Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
jan7278

Quartzsite winter desert campers!

Not sure if this is how to ask questions in here or not, but here goes.

How do you receive UPS packages? What do you guys use for onboard wifi? We have the Winegard but don't know best carrier. Thanks
jan7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Ron

As far as getting packages in Q, look up Quiet Times, great place to receive packages and at reasonable rates.....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:21 PM   #3
haulinit

I’m in Quartzsite right now. I have a Winegard on my 2018 toy hauler. The plans when I looked into them were expensive!

People who have Verizon cell service have really been having issues getting online. I have AT&T for my phone and a dual sim Pepwave router and Poynter antenna. Right now I only have a T mobile SIM card in it.

My connection on either of these slow way down in the afternoon/evening when everyone is home and getting online.it’s getting to the point where I don’t get a connection until in the very early hours of the morning to mid-morning of the day.
haulinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:09 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=haulinit;479680]I’m in Quartzsite right now. I have a Winegard on my 2018 toy hauler. The plans when I looked into them were expensive!

People who have Verizon cell service have really been having issues getting online. I have AT&T for my phone and a dual sim Pepwave router and Poynter antenna. Right now I only have a T mobile SIM card in it.

My connection on either of these slow way down in the afternoon/evening when everyone is home and getting online.it’s getting to the point where I don’t get a connection until in the very early hours of the morning to mid-morning of the day.[/QUOTE

I can't speak to your experience @Quartzsite as I'm not there. I know recently another group of attacks have created a bunch of issues. I have personally experienced 2 different brand issues with home automation/security devices that lasted less than 24 hrs. Emails from both companies blamed AWs (Amazon Web Services) for the issues.

Last week I bought a new tablet and had Issues with getting the Sim card initialized on-line. When I finally spoke with a human they straightened out the issue rapidly and admitted they were having "network challenges". The Maryland Dept. of Health was hit by hackers 2 weeks ago and they still don't have the Covid statistics restored. So all I'm saying is these issues I can only be exasperated by a remote are being overwhelmed with high usage and high demands on the bandwith. Have attempted reaching out to the carrier to see if it's a location issue?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
mikec557

Jan

We were in Quartzsite, 2019 or 2020, I can't remember which. We used out cellphone as a Hotspot, connecting both our laptops and the Roku for the TV. We use straight talk on Verizon lines. BUT not only does the connection suffer in the evening as people begin to use up the bandwidth, it also gets bad all day long as more people arrive closer to the opening of the Big Tent (rv show). I don't think the cellphone infrastructure is adequate for Quartzsite in January. Best to have a Plan B for evening entertainment.

Just an FYI.
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
haulinit

There is also Ironwood Outpost. I’ve heard horror stories about receiving your mail via General Delivery through the Post Office.
haulinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
mikec557

Just an FYI for those that might not know:

Objects actually sent by the US MAIL
The post office says an agent must have your signature on a USPS form in order for the postman to give your mail to someone other than you. I've stayed at a lot of RV parks. Some would accept your USPS mail without the form. Others required the form, some won't accept it all.

Objects sent by everyone else except the USPS.
Such as UPS, FEDEX, AMAZON'S OWN, ETC.
Every RV park we've stayed at, even the ones that say no to accepting your USPS with or without the form, have said: yes you can have packages sent c/o the RV park. They ask you be sure to have your name and space number i in the shipping address.

Call and ask the RV park you're going to stay if they'll accept both US Mail and "Amazon packages".
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:04 PM   #8
RetiredFinally

I didn’t spend my winter in quartzite, but rather Yuma, I used Starlink and had no problems with internet/streaming/voip calling. The best investment in internet I ever made and works anywhere you have a clear site skyward
RetiredFinally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter