Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2023, 06:02 AM   #61
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconforti View Post
T-Mobile just recently announced that they've abandoned that policy making it a good RV option. The only reason I don't have one is the fact that you cannot use a 3rd party router with their device (so I've read).
That's great to hear. I'm interested in switching to T-Mobile for home and RV use but at present am outside one of their service areas....by about 300 yards. Two friends just down the block have it, but my address is SOL. My understanding is that they mark out areas and then limit the number of subscribers within each area to control overburdening the network. I'm on the 'notify me when available' list and hoping something opens up so I can give it a try.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:36 AM   #62
markcee

As luck would have it, I checked my address again today for T-Mobile and it was accepted for 5G Home Internet.

However, when I called to subscribe and asked the CS rep about the lifting of the 'home use only' restriction, she advised that it was still in place and that while the router/gateway will connect, provided the non-home location has T-Mobile service, if the device performs an update or re-registers, and detects a new location, service may not connect.

As we will be gone about 4 months this summer, primarily in one location, I asked about re-registering the account to there during that period. She advised that that was possible, with the drawback being that when I return home, there may not be a 'spot' for me available.

I'm going to try it anyway and see how it works out. If it's good here at home I'll stick with it and try it when out on the road. Worst case is it will be something else to try should I have issues with my Visible hotspot.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:13 PM   #63
Maineiacs

Now in the process of switching from AT&T cell service to T-Mobile Home Internet. While the fine print says the receiver is for my home address only, I'm wondering how it will work if I bring it in the TT on our next trip. Assuming of course that the area we go to has T-Mobile service.

Anyone tried this yet? I see that markcee is considering it.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:41 PM   #64
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Now in the process of switching from AT&T cell service to T-Mobile Home Internet. While the fine print says the receiver is for my home address only, I'm wondering how it will work if I bring it in the TT on our next trip. Assuming of course that the area we go to has T-Mobile service.

Anyone tried this yet? I see that markcee is considering it.
I did make the switch to T-Mobile and am currently using it at home. I won't be taking the trailer out until next month and plan on taking the gateway with me to test it out. I'll be roughly 300 miles from home, so it will be a decent test.

I did have some up/down issues here at home after it ran flawlessly for the first couple of weeks. I ended up contacting customer support via chat and the first question they asked was if I was using it away from my home location. So, despite what some say...I think there was even a YouTube video (later amended) stating it can 'go anywhere' - T-Mobile really doesn't allow it. I think the latest iteration of their EULA tightens up the language on this. I don't think they go out of their way to find and shut down users that aren't at 'home', but if it's detected (updates?, random reporting by the gateway?) I guess it could lock you out. For $50 a month, I figure it's worth a shot. I pay $45 for my DSL service and get about 30Mbps tops. With the T-Mobile, I'm generally 190Mbps at a minimum.

Since I'm going back to Ohio in May for about 4 months, I asked CS about switching my 'home' location there. She advised that I could definitely do that, provided there was service at the Ohio location. However, she stated that I be giving up my current 'home' and that there would be no guarantee there would be a 'spot' for me in my original service area when I got back home here in Arizona. I believe this to be the case because I know they do restrict the number of subscribers in a given area.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:40 AM   #65
JackD

I've got Starlink and use it at home for backup to my internet service provider here - who has been notoriously flaky. Since I work from home full-time I can't afford to be down.

Starlink here (Pacific Northwest) has been reliable and fairly fast - with low latency. $500+ bucks in gear + $135 / month for "RV /mobile" is not cheap, but it does work well

My $.02...
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #66
hlh1

Anyone use Nomad Internet? It looks interesting.

https://nomadinternet.com/
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #67
jxnbbl

Well I bit the bullet this week on getting the ingredients of my 'connectivity' project.

I've purchased a:

1. WeBoost, Drive Reach RV 47354
2. WifiRanger (Winegard) Osprey cat-12 model

I will do a 'soft install' of the antenna and test it out in our house to determine if it would be useful to enhance our "ok not great" Verizon based service. If it works I'll just get an extra inside and outside antenna and use the unit when not traveling.

The Osprey will replace our existing winegard gateway. Where we have been pleased with the gateway we were stuck with a limited cell service and wanted to be able to hotspot. (for now). When data plans come around we will be ready and I paid extra for the Cat-12 instead of cat-6 when that comes. The Osprey has a direct usb hotspot, integrates seamlessly with the Air 360 of the trailer and provides the wifi/wireless integration that I've enjoyed with the Winegard gateway. We will hotspot with Visible phone serviced tethered to the Osprey

For programming, we have changed to Directv streaming as they have a set top box/remote paradigm for those in my family that have a 'hard time' with streaming interfaces. But it will allow us to retain our local programming when traveling. I can't miss the Stanley Cup games! I've tested this out with our existing internet services at 2 locations and the hot spotted phone. I have not tested with our Fire TV in the trailer, but have a V1 Fire TV cube.

Will see how it goes in the next couple of months.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:00 AM   #68
NH_Bulldog

During the snow storm this week (we picked up 42” of the white stuff), we didn’t lose power but our internet went out for a couple of days. Our best cell signal is only 1 sketchy bar of service. We work from home so internet is an absolute must for us. I went out to the camper and grabbed my WeBoost Drive 4G-X, placed the outdoor antenna on the window sill, the indoor antenna on my desk, and my MiFi hotspot on the antenna on my desk. Signal went from 1 to 4 bars and we were able to work as normal until the fiber internet came back up. This setup in the camper has allowed us to spend an extended time on the road in the summer and now doubles as a home internet backup too!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:34 AM   #69
jxnbbl

Exactly...A relatively expensive piece of equipment to be in the trailer 100% of the time when we still suffer with a number of dropped calls in our house!
Old 03-21-2023, 06:57 AM   #70
revrusty

Tried Nomad at home hoping to improve over our satelite internet. It did not work very well with our lousy phone signal so after Nomad made several attempts to improve things I sent it back during my "free" trial period. Multiple emails and phone calls and I am still waiting for my refund. They even charged me for a second month after I sent the device back to them. Did get that part refunded but they are long past the 7 to 10 days processing to refund my original investment. Just be prepared if you try this product that if it doesn't work, you may be a while getting your money back.
I will say they are very nice on the phone and sound like they are trying to get things done. Just haven't gotten things done. We are giving them another week then disputing the charge.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #71
hlh1

Thank you Rusty for the feedback on Nomad Internet. It looked like it might be a good solution but after your experience I'm not so sure. So far I've been using my cellphone as a hot-spot for my PC and that has worked well, as long as I have good cell coverage.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:07 AM   #72
tallen

I have the T-Mobile Home Internet, and I too was thinking about traveling with it, so I did. I have been to serval camp ground in my state, and also down near Orange beach, and also the travel from there back to Huntsville, AL. The gateway worked great. Some of the areas were a little slower than others, but nothing bad enough I could not work, or stream tv or music from. Before I did all this I thought about the same stuff everyone is talking about, can we do it, will it stop working, etc. What change my mind was two things. When I went to go get it (45 mins drive away from my house), They (T-Mobile) did not ask where i lived at all, just handed me the box and said "we can set it up right now in the store if you like." Which made me think, address locked, don't think so. The 2nd thing that happen , was a friend that lives in an area that is not eligible at all, walked in to a T-Mobile store and said he wanted home internet. Well they handed him and box (gateway) and he paid and walked out and went home and set it all up himself. One more thing, I did call back up there and ask them if the gateway would only work on 5G, I was told that it will also do 4G LTE if there is no 5G around.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:20 PM   #73
cougar23

Switched from Verizon to T-Mobil about 9 months ago after I was told I was in a good service area. I really wanted T-Mobil to work so I could get the Gateway internet. Bad news is I only had "fair" service whet connected to WiFi, and then only when in range of my home. Did not have service in my shop only 100 feet from my house. Had to get a WiFi booster to have service in the shop. Do to limited service at home getting Gateway internet was out of the question.
The constant dropping of calls forced me to return to Version. Had ATT in past with many billing issues trying to steel extra money, same as Direct TV which is owned by ATT. Verizon is bad also but not as bad.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:33 AM   #74
jxnbbl

On the road Update

On the road and reporting back: New setup... Wifiranger/Winegard Osprey + Apple X with visible.

I got this device to pull in wifi from various sources and use a tethered device (cellphone in my case) to the router mounted on my ceiling. I made an adapter to allow the cellphone to slip into a "shelf" that supports the router.

At our first location - pulls in the winery public wifi that we are staying at just fine...but the service isn't great for streaming (and we are watching hockey). Changed to the cellphone service (have not setup the weboost as we are just overnight.). Watched the entire hockey game and the news just fine.

Very happy!
Old 04-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #75
levic900rr

Can anyone comment on the usability of Starlink when it comes to obstructions? Im planning a big cross country trip this summer and I'll need to work a bit from the road. I have verizon cell phones and the hot spots work great but Im considering either an ATT or T mobile plan for backup OR a Starlink, but I cant decide which would give me the best flexibility. I hear Starlink its pretty useless when you dont have a wide open sky.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:52 PM   #76
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by levic900rr View Post
Can anyone comment on the usability of Starlink when it comes to obstructions? Im planning a big cross country trip this summer and I'll need to work a bit from the road. I have verizon cell phones and the hot spots work great but Im considering either an ATT or T mobile plan for backup OR a Starlink, but I cant decide which would give me the best flexibility. I hear Starlink its pretty useless when you dont have a wide open sky.
I’ve never had an issue with obstructions, although I use mainly in the southwest and in more so open areas. I do have a flagpole mount to put the satellite above the trailer. It works in places were there is zero cell service. I have ATT and Verizon that I use for hotspots as well but Starlink never failed.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:52 PM   #77
bobbecky

We've only had one location in N Calif that our AT&T hotspot and cell phone didn't work in the last ten years.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 02:45 AM   #78
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Rich View Post
I’ve never had an issue with obstructions, although I use mainly in the southwest and in more so open areas. I do have a flagpole mount to put the satellite above the trailer. It works in places were there is zero cell service. I have ATT and Verizon that I use for hotspots as well but Starlink never failed.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the FCC coverage map and Im starting to realize that the bulk of our trip is going to have cell coverage so I'm going to grab a second data plan with another carrier and just plan to find coverage when I need to work.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote