Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #21
PackFan

Mine sounds like a slightly different set up. The attached photo is the back side of the bracket. The 4 smaller screws penetrating look like they hold the box to the bracket and the 3 larger screws are for the cable clamps.

Keystone has some work to do to better educate their dealers on these Solar Flex systems. Based on my previous experience (and yours), my concern is that Camping World will be equally clueless when I bring it in. That's why I may dig into this myself prior so I have the knowledge to set them straight. Sad, but true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Switch Box Bracket.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	43032  
PackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:00 AM   #22
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post
Hey JVan:
I never got an owners manual for the shunt and got zero training or info from Camping World on the Solar Flex system. Heck, I didnt even know there was a shunt until I educated myself on the system.
You can download datasheets, manuals, schematic's and more here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...stem-schematic

Good luck.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #23
PackFan

Our Cougar is now at Camping World for warranty work, including figuring out what is wrong with the unresponsive Victron Smart Shunt.

As expected, the service advisor knew NOTHING about the Solar Flex 400i system. When I demonstrated the Victron Connect app to prove the smart shunt wasn't responding, I ran into a problem. The app picked up a smart shunt and charge controller apparently from an adjacent Keystone unit. I had to explain that these were NOT mine, so we will see how their troubleshooting goes.

On a related note, Camping World apparently charges for diagnosing and doing the paperwork on warranty claims. For the shunt, this was $195.00, plus some BS charges for environmental fees ($9.21) and shop supplies ($39.00). They said I would be responsible for these charges if the warranty claim is rejected by Keystone.

Has anyone heard of this policy at other RV dealers? I have not.

I won't go into the many other negative customer experiences we had purchasing this RV, but we do not plan on setting foot on Camping World premises again after this work is completed.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:52 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Our Cougar is now at Camping World for warranty work, including figuring out what is wrong with the unresponsive Victron Smart Shunt.

As expected, the service advisor knew NOTHING about the Solar Flex 400i system. When I demonstrated the Victron Connect app to prove the smart shunt wasn't responding, I ran into a problem. The app picked up a smart shunt and charge controller apparently from an adjacent Keystone unit. I had to explain that these were NOT mine, so we will see how their troubleshooting goes.

On a related note, Camping World apparently charges for diagnosing and doing the paperwork on warranty claims. For the shunt, this was $195.00, plus some BS charges for environmental fees ($9.21) and shop supplies ($39.00). They said I would be responsible for these charges if the warranty claim is rejected by Keystone.

Has anyone heard of this policy at other RV dealers? I have not.

I won't go into the many other negative customer experiences we had purchasing this RV, but we do not plan on setting foot on Camping World premises again after this work is completed.

First, did you buy the RV at this CW? If not you're pretty much fair game for them. If you did however; I would be talking, personally, to the service manager about those charges. If he is adamant talk to the GM. I go to CWs and I don't pay those charges for warranty work. Realize that Keystone does not pay them for isolation/troubleshooting work, they only pay them to fix the problem. Finding it is on them. From what I have deduced this can be "worked out" if the repair is approved. If it isn't - I've never encountered what you are nor would I put up with it.

Warranty repair approvals are pretty much in the hands of the dealer. If in fact you have a warrantable repair the way it is presented to Keystone will be key in their approval process. If the dealer doesn't know what they are doing, or doesn't care your chances of being turned down increase significantly. I personally would not give them a cent if they can't present a bonafide warranty issue well enough for Keystone to approve it.

Another issue it sounds like you may be confused on is the role between Keystone (or any other RV sales outlet). They are Keystone (or Jayco, GD etc.) SELLERS. A dealership that sells that particular product. They are not a dealer like a car dealership that sells Fords, Chevys etc. The dealer chooses what lines he wants to carry and Keystone will provide those based on their criteria for dealer density etc. Keystone has no control over the dealership...they sold them the RVs. Keystone honors "their" warranty on the things Keystone specifically builds and does the buyer a courtesy of running the legwork for other items that have warranties ie; appliances etc. Many times those items are fixed right away if found prior to signing the dotted line with no question. Once purchased items that were not checked prior to sale then can become a nightmare. Hopefully you get your issue sorted out. If you bought from them I would be front and center personally about those charges and a satisfactory solution or explanation. If you didn't buy from them...all bets are off.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:45 PM   #25
PackFan

Thanks Sourdough.

We purchased the RV from this same Camping World last June. We wanted the Cougar product and did not want to buy out of state.

I am happy to hear that all Camping Worlds do not operate similarly. The culture here appears to be one where "no" is pre-programmed into the employees and they have their onerous policies (like this one) memorized to dump on you on command. My experience is not unique based on the majority of 1 Star reviews for this location on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/camping-world-reno#reviews.

I get the dealership relationship and the fact that Keystone has limited control. We are also having some other items addressed that we caught during our pre-delivery walkthrough. Unfortunately, we didn't catch the shunt issue until later.

Believe me, I got to know the GM previously and will not hesitate to escalate again if necessary.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:15 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Sourdough.

We purchased the RV from this same Camping World last June. We wanted the Cougar product and did not want to buy out of state.

I am happy to hear that all Camping Worlds do not operate similarly. The culture here appears to be one where "no" is pre-programmed into the employees and they have their onerous policies (like this one) memorized to dump on you on command. My experience is not unique based on the majority of 1 Star reviews for this location on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/camping-world-reno#reviews.

I get the dealership relationship and the fact that Keystone has limited control. We are also having some other items addressed that we caught during our pre-delivery walkthrough. Unfortunately, we didn't catch the shunt issue until later.

Believe me, I got to know the GM previously and will not hesitate to escalate again if necessary.

I can tell you now that not all CW GMs (the guy that determines the customer experience among other things) are cut from the same cloth....some aren't worth their salt so keep that in mind.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:50 PM   #27
PackFan

Understood. Thanks again.

Tags
cougar, solar