Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
rev114

2010 361LEV slide out blowing fuses

So, I have an interesting one.

Brand new 361, took it on the maiden voyage (locally, I have been to this rodeo before) Because I did alot of testing at pick up (got all my A/C vents retaped, a door realigned, my batteries (2 Trojan 6volts in series) installed and a few other things), I was hopeful that I would have no big issues (I had a trip to Talladega in two weeks and couldn't have a failure there!). When I went to leave the campsite my landing gear motor sounded very weak. Took a look (I had to lift about 9 inches due to a downhill campsite) at about the 3 inch point and the motor was to hot to touch. Well, its going back to the dealer anyway so I went ahead to lift some more.... motor starts smoking and stops at about 5 inches. So, time to crank by hand.... wow, first time for me (I had another Keystone TH before this one, never had a failure in the landing gear) and that last 4 inches wore me out. It didn't help that the plastic tabs broke off the gear box and my wife had to hold the gear box from turning while I cranked. Obviously I was not a happy camper (sorry for the bad pun.

Took it to the dealer... they had it for a week (they did not have a new gear box in stock, low failure item they said). They called me to pick it up (I was getting nervouis, I was leaving for Dega in 5 days! I went in, they said they replaced the motor and gearbox. I went out to hook it up.... and it lifted for about 1 second, then blew the 30 amp fuse. Long story short, service guy cam out, blew about 6 more fuses before determining that the problem was the switch on the firewall of the camper... also found out that the remote for the landing gear worked! Even with the fuse blown! The controler for the remote system is wirenutted to the motor at the same place as the hardwires..... hmmm

Anyways, it takes them a day to get a new hardwire harness (it includes the switch and all the wires from the battery to the motor), and install it. I go to get my camper... we lift it up, run it down, lift it up again and hook it to my truck (two days till I leave for Dega!). When I get home from the dealership and am lifting it off my truck..... the fuse blows again!.

Needless to say, since the remote still works, I go to Dega and, using the remote (with the blown fuse in place), I had not trouble working the landing gear!

I am confused as to why, if I run with my remote it works, if I use the switch it blows the fuse? I have not found the fuse for the remote line yet (to see if it is also 30 amp.... both the remote and the hardwire are running the same motor..

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

PS I loved my last Keystone and I had no problems at Dega so love is growing for this one....
1985 Cris Craft Scorpion (two 300HP Chevy 350's)
rev114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
BigCajun

Same issues with my 361. My fuse was located above the genny where noone could reach it. I had the dealership move the location to side compartment where I could get to it easily. I then purchased a pack of replacement fuses as it seems I will need many with this rig.

There is another thread on this topic with many replies. Check it out.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
rev114

Thanks for the response, I searched for this and did not find it (prior to posting, I admit to being a lurker here for a while). Could you point me to the thread please?

So, are you telling me that you are just accepting that the fuse blows alot? I will determine the problem and tell you all how to fix it. Its just electricity and it can be fixed! I have a 100amp meter.... I intend to hook it up and see what the volts and amps are doing when the fuse blows for starters....
Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Think you might have searched the wrong title. Your post says slideout fuse, but you seem to be talking about landing gear legs. I think Big Cajun is referring to those posts. Type "landing gear" into the search box, and you should get some info.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #5
rev114

Well I did a quick test for current and it appears the motor for the landing gear has very cheap/dirty brushes and/or windings. The current draw is not very steady under load. It is pulling very close to 30 amps with lots of spikes. I like the remote and am happy to use it most of the time but do not want to be at the mercy of remote batteries... So as a short term fix I did a little internet research and found Bussman makes a type I (auto resetting) 30 amp blade circuit breaker (google cb221-30) that can replace the fuse that is only $5 (at autozone, they had to order it from the warehouse) (cheaper in the long run than buying packs of fuses). In the long term I guess I will look into a better motor.

Still is curious that the remote controller doesn't blow a fuse (haven't looked into the controller yet)
Old 11-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
BigCajun

Since the fuse was replaced, I have used the camper on three trips and also back and forth to storage between trips. I have not blown another fuse yet.