Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 05:30 PM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
All I ever use is Transynd fluid.. I have 160K now on the LBZ and Allison six speed.. pan never dropped and Allison states do not drop the pan and replace internal filter unless rebuilding or other issues

The spin on filter and magnet catch it all.. IMO

I change my fluid and spin on every 25K miles regardless .. fluid is always noc3 and red.. Tis what I wanna see,
Have to change the internal filter to an extended length filter when you put the deep pan on, but that’s the only time I’ve changed it. I do the spin on every 20k. I drain the fluid in the pan at 50k and add 3.5 gallons of new. Well that’s what I did when I had a truck with that many miles, had over 170k on my 2011. I spoke to a tech that used to test fluids for Allison. He said the Transynd was good for 100k miles. They never tested Amsoil, but the chemical makeup of it is very similar to Transynd.

I’m just saying the new 10 speed without the spin on I would probably change the filter every 50k. To be honest, I’ve never looked at the recommended maintenance procedures/intervals for it since I don’t have one.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:25 AM   #22
rjrelander

Shop called this morning and had mostly good news. Said it was just the NOx sensor(s) and they have the parts local. Didn't ask if it was the upstream, downstream, or both sensors. Hopefully it will clear the system fault and it's not hiding something else. They also found a leak in the timing cover, so they were going to fix that as well.

Now they just need to sort everything out with the extended service company. Might spend more time doing that than actually fixing it. If it's covered, it's just the $100 deductible. Even if it's not covered, replacing NOx sensors is a lot less expensive than a complete exhaust fluid system overhaul or replacement. Still painful at $300 or so retail for just parts on a single sensor though.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #23
Pull Toy

Fortunately, my '16 F350 has been behaving well! Only one shop visit for a DEF related fault. The rearmost sensor clogged, and called for a DEEP Regen at the dealership. Sensor changed, system cleaned, no further problems, after over-nighter in shop.

Haven't heard anything good about the new Ford 10 speed! AND, what's the point of custom order priority builds, when they want you to immediately start deleting the very items you custom ordered for?!?

On my last oil change, the dealer did offer me $10,000 more than I paid for my truck brand new, but what am I supposed to replace it with? $$$$$$$$$

Don't even get me started on this ridiculous ELECTRIC TOY TRUCK!!!

Good Luck, Happy Camping!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:11 PM   #24
Kzneft

www.powerstrokehelp.com

Lot and lots of videos of what causes problems in all the Ford trucks, old to new. A great website for lots of knowledge. Look for the DEF in search
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #25
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Have to change the internal filter to an extended length filter when you put the deep pan on, but that’s the only time I’ve changed it. I do the spin on every 20k. I drain the fluid in the pan at 50k and add 3.5 gallons of new. Well that’s what I did when I had a truck with that many miles, had over 170k on my 2011. I spoke to a tech that used to test fluids for Allison. He said the Transynd was good for 100k miles. They never tested Amsoil, but the chemical makeup of it is very similar to Transynd.

I’m just saying the new 10 speed without the spin on I would probably change the filter every 50k. To be honest, I’ve never looked at the recommended maintenance procedures/intervals for it since I don’t have one.
With the Ford 6 speed I changed the fluid at the recommended 150,000 mile interval. The transmission tech (a friend of mine that worked at the same dealer that I did) said the fluid was dirty but it showed no sign of overheating. He swears by these transmissions. The only failures he had seen was from low fluid conditions. In other words a leaking transmission that has overheated.

I'm certain many will say that's too long to go without changing the fluid/filter and I can understand that. I'm pretty old school when it comes to vehicle maintenance myself. I had a hard time going past 3000 miles on an oil change. But here I am at 198K miles so I'll get the fluid changed again at 200K. And I have made myself wait until 5000 miles on oil changes now.

I spoke with a retired Ford transmission engineer and asked him just how good the 6 speeds were and he said the tested the trucks under max load for 250K miles using the factory recommended intervals. And the 10 speed that Ford shares with GM (I understand Ford was the lead engineer) from what I hear is pretty stout too. I think there were some early issues with hard shifting but I'm guessing that's been resolved. My wife has a 2018 Escalade with the 10 speed and it's very smooth, really don't feel the shifts at all.

I read where GM is calling their version of the 10 speed an Allison but from what I have read about it, it's only "certified" by Allison. Whatever that means. And since GM owned Allison at one time.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #26
meaz93*

I've got a cousin back in Iowa that has had diesel vehicles for most of his adult life. He owns a lot of land and farms hay using heavy diesel powered equipment.
First thing he told me is use Howes Diesel Anti-Gel & Fuel Conditioner when fueling up.
I've got 30k on my 2021 F250 6.7L....and I use it religiously.
The 10 speed transmission is amazing BTW, especially coming from a 6 speed automatic.
Ford & GM engineered the 10 speed unit together. It is used in the Duramax and Powerstroke.
I think like anything else maintenance is a huge factor in longevity.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:19 AM   #27
mriski

My 2015 did that to me. Was 120 miles away from Friday afternoon and had to back at work on Monday. Went to local Ford dealership and their diesel mechanic was off that day. Got up Saturday morning and called AAA. They would tow my truck but no way to tow my 5er. Left it at the campgrounds and went home with my daughter.

Called my dealership where we purchase the Montana (this is number 4 from them) to see if they could go get my 5er. 30 minutes later sales manager called be back and said that I could take one of there service trucks and go get it. Needed to go in the shop for new camper issues. Dealership said to fill up the truck no additional cost. Great customer service. That is why we keep going back.

Local Ford dealership looked at truck on Wednesday replaced both NOX sensors and had it back on Friday.
mriski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:05 PM   #28
rjrelander

Just realized that I never provided any closure to this thread.

The NOx sensors were indeed causing the exhaust fluid system fault. They replaced both of them for the $100 deductible under the extended warranty and were able to clear the fault. No trouble with the exhaust fluid system since then.

The timing cover leak they found was also repaired under the same deductible. Unfortunately, they had to drop the engine to get at the timing cover.

When they dropped the engine, they noticed that the skid plate was banged up and found some dirt packed up into the frame. The vehicle came in from Canada used on auction, so maybe they hit a moose or something. Anyway, when they removed the skid plate, they found some damage to the wiring harness. I think that came to about $350 to repair which was not covered under the extended warranty.

Finally, when they were putting it all back together, they noticed a radiator leak, so they replaced the radiator under the same deductible as well. Short story long, it came to about $450 to repair/replace enough equipment to more than pay for the extended warranty we bought.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Excellent! Thanks for the follow up. Sometimes those extended warranties DO come in handy!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote