Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2023, 06:52 PM   #1
Phx Refugee

Backup Alarm?

Not Keystone specific, but I'm looking for a backup alarm to put on my truck. Haven't found any reliable rankings/ratings, but the Brigade Electronics White Sound Backup Alarm looks intriguing, although at $129 at Camping World is considerably higher priced than most other models I see on Amazon. I don't want it to be obnoxious for everyone else in the CG, and can't decide whether I want to have the ability to switch it off when I want to be more stealthy. Does anyone out there have any wisdom to share?

2021 Crossroads Volante VL240RL21
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L Hemi
Phx Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:20 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Exactly why would an individual want one of those on a personal truck? Commercial trucks in all kinds of situations? Maybe, but a personal truck? You should have mirrors all around. Depending on where you are and what your driving habits you have you will more than likely have someone visiting with you everywhere you go as you back in/out of a site multiple times a day.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:39 PM   #3
Phx Refugee

I'm probably overly cautious, and I've waffled on whether I really want one. I don't like the idea of drawing undue attention, but I also worry about some oblivious idiot suddenly walking behind me when I'm backing up. And I live on a cul-de-sac with lots of little kids around. Even though I'm always watching my mirrors and camera, I worry that someone will sneak into a blind spot. I probably don't need one, but it would give me a little peace of mind.

The interesting thing about the Brigade unit I linked to is that it's directional, so it supposedly isn't very audible unless you are directly behind the vehicle.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:07 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I understand cautious, I oversaw a fleet of 4xx vehicles. A personal vehicle outfitted with the backing alarm used exclusively in your driveway public or commercial parking lot is one thing, it's a completely different animal when you take that vehicle into a congested RV campground where peoples RVs are a few feet apart - side to side and across the road....sleeping, talking etc. They will not be thinking how neat your alarm is....whether the white noise one or not. IMO use those mirrors and camera.

I have sensors on mine that tell me if vehicles, kids, bicycles etc. come into any of the zones. If you don't have them the camera, mirrors and attention will keep you out of trouble.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:12 PM   #5
bobbecky

For what you seem to justify the need for a backup alarm, if you can't have a live spotter behind you when backing, you might be better off hooking up a camera. This would also help to keep you from backing into fixed objects.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:32 PM   #6
travelin texans

When I got our golf cart the 1st modification was to disconnect the extremely annoying back up beeper. If any of my vehicles had a back up beeper it would also disconnected, I also turned off the horn honk feature when locking/unlocking the doors. Hope I never camp next to someone that has one.
We were parked next to a family that came & went 20 times a day & their horn seemed to honk non stop all day, every time they came & went.
The last couple vehicles we've had were equipped with back up alerts inside & a rear view camera but nothing audible outside.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:21 PM   #7
Phx Refugee

I'm the first one to grumble about the yapping dogs, loud music, and sharing youtube videos in restaurants. But I heard a backup alarm today that sounded more like a car door warning that the lights are on than a dump truck coming at me. Kind of a gentle pinging sound, so it made me wonder if there was some middle ground.

Old 03-13-2023, 02:47 AM   #8
jasin1

“Alex I’ll Take”…… “Annoying things that will make me the most hated person in the campground for $200 please”
Old 03-13-2023, 06:25 AM   #9
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
“Alex I’ll Take”…… “Annoying things that will make me the most hated person in the campground for $200 please”
Perfect answer. Definitely worth a chuckle.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:33 AM   #10
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Refugee View Post
Not Keystone specific, but I'm looking for a backup alarm to put on my truck. Haven't found any reliable rankings/ratings, but the Brigade Electronics White Sound Backup Alarm looks intriguing, although at $129 at Camping World is considerably higher priced than most other models I see on Amazon. I don't want it to be obnoxious for everyone else in the CG, and can't decide whether I want to have the ability to switch it off when I want to be more stealthy. Does anyone out there have any wisdom to share?

If your concern is only backing up your camper with the fear of a human sliding in behind it without you knowing it is probably 100% that it will never happen. Getting out and looking, along with the aid of a rear camera is my preferred method of backing in alone or with help. You could always wire in back-up lights that connect to your tow vehicle.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:10 AM   #11
notanlines

I'm with those siding with "most annoying in campground." Just reading about this gives me heartburn.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:23 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

When I hear a back up alarm I just think a trash truck just set a dumpster down ans backing up to clear the forks from under it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:34 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I've never seen (or heard) a backup alarm actually move a bike or a skateboard from the path of a vehicle, but walking behind the truck before getting into the driver's seat will, if you're paying attention while making that path the way you always get into the truck....

I won't "scream" this part of the post, but imagine the "extra loud, all caps response anyway).... That "almost pleasant, like a door chime sound" is just as DAMN annoying at 6AM when I'm in a tent in the next campsite as your freaking diesel that you idle for 15 minutes so it "warms up" or your "confirming lock success" by the beeping truck horn at midnight.....

There ain't no (none, NONE) mechanical sound from an alarm (they're called alarm for a reason) that isn't intended to be obnoxious so it gets your attention.

Honestly, if backing "responsibly" whether it's out of your drive on a cul-de-sac or in a crowded campsite, the important aspects are to know what's behind you, back slowly while using mirrors/camera/backup sensors to help, but actually looking behind you by turning in the seat so you can see a kid on a bike or a "semi-conscious adult" with their head someplace other than on their shoulders.....

Besides, a 7 year old, racing through the campground on their bicycle (or chasing a ball or dog) isn't going to be focused on listening for a "beeping truck" but rather is going to be "self centered on either having fun or catching the ball/dog".... They likely won't hear your "pleasant chime like a car door" so saving the money probably is a better option.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:46 AM   #14
Phx Refugee

I appreciate all the replies. It seems unanimous; the only good backup alarm is no backup alarm. Thanks for talking me off the fence!

Old 03-13-2023, 12:25 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I think you made a good decision. Attention and setting some practices that assure you look around your vehicle will do more for you and you will have FAR more friends!
Old 03-19-2023, 08:32 AM   #16
G Giroux

No back up alarm, use 4 way flasher

I drove bus after retiring. ( I love driving)
AND still use some of the safety habits that we were thought. Use your 4-way hazard flasher every time you put your vehicle in reverse. Most people will understand its meaning.
G Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:38 AM   #17
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Refugee View Post
I appreciate all the replies. It seems unanimous; the only good backup alarm is no backup alarm. Thanks for talking me off the fence!
As a retired UPS driver, there are many rules to backing up. First, visually clear the area, this could mean looking at you spot as you are pulling up, also letting a passenger out to stand in the spot to guide you and keep others from crossing your path. Second back immediately, the more time you take, the more likely someone or something can cross you path.
Third, back slowly and cautiously. Fourth, use your mirrors and if so equipped, your back up camera, but never rely on only the camera, use only as a third mirror. Fifth, if you have any doubt, stop and get out. Look around see what is going on.
UPS is is so worried about backing accidents that we are told to only back when necessary. Obviously in a campground, it is necessary.
We were told that we couldn't put back up alarms on our trucks, so we had to honk the horn every two to three seconds to warn others. I was told by my mechanic and supervisor that adding a back up alarm wasn't allowed due to DOT rules because only the manufacturer of the vehicle could add it. Not really sure I believe that, but that's what I was told.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:36 AM   #18
Hamops

I found a back-up alarm for about 20 bucks. I mounted it on the kingpin arm of our 5vr. I connected it to the back-up light circuit that goes to the truck on the trailer umbilical cable. The alarm sounds only when the umbilical cable is connected to the truck, and you are backing the whole rig. Once the cable is disconnected the alarm is disabled. You can probably find a back-up alarm at Harbor Freight or Princess Auto in Canada. Hope that this helps.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote