Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Foy

Difficulty Audio Equipment

First please allow me to state I joined this Forum in hopes that I might be able to learn more about my R.V by reading post.

My wife and I recently purchased a new Hornet 27 BHS from a local dealer. This dealer with the owner and two part time employees has to be I am sure the smallest Keystone Dealer.

The new camper replaced my current camper and is in the same location. Our camper is at a Seasonal RV site.

In our previous camper we received the following Paul Bunyan 9-1, 9-2, 9-3, 9-4, 9-5, 9-6 WCCO 12.1 Fox 26.1 KMTP 28 ABC 30 and PTL 42.

My current TV JE2608WVRTL receives the following stations 9-1, 9-2, 9-3,9-4, 9-5, 9-6 ABC 30 and PTL 42 Please note ABC 30 is very fuzzy. and when I do get 26.1 the picture is clear and pixels break up. I receive a no signal message. I can not receive WCCO 12.1 or KMTP 28 at all.

Our previous pictures on all channels was good to excellent.

Secondly we tried playing a DVD in our Jensen AWM970IP. Every DVD we played had a clicking sound in the unit as the DVD played.

When I spoke with the dealers prep person he told me he tried the TV in the metal building.

How can one determine signal strength in a metal building?

Dealer told me leaves could be affecting the signal. I told the dealer we have fewer leaves in MN now than in the summer. Dealer also claimed he did not want to ship electroncis equipment back due to shipping cost.

Please advise.

Kindest Regards
Foy
Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Foy, First let me say, welcome to the forum. Now let me ask some silly questions. Was the old trailer higher than the new one ..... Even a few inches can make a difference with UHF digital signals ... also the physical location on the trailer front to rear could have something blocking the signal (a tree maybe) Adding a "Wingman" to your present antenna may improve the weak signals somewhat. It is inexpensive and installs in five minutes and available at most RV stores that carry Winegard or on-line.

As for the noisy Jensen .... I don't use mine, I use a cheap Blu-ray that improves DVDs for a much better picture. I don't know what your dealer is talking about ..... that whole Jensen unit weighs less than two pounds and could be shipped anywhere for a few dollars.
I hope my ramblings helped somewhat. Perhaps someone else can chime in, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Foy:
You might try visiting the Jensen website (www.jensenmarinedirect.com) and go to their Technical Support link or phone them at 877-305-0445 and speak with a technician about the clicking noise when you are playing DVD's. It might be worthwhile to ask them about the warranty and return policy regarding your Jensen.
Does your Seasonal RV site have access to cable TV hookup? If it does, you should be getting pretty much the same reception as your dealer if they are in close proximity to you.
Like Hank, I am puzzled by your dealer's comment about high shipping costs and his reluctance to send the unit away.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Flyguy

In the past I upgraded my Jensen AWM910 radio to an AWM950 radio which included a DVD player, when the DVD player kept rejecting a DVD and would not play corectly I consulted the trouble shooting guide found here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Radio/AW...ng%20Guide.pdf (read "DVD does not play correctly") in it I read that there was a shipping screw located at the back of the radio which locked the DVD player down to prevent damage during shipping, I pulled the radio out and found the screw in the back and removed it (there was a tag on it which said to remove before installing the radio), after removing the screw the DVD player worked just fine and has so ever since. Maybe my experience will help you! Just a thought.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Foy

Spoke With Winegard Today

After playing phone tag with Winegard for three days I received a call from the technician regarding my signal problems.

She stated that with the add on Winegard Unit we could be receiving too much signal on the UHF side.

She suggested we try only cranking up the antenna part of the way and try checking for signal. I beleive we are the only camper having the Winegard Unit UHF unit.

Has anyone else received such information.

Kindest Regards
Foy
Foy is offline   Reply With Quote