Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 04:03 AM   #61
notanlines

From a Ford F450 owner, also former owner of a number of 350's and many 250's and 2500's over the years: Prepare your SO and yourself for a rough ride. You have to be an actual 'truck family' to fully enjoy a one-ton dually or an F450. The duallies do NOT have the ride of a half-ton.
DW and I spend the 5 months May-September in northern Wisconsin. Our most enjoyable pastime is driving the backroads in search of wildlife. While we could be driving our Bronco, which is a great around-town ride, we are most happy higher up in the F450.
Did anyone mention it will turn on a dime?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 05-16-2023, 07:16 AM   #62
JRTJH
Site Team

There's been some questions about the FX4 package and what all it "might do to towing capability"...

Here's the information from the Ford website about the contents of the FX4 package.

The build sheet for the F450 give the information that the shocks are Rancho "upgrade" shocks, tuned for off-road and on-road use. With the suspension on the F450, I wouldn't worry too much about "handling impact from the FX4 package. Around here, nearly every Ford truck includes the FX4 package, just to get the skid plates for the transfer case and fuel tank. I've never heard of anyone "changing things included with the FX4 package because of towing problems...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FX4 PACKAGE INFO.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	43913  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2023, 09:42 AM   #63
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's been some questions about the FX4 package and what all it "might do to towing capability"...

Here's the information from the Ford website about the contents of the FX4 package.

The build sheet for the F450 give the information that the shocks are Rancho "upgrade" shocks, tuned for off-road and on-road use. With the suspension on the F450, I wouldn't worry too much about "handling impact from the FX4 package. Around here, nearly every Ford truck includes the FX4 package, just to get the skid plates for the transfer case and fuel tank. I've never heard of anyone "changing things included with the FX4 package because of towing problems...
By golly, I had Rancho shocks on my clunker so they must have been original... only on the rear. Have since been replaced with quality Monroe shocks. Funny, I also see FX2 trucks. Why?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 05-16-2023, 02:15 PM   #64
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
By golly, I had Rancho shocks on my clunker so they must have been original... only on the rear. Have since been replaced with quality Monroe shocks. Funny, I also see FX2 trucks. Why?
Essentially, the FX2 package is "an upgrade to 4x2 trucks that is similar to the FX4 o 4x4 trucks.

Ford marketing changes about as frequently as most people change underwear, so what's said today wasn't the "only way to get it" yesterday, last year or on a specific model (Ranger, Maverick, F150, etc) and certainly is going to change again tomorrow, so this is what the FX2 package is today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FX2 DETAILS.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	43916  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #65
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Essentially, the FX2 package is "an upgrade to 4x2 trucks that is similar to the FX4 o 4x4 trucks.

Ford marketing changes about as frequently as most people change underwear, so what's said today wasn't the "only way to get it" yesterday, last year or on a specific model (Ranger, Maverick, F150, etc) and certainly is going to change again tomorrow, so this is what the FX2 package is today:
Seems to me going off road in a 2WD truck with off road tuned suspension and some gee-gaws doesn't make a lot of sense but I am just an amateur; what do I know.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Seems to me going off road in a 2WD truck with off road tuned suspension and some gee-gaws doesn't make a lot of sense but I am just an amateur; what do I know.
I had an FX2 Ranger in Louisiana. I got stuck in the back yard. It was "easy going when I drove back there, then it rained and no way in hell was I getting that truck out of the "gumbo under the grass".... That was my last 4x2 truck EVER !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #67
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShort880 View Post
Hello Friends.

This is following up to https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=53763 (TLDR = Truck not safe to pull RV).

Moving into the solution stage. We are parked in Arizona until July 1st. I owe 63k on my F250 (Paid 73k) and I'm starting to hunt for the right truck to tow my 2021 Fuzion 379. In the post above, all numbers for the trailer are present including the scale numbers. Thanks again for everyone pointing out the problem.
My issue is you are upside down on your truck.
Trading it in on something bigger only puts you further in debt. I suggest you look at a 5'rd you can pull with what you have.
You are kinda like the kids that went to Harvard to get a degree in something worthless and now expect me to pay their loans.

Get something you can afford!
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
Old 05-17-2023, 02:47 PM   #68
notanlines

“ You are kinda like the kids that went to Harvard to get a degree in something worthless and now expect me to pay their loans.”
Maybe a little less politics and a little advice that works?
DW and I given the same situation would scour the countryside in search of a buyer for our F250. The truck HAS to go. Then hit the market for an older truck that will do the job, brand of your choice. We all know refinancing upside down loans on different vehicles goes against any Dave Ramsey rules, not to mention good sense. Luck to you!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 05-17-2023, 02:57 PM   #69
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
“ You are kinda like the kids that went to Harvard to get a degree in something worthless and now expect me to pay their loans.”
DW and I given the same situation would scour the countryside in search of a buyer for our F250. The truck HAS to go. Then hit the market for an older truck that will do the job, brand of your choice. We all know refinancing upside down loans on different vehicles goes against any Dave Ramsey rules, not to mention good sense. Luck to you!
Don't pick on Rob... he plays pickleball for fun. Now I have to look up pickleball. I don't think that is a sport in Mico Texas but could be as I am not familiar with any neighbors and such. In fact, I don't really have any neighbors. I'll ask my wife when I go down to the house if she knows what a pickleball is... green with bumps? Oh well.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:47 PM   #70
linux3

Quote:
Don't pick on Rob... he plays pickleball for fun. Now I have to look up pickleball. I don't think that is a sport in Mico Texas but could be as I am not familiar with any neighbors and such. In fact, I don't really have any neighbors. I'll ask my wife when I go down to the house if she knows what a pickleball is... green with bumps? Oh well.
Pickleball is a huge and growing further sport.

Great for us older folks with bad knees and bad hips and such.

The Villages has over 200 pickleball courts.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:12 PM   #71
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post

There used to be a TV show called "The Prisoner" and if memory serves, he was put in a place called "the village"... perhaps the same place but don't recall any sporting pickles there.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:10 PM   #72
linux3

Quote:
There used to be a TV show called "The Prisoner" and if memory serves, he was put in a place called "the village"... perhaps the same place but don't recall any sporting pickles there.
Ah, you are thinking Number 6.
Loved that show, hated the ending.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:21 AM   #73
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post

It's a big time sport in the resort we live in!
I can tell by all the knee braces, ankle braces, crutches that it's a great sport for older people.
Tried it once only to figure out it's just this old fat guy chasing a wiffle ball around a tennis court......yea! great fun for old people.
But the crowd grows every year so pain must be addicting.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-19-2023, 02:58 PM   #74
JShort880

THREAD CONCLUSION:

Ended up picking up this 2021 F-450

As always, thanks to the forum/community for all of the useful insights.

-> Mods feel free to lock this one down whenever you see fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Certainly, every situation is influenced by numerous variables. I understand that Rob's username is "Linux3", so it's not surprising that a Linux user might jump to conclusions without considering all the variables . But fear not, Rob. From 2010 to 2020, I had the privilege of spending five years throughout Afghanistan and Iraq, which ultimately paid for my computer science degree, so affordability is not an issue for us.

Fortunately, I connected with the owner of Lifted Trucks here in Arizona, and we were able to work out a great deal. I didn't have to go upside-down on my F250. At the end of the day, I may be losing some money, but it's not something that will keep me up at night. I view both of these as a lease anyhow.

-> Again, Mods feel free to lock this one down whenever you see fit.

Thanks
2021 Ford F450
Old 05-19-2023, 03:19 PM   #75
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShort880 View Post
THREAD CONCLUSION:

Ended up picking up this 2021 F-450

As always, thanks to the forum/community for all of the useful insights.

-> Mods feel free to lock this one down whenever you see fit

Certainly, every situation is influenced by numerous variables. I understand that Rob's username is "Linux3", so it's not surprising that a Linux user might jump to conclusions without considering all the variables . But fear not, Rob. From 2010 to 2020, I had the privilege of spending five years throughout Afghanistan and Iraq, which ultimately paid for my computer science degree, so affordability is not an issue for us.

Fortunately, I connected with the owner of Lifted Trucks here in Arizona, and we were able to work out a great deal. I didn't have to go upside-down on my F250. At the end of the day, I may be losing some money, but it's not something that will keep me up at night. I view both of these as a lease anyhow.

-> Again, Mods feel free to lock this one down whenever you see fit.

Thanks
I say keep this thread open. I enjoy hearing about the driving exploits of those who can actually back up a dually without crunching the plastic rear wheel coverings or knocking off mirrors. I can't even back up my trike into a parking spot first time and backing my 28' 5th wheel is an exercise not to be viewed by the faint of heart... seriously, glad you got the truck situation sorted. BTW: I retired from the Fed in 1998 and could afford to buy most any truck I want but am severely cheap and will never buy a vehicle that costs me more than my first house.... kind of a family rule.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #76
JShort880

Quote:
I say keep this thread open. I enjoy hearing about the driving exploits of those who can actually back up a dually without crunching the plastic rear wheel coverings or knocking off mirrors. I can't even back up my trike into a parking spot first time and backing my 28' 5th wheel is an exercise not to be viewed by the faint of heart... seriously, glad you got the truck situation sorted. BTW: I retired from the Fed in 1998 and could afford to buy most any truck I want but am severely cheap and will never buy a vehicle that costs me more than my first house.... kind of a family rule.

Thanks!

And I was hoping to have the thread closed before I do exactly what you just said! I mean, it took me one week (while practicing connecting to my hitch) to damage the top of my F250's tailgate.

Also, I fully agree with your rule. Before getting the truck, I owned a 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan that I purchased for $8k in cash (loved that little German SUV). We are moving from AZ back to GA in about 30 days, so there's a time constraint.

We have also decided that it doesn't make sense to keep the RV and truck while starting a family. After full-timing, we realized that we can be just as happy taking family trips in something smaller (get something when the future kids hit 5 or 6 years old).

So, we plan to sell both the truck and RV in early to mid-2025. We are planning to settle somewhere in the southeast, between our families but far enough away for some distance .

The truck won't accumulate much mileage after getting to Georgia (Compared to the F250 Journey), so it should be an easy sale in 2025. That's why I mentioned that I view these purchases as a lease that enabled my wife to travel nurse and allowed us to hit the road before having kids.

Haven't researched how easy it'll be to sale the RV. But I'll just be aiming to get the payoff for it so I'm sure someone will come around.

Will be looking to get a trailer pull most likely. Checks all the boxes for just family trips. But that can be figured out in 6 years
2021 Ford F450
Old 05-19-2023, 03:53 PM   #77
jasin1

congratulations! Now don’t forget about the 3 year 36k ford bumper to bumper warranty…should still be active.I’d get EVERYTHING that squeaks or leaks or acts funny looked at before it expires…it’s based on the vin so any ford dealer will honor it…the only thing the dealer you bought it from would be on the hook for is the lift kit..everything else bypass them and go straight to Ford
Old 05-19-2023, 04:24 PM   #78
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
congratulations! Now don’t forget about the 3 year 36k ford bumper to bumper warranty…should still be active.I’d get EVERYTHING that squeaks or leaks or acts funny looked at before it expires…it’s based on the vin so any ford dealer will honor it…the only thing the dealer you bought it from would be on the hook for is the lift kit..everything else bypass them and go straight to Ford
Thanks!

No lift on this truck. Just bought it from Lifted Trucks . Have to take that sticker off the back as it's a little confusing .

Yeah I'm already looking for everything possible to take it in for once we get to Georgia. Really haven't found much yet.
2021 Ford F450
Old 05-19-2023, 04:26 PM   #79
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats OP! Sounds and looks like you've picked a great truck and found a good way to make it work. Hopefully everything works out like you want and plan. Your questions have been answered, your dilemma solved and pursuant to your request to close the thread...it is closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade