Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2023, 12:12 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Plus 1 on this. After reading this thread I went out to double check on the wiring done when the dealer added the two batteries. They were wired in slave master parallel like the OP. Easy fix, but I also noted that the interconnecting cables were a much lower gauge (prob 4 AWG) for the 2 foot between batteries. I am assuming that even with the 2000 watt inverter minimal use I am prob ok with that length and gauge between batteries but interested if I am off base.
Now that current will flow Thru both batteries should i be adding higher gauge between the two? ( both sill Interstate lead acid)
The interconnecting wire should be the same gauge or lower (so same size or heavier) than the other 2 connecting cables. While it may be OK for the "normal" load, it still has the potential to become a fusible link (heating to the point of melting the insulation).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:08 PM   #22
RacerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The interconnecting wire should be the same gauge or lower (so same size or heavier) than the other 2 connecting cables. While it may be OK for the "normal" load, it still has the potential to become a fusible link (heating to the point of melting the insulation).
Thank you for your reply. Suspected it would be smart to upgrade the interconnection. Does anyone know what size the main Keystone wires are from the factory? With insulation they look close to 1/2 inch diameter but that tells me nothing.
Thanks!

Tags
battery, solar