to time if I'm working on something, cut off water heater etc. so to me that labeling is important. Something usually stops working in the 12vdc arena that tells me to look at a fuse so it self identifies..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:25 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

The breakers are not mis-aligned the panel cover is. Looks like the top fuses are partially covered. Look at the screws that hold it on, they are at the end of the adjustment slots. That's just sloppy/careless work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:57 AM   #10
PackFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The breakers are not mis-aligned the panel cover is. Looks like the top fuses are partially covered. Look at the screws that hold it on, they are at the end of the adjustment slots. That's just sloppy/careless work.
Ok Thanks. Will do.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:26 AM   #11
Bob1970

Quote:

AC, GFI, GENERAL, microwave, converter, water heater. Same as my 24sabwe.
Bob1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:38 AM   #12
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1970 View Post
AC, GFI, GENERAL, microwave, converter, water heater. Same as my 24sabwe.
If possible, would you be able to take a snap shot of your fuse list for somewhat of a reference for the OP?
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:47 AM   #13
Bob1970

Yes. Bear with me. Just at work and will send a pick in about 3 hrs.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:19 PM   #14
Bob1970

I can't seem to attach the photo, so going old school. From top (all 15 amp fuses)...
Bed
Liv
Bath
Fans/Ipg
Monitor
Ref
Stereo
S/O Light

and for the converter, just to confirm (on mine)...
Main
AC
Micro
Gen
GFI
W/H
Conv

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1970 View Post
I can't seem to attach the photo, so going old school. From top (all 15 amp fuses)...
Bed
Liv
Bath
Fans/Ipg
Monitor
Ref
Stereo
S/O Light

and for the converter, just to confirm (on mine)...
Main
AC
Micro
Gen
GFI
W/H
Conv

Hope this helps.
Bob, suggest you use the Go Advanced button. If you have an image you wish to attach, get it on your computer. Click the Manage Attachments button and then a box will pop up and it will have a Choose File button. This works like a file manager; scroll to the image to be uploaded and click on it and then hit the Upload button and close the box. The image will appear where you left your cursor.

In a 30A trailer, the main breaker will always be 30A and the A/C and microwave 20A breakers. I would go over to my camper and take a pic but have a different brand of power center (old camper).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #16
LHaven

I don't have the same model as you do, but going by the rule of thumb that the factory guys tend to wire up these circuits in the same order, this photo should at least approximate the order of what you have. At the very least, it will give you a guide where you can pull/switch each circuit in turn and ask a helper, "did the XYZ go off?" and if it did, it speeds up your labeling. (The hand-pencilled addenda are free!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	43638  
Old 04-27-2023, 03:07 PM   #17
Bob1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Bob, suggest you use the Go Advanced button. If you have an image you wish to attach, get it on your computer. Click the Manage Attachments button and then a box will pop up and it will have a Choose File button. This works like a file manager; scroll to the image to be uploaded and click on it and then hit the Upload button and close the box. The image will appear where you left your cursor.

In a 30A trailer, the main breaker will always be 30A and the A/C and microwave 20A breakers. I would go over to my camper and take a pic but have a different brand of power center (old camper).
My mention of 15a is for all the 12v fuses. Yes, the main will be 30a on te 110 circuit breaker portion of the panel.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:20 PM   #18
PackFan

Thanks to all for the help!

I tested and relabeled the 120 vac side. My sequence was Main, A/C, GFI/Gen, Microwave, Converter, and Water Heater. So a little different than others.

I also added an additional breaker as the Inverter was also wired to the Converter circuit. This will enable me to turn on and off the Converter charger without impacting the Inverter.

I will keep the 12 vdc pictures in the event I have a blown fuse down the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Converter Wiring.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	43642  
Old 04-28-2023, 06:59 AM   #19
Mainer

That's better than getting home and find the put the lug nuts on backwards. Don't think I'll ever be back to my nearby Campers World.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Thanks to all for the help!

I tested and relabeled the 120 vac side. My sequence was Main, A/C, GFI/Gen, Microwave, Converter, and Water Heater. So a little different than others.

I also added an additional breaker as the Inverter was also wired to the Converter circuit. This will enable me to turn on and off the Converter charger without impacting the Inverter.

I will keep the 12 vdc pictures in the event I have a blown fuse down the road.
You may want to ensure your CONVERTER breaker is in the ON position else the battery won't charge and will quickly discharge with lights on (12V).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, cougar, wiring, wiring diagram