Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2023, 04:51 PM   #1
RedWolf

New Chevy Colorado Z71

Hi all, I need some advice on buying a new truck. With prices as they are there's no way I can afford a 1/2 ton truck so lately I've been looking at 1/4 ton trucks. I don't really have enough experience towing and camping to make this decision myself so I'm looking for the more experienced campers here to tell me if it's okay. Any advice is certainly appreciated.

At a glance the math seems to work out:

My rig is a 2022 Keystone Passport SL 189RB. It's dry weight is 4900 lbs. It's loaded weight is 6500 lbs. It's hitch weight is 610 lbs. 23' long.

The Colorado Z71 can tow 7700 lbs and has a payload of 1600 lbs. WD hitch.

Assume no extra baggage. It's just me. No kids, no family, no pets, no junk. I've even removed some weight such as the exterior mini fridge. I was never going to use that thing and I probably saved 50 lbs just right there. It's just me and not much else extra.

Right now, I'm towing (only very short distance) with a 2006 Nissan Xterra SE....which should not be towing this but can do it like a champ. That leads me to believe a truck like Colorado or Ranger would be fine. Right now, the Xterra is used to tow it to a dump station a few miles away and that's really it. I've been camping in my parent's drive way lately lol.

Can I get away with a 1/4 truck considering my specific situation?
Old 04-10-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Kyle it's a good thing to check these things up front and we have lots of members with tons of towing experience so kudos to you. Exactly how are you using this trailer and for what? You can't use a trailer with nothing in it as you seem to imply - btdt.

I am not a fan of 1/2 size trucks for towing anything of any size. Used to have a Ford Ranger and towed a pop up many years ago....that's all it could handle..but that was many years ago. The new 1/2 size trucks like the Colorado and Ranger are more robust than they used to be with more capabilities. That said;

The issue with the smaller trucks used to be payload but you said yours is 1600lbs., is that from the sticker in the door? If not and you are using a website it will more than likely be significantly less. Another issue is the lighter weight, shorter wheelbase - smaller footprint to control the trailer. In this case it's 23' and 6500gvwr. So first the numbers; 6500 gvwr x 13% for tongue weight = 845lbs. Hitch + 100 = 945. You and some gear - +300 (conservative) = 1245. Now we get to where the actual payload of THE truck comes into play. A 1/2 size truck could easily be strapped with a 1245 payload or less.

I go to a lot of places and have seen lots of single guys in RVs. Some are minimal, some have enough stuff/junk they don't have room to get into the RV, others are in between. Your use of the trailer would shed some light on what you can expect to happen; the longer you are in it the more stuff you will have..it just happens.

Post back with the actual payload of THE truck. If you don't have it yet then let's work through hypotheticals to see where you land. I don't think it's out of the question with the right truck, don't think it's the best scenario for towing, but it might be the best thing for you - if it's safe. Let us know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #3
RedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Kyle it's a good thing to check these things up front and we have lots of members with tons of towing experience so kudos to you. Exactly how are you using this trailer and for what? You can't use a trailer with nothing in it as you seem to imply - btdt.

I am not a fan of 1/2 size trucks for towing anything of any size. Used to have a Ford Ranger and towed a pop up many years ago....that's all it could handle..but that was many years ago. The new 1/2 size trucks like the Colorado and Ranger are more robust than they used to be with more capabilities. That said;

The issue with the smaller trucks used to be payload but you said yours is 1600lbs., is that from the sticker in the door? If not and you are using a website it will more than likely be significantly less. Another issue is the lighter weight, shorter wheelbase - smaller footprint to control the trailer. In this case it's 23' and 6500gvwr. So first the numbers; 6500 gvwr x 13% for tongue weight = 845lbs. Hitch + 100 = 945. You and some gear - +300 (conservative) = 1245. Now we get to where the actual payload of THE truck comes into play. A 1/2 size truck could easily be strapped with a 1245 payload or less.

I go to a lot of places and have seen lots of single guys in RVs. Some are minimal, some have enough stuff/junk they don't have room to get into the RV, others are in between. Your use of the trailer would shed some light on what you can expect to happen; the longer you are in it the more stuff you will have..it just happens.

Post back with the actual payload of THE truck. If you don't have it yet then let's work through hypotheticals to see where you land. I don't think it's out of the question with the right truck, don't think it's the best scenario for towing, but it might be the best thing for you - if it's safe. Let us know.
Thanks. I'm still in the research phase of all this so I don't have a truck yet but the one I'm looking at is the 2024 Colorado Z71. I'm getting all of my data directly from Chevy.

When I say I don't have much stuff in here I mean other than some groceries, some clothes, my laptops, etc; there's not much. You're right - that could grow and it probably will - but right now I would consider what I have to be very minimalist. Of course I have the usual compliments: septic hose, power cable, a small set of tools, etc.

I intend to travel quite a bit with the truck. I live in Virginia, North Virginia to be exact (so it's still fairly flat around here), but right to the west of me give or take 2 hours is Shenandoah National Park. I'd sure love to be able to go out there and beyond the Appalachian Mountain Range. Most of my trips should be fairly short but I would like the opportunity to go for longer. I will not be living in the trailer. It's purely for travel. I have to report into the office in DC once a week so I'm leashed just a bit in traveling so a lot of it will be short trips along the East Coast.

The real concern I have is the money factor. I just can't afford these 1/2 ton trucks with the interest rates and the prices they're at; and I don't know if they're going to go down. I was previously looking at Tundra SR5 and Ram 1500 but even those we're getting to $50-55k plus all said and done. The 1/4 tons get me into the mid forties which works a lot better.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:31 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

The joy in having an RV, to me, is the ability to travel and use it to see new places. You have a lot of fun places around just need to make sure you have a stable tow platform. One thing I can say for sure, the Xterra is not one of them. It may feel OK at the moment but when it hits the fan you are going to be in a real bind.

I would suggest taking a bit of time to go look at a potential Colorado or Ranger on a lot and look at that payload sticker...I suspect it will not be 1600lbs. Nice if it was but I doubt it. Another thing would be to take the trailer as it is loaded for a good, fun week long trip and scale it somewhere nearby so you get a feel for what you have. Using the gvwr is the safe way to approximate loads, a scale is definitive.

I understand the money factor on the tow truck. You may be able to get by getting an undersized truck if you always remember that you bought it predicated on the fact you would always carry light. That usually doesn't happen and the carry light gets forgotten.

Look into some of those trucks to get a baseline. Others will chime in with their thoughts. I will be off and on for 2-3 days as puppy has to have multiple surgeries. Good luck on finding the right resolution and I will check back.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:34 PM   #5
jasin1

maybe look at 2-3 year old used 1/2 ton trucks instead of buying new…may be able to get into that 40k price range…still get a partial factory warranty
Old 04-10-2023, 08:43 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

My BIL just bought a 2021 Silverado crewcab 4x4 with 28,000 miles on it for $32,000 plus tax and license. It was a lease return and the dealership "certified it" so he has the full warranty (6 yr/100K powertrain and 12 mo/12K bumper to bumper) AND Chevy does all the oil/filter changes for the next 24 months.

You might be able to find a half ton "lease return" that's much better suited as a tow vehicle and is even less "OTD dollars" than a 1/4 ton truck.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:13 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I've had a Chevy Colorado for over 4 years now and I've seen several other Colorado's in campgrounds where their owners were towing travel trailers. Every time I see a Colorado - Travel Trailer combination, I stop and ask the owner how the Colorado tows. And every one says, "Oh just fine." But there is always a hesitation and pause in their voice that tells me a completely different story. They are just too proud to admit they made a bad mistake, but are running the risk towing anyway.

I have a 6 foot wide by 10 foot long bed utility trailer and I attempted to tow it with my Colorado. I carry my John Deere riding lawn mower (a big one), and a smaller John Deere and log splitter. I use the smaller Deere to tow the log splitter around the fields and such to split fire wood after trees come down. Then the utility trailer is also used to haul the fire wood back to the house. And all of that is just a horrible towing experience for the Colorado. I quit using the Colorado for that, and just use my 1 ton dually again.

The Colorado is a great grocery getter. It's extremely fun to drive, turns on a dime, and because its a crew cab, can haul a driver and 4 more people easy. But for towing.... I don't care what the advertisements state, it is NOT designed to tow a travel trailer or anything heavier than a couple thousand pounds. It will tow a Pop-up or an A-frame or a small Tear Drop (like the T@B) just fine.

You also have to remember, there is more to towing than just the weight. The front of the trailer makes a gigantic sail which creates a massive wind blocker. The faster you attempt to drive, the greater the wind resistance, and that engine in that Colorado will be working over time. Not to mention any hills and brakes coming down hill.

To say, I'm driving only a few miles is absolutely-ABSOLUTELY faulty thinking! Absolutely! If its not safe and comfortable for a 10,000 mile trip, it's not safe for a 1 mile trip either.

I'm talking form real world, first hand ownership and experience with a Z71 Chevy Colorado. And this is the wrong truck to tow a conventional travel trailer with.

Even though it has 4x4 and 4 low, it still slides on roads like this. But the 4x4 is nice. When the bed is empty, and in 2x2, the rear wheels spin a lot on quick start ups. The rear end is just so light.

But it is a great run-around truck. So when we are camped for a few days at a campground or a campsite closer to home, I'll run home and swap the dually and bring the Colorado back and use it for a run around car. When we do this, we get lots of looks from other campers .... who also ask me.... "Does that little truck actually tow that Fifth Wheel?" I love to joke with them and tell them.... SURE! Absolutely no problems at all, it tows great. They look at me with utter disbelief and then I break out laughing and tell them about my Dually and I've swapped out vehicles while we are there. They laugh at themselves too then.

Bottom line: If you tow a conventional travel trailer, you need a bigger truck.

Think about this .... really think about this statement. It will make sense eventually:

“You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your tow vehicle, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."

“Once on the road, your tow vehicle and trailer are not a game or a toy any more. it's reality. And reality does not give you a second chance if you screw it up.”
Old 04-11-2023, 05:47 AM   #8
markcee

Shorter wheelbase notwithstanding, the modern Ford Ranger, equipped with the tow package (53R) will routinely hit 1600+ lb payload capacity in a mid-level (XLT) trim.

It has a max 750 lb tongue weight hitch receiver and 3.73 gearing.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:53 AM   #9
notanlines

And again, you have it straight from the horse’s mouth (Dutch). It simply isn’t a good idea, period.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:40 AM   #10
RedWolf

Thanks all. I've decided on a different path. I'm going to save up a larger down payment, push my purchase out to Labor Day 2024, and with that I think I can manage to get a F150. Who knows? Maybe even the interest rates and the new truck market will improve in all that time. I likely won't go anywhere this year. The Xterra isn't up to it.

I'm getting the vibe that Colorado could work for me....but it would be stretching things. Perhaps a bit more than I think things should be stretched.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:50 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
Thanks all. I've decided on a different path. I'm going to save up a larger down payment, push my purchase out to Labor Day 2024, and with that I think I can manage to get a F150. Who knows? Maybe even the interest rates and the new truck market will improve in all that time. I likely won't go anywhere this year. The Xterra isn't up to it.

I'm getting the vibe that Colorado could work for me....but it would be stretching things. Perhaps a bit more than I think things should be stretched.

I think you're making the best decision....and I know it's hard. You might "make" the Colorado work but it would not be optimal and could very well be dangerous. It would also limit what you could take and do on your trips when you venture further. Yes, it would be stretching things more than they should be. Now towing our trailer with the Xterra? That's like slapping fate in the face every mile you tow the trailer - something will happen and it won't be good. Good luck on finding and getting what you need. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:17 AM   #12
notanlines

Red, you made a good decision. That money in the bank in 2024 is power; power to make better decisions that will better your life!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:23 AM   #13
Crystal17

We tried a Colorado and it was weak....

Quote:

We had a 2018 Colorado Denali and it struggled to tow our 2016 Ultralight Keystone Premier Bullet 22PRRB. Good idea to get a bigger truck. I found a used 2016 GMC 2500HD in a trade plus $. We love it!
Crystal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:25 AM   #14
Pull Toy

Good decision, to wait and buy the truck you need for the safety margin. Always buy more truck than you think you need. In the long run, it works better than wishing you did. You take a beating trading in 6 month old truck on the one you need.

We all add stuff when we go, and it all adds weight. Even if you. buy used, you’ll be able to add a puppy, travel partner, extra battery for off grid, etc…

Good luck ,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:52 AM   #15
RedWolf

Hi all, I didn't want to revive an old thread but I wanted to thank you again for all your advice. It really helped me out moving forward. I'm now the new owner of a 2023 F150 STX. A little bit of saving a bit of negotiating and I got a pretty good deal over Labor Day weekend.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Hi all, I didn't want to revive an old thread but I wanted to thank you again for all your advice. It really helped me out moving forward. I'm now the new owner of a 2023 F150 STX. A little bit of saving a bit of negotiating and I got a pretty good deal over Labor Day weekend.

What type tires does that F150 have and did you get the towing package? Which engine and rear axle ratio?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 02:24 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Hey, hey! Congrats! Great improvement over that Colorado you were contemplating....and Labor Day a year earlier than you thought! Reviving the thread for this update is nothing to worry about - the update is good to know. Now enjoy the truck and happy camping.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:36 AM   #18
dutchmensport

Good choice. You'll be much happier with this than the Colorado for towing. Congrats! Now, the camper is next! Right?
Old 09-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #19
RedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Good choice. You'll be much happier with this than the Colorado for towing. Congrats! Now, the camper is next! Right?
I've owned the camper for a few years now but I'll be happy to take it out on a trip. I've never really gotten to use it outside of the immediate area. Here's a picture of it being towed with my Xterra. I hardly ever took it further than this gas station.

Old 09-07-2023, 12:16 PM   #20
RedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
what type tires does that f150 have and did you get the towing package? Which engine and rear axle ratio?
Per Ford's towing sheets I should be able to tow 9400 lbs. More than enough for my purposes.

5.0L V8 ENGINE
275/60R20 BSW ALL-TERRAIN
3.31 ELECTRONIC LOCK RR AXLE
7050# GVWR PACKAGE
STX APPEARANCE PACKAGE
TRAILER TOW PACKAGE
INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONT
20" 6-SPOKE MAGNETIC PKT WHLS