Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2023, 05:34 PM   #1
nwoodco1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Galveston
Posts: 9
How to repair front trim/stripped holes on trailer?

I am looking to get some advice on how to repair my camper or if it isn't something feasibly DIY>
Had my camper parked and unfortunately it got clipped by my neighbor. He told me right away and offered to repair or pay for repairs which is great, so I would like to do it DIY if it can be done. As you can see in the pictures the front trim is pulled out and the first 5 screw holes are stripped so now the front and side panels are also loose. What is the best way to fix? Just caulk won't work as this trim holds the front and side in place, but the screws don't have anything to bite into it seems like.
nwoodco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 17,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwoodco1 View Post
I am looking to get some advice on how to repair my camper or if it isn't something feasibly DIY>
Had my camper parked and unfortunately it got clipped by my neighbor. He told me right away and offered to repair or pay for repairs which is great, so I would like to do it DIY if it can be done. As you can see in the pictures the front trim is pulled out and the first 5 screw holes are stripped so now the front and side panels are also loose. What is the best way to fix? Just caulk won't work as this trim holds the front and side in place, but the screws don't have anything to bite into it seems like.


Is there some reason you don't want to take it in and have the damage fixed professionally on his insurance? Why try to do it half way on your own.
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:43 PM   #3
nwoodco1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Galveston
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Is there some reason you don't want to take it in and have the damage fixed professionally on his insurance? Why try to do it half way on your own.
Well that is why I am asking for input. If it is something simple (it doesn't appear that way) I want to do it cheaply. But it is also a camper in great shape and I don't want to have any long term damage to the camper. You can't get new neighbors so I try to be as easygoing as possible.
nwoodco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:53 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 19,514
If you can straighten out the corner molding, you can use self tapping screws and just make new holes. If there is too much damage, you can probably get a new ďpre bentĒ molding and again just make new holes.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:59 AM   #5
dutchmensport
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,402
I had a similar "clip" on my Montana and on the other back end, I clipped it myself. And on my previous Outback travel trailer, I clipped the corner too. I fixed all 3 "clips" myself and saved the aggravation and the high deductible with insurance and waiting for months to get service at my local RV dealership shop.

For less than $5.00 I used a tube of original Liquid Nails and glued the trim back on. Yes, I pumped that sucker full of Liquid Nails until it squirted out everywhere.

I then used a small wood screw at the bottom of that trim. Actually, I had some extra RV Robertson Headed screws I picked up and used it. I pre-drilled a small pilot hole in that trim (mine was plastic) as I didn't want it to crack out. I then screwed the screw in and it finally hit something solid. Right on the corner, it will hit something.

All you need to do is tighten that screw down enough to hold the trim in place. Once the Liquid Nails dries solid, that trim will NEVER come off and water, sun, cold, and heat will never hurt the Liquid Nails. That's how I fixed mine, on 3 separate occasions.

Now, if the same corner ever gets clipped again ... well ... then it WILL go in for an insurance claim. I doubt the trim will ever rip off again. If it rips off, it will take the entire rear of the trailer with it!

I've used Liquid Nails (the original... don't use the specialty flavors, like "for projects" or for plastics or for Styrofoam. Those won't hold up to the weather elements. Original Liquid Nails does! That stuff is marvelous. Also, don't use something else, Gorilla, Lock-Tite or one of those. I don't know how those hold up against the weather elements. I do know, beyond any doubt and with 40 years of experience using Liquid Nails, Liquid Nails will hold up in any weather, forever!
__________________
2019 Montana High Country 375FL
2014 Chevy Duramax HD 6.6 - 3500 Diesel Dully Long bed Crew Cab
dutchmensport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:12 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 17,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwoodco1 View Post
Well that is why I am asking for input. If it is something simple (it doesn't appear that way) I want to do it cheaply. But it is also a camper in great shape and I don't want to have any long term damage to the camper. You can't get new neighbors so I try to be as easygoing as possible.

You didn't say his insurance was off the table. If it's in great shape take the time and effort to do it right (along with spending the money). Chuck mentioned a solution. You said the screws (or some of them) didn't seem to have anything to bite into. If you go around the trailer you will find that probably 1/2 of them screw into thin air. Replacing the molding with a new one would allow you to pre drill new holes in new positions that hopefully would give you a bite for the screws.
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:15 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 17,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I had a similar "clip" on my Montana and on the other back end, I clipped it myself. And on my previous Outback travel trailer, I clipped the corner too. I fixed all 3 "clips" myself and saved the aggravation and the high deductible with insurance and waiting for months to get service at my local RV dealership shop.

For less than $5.00 I used a tube of original Liquid Nails and glued the trim back on. Yes, I pumped that sucker full of Liquid Nails until it squirted out everywhere.

I then used a small wood screw at the bottom of that trim. Actually, I had some extra RV Robertson Headed screws I picked up and used it. I pre-drilled a small pilot hole in that trim (mine was plastic) as I didn't want it to crack out. I then screwed the screw in and it finally hit something solid. Right on the corner, it will hit something.

All you need to do is tighten that screw down enough to hold the trim in place. Once the Liquid Nails dries solid, that trim will NEVER come off and water, sun, cold, and heat will never hurt the Liquid Nails. That's how I fixed mine, on 3 separate occasions.

Now, if the same corner ever gets clipped again ... well ... then it WILL go in for an insurance claim. I doubt the trim will ever rip off again. If it rips off, it will take the entire rear of the trailer with it!

I've used Liquid Nails (the original... don't use the specialty flavors, like "for projects" or for plastics or for Styrofoam. Those won't hold up to the weather elements. Original Liquid Nails does! That stuff is marvelous. Also, don't use something else, Gorilla, Lock-Tite or one of those. I don't know how those hold up against the weather elements. I do know, beyond any doubt and with 40 years of experience using Liquid Nails, Liquid Nails will hold up in any weather, forever!

I use liquid nails with great caution. It IS a forever application and whatever you glue together will have to be torn out in the future vs being removed or disassembled. On a piece that is designed to be removed to access other parts I would'nt want to make a permanent bond between them IMO. It's worked for you in the past and that's good. I've used it and had good success, I've also used it and had to tear out a wall because it is "permanent".
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:44 PM   #8
oldnjrver
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Allentown
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwoodco1 View Post
I am looking to get some advice on how to repair my camper or if it isn't something feasibly DIY>
Had my camper parked and unfortunately it got clipped by my neighbor. He told me right away and offered to repair or pay for repairs which is great, so I would like to do it DIY if it can be done. As you can see in the pictures the front trim is pulled out and the first 5 screw holes are stripped so now the front and side panels are also loose. What is the best way to fix? Just caulk won't work as this trim holds the front and side in place, but the screws don't have anything to bite into it seems like.
I did the same kind of damage to my TT backing into a camp site, on a protruding branch stump.. Ended up bending the trim back into place and inserted a couple of screw anchors, re-installed the screws with a reasonable amount of butyl caulk. She looks darn near good as new...

Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:28 AM   #9
Crystal17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 6
We had a similar issue and had it repaired professionally

So very sorry this happened to you. We can appreciate how disheartening this damage is for you to cope with fixing. Upon signing in at a Campground here in NH our 2016 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR was sideswiped along the entire side while we were inside the office registering! It was hit and run with no video outside the office of the campground. Sigh.
We found a trucking commercial collision repair company about an hour away from where we live that repaired the camper just as if it was new! They could not get to it until Nov and kept the trailer on site all winter without charging us any storage fees. The following April we went to pick it up. They did an EXCELLENT job! They even took our Good Sam Insurance and all we paid was the required deductible.
I agree with others. Get this repaired correctly and properly. Have his insurance pay for it. Hope it can be repaired soon so you can used it this camping season!
Crystal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.