Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
wozzukes

A/C and TV

So we're out on our first trip where we are using the a/c and are having an interesting issue. I'm not sure if the problem lies in the wiring of our rig or in the campground itself. Right now I'm leaning towards campground, but just wanted some other opinions.

When we first got here we didn't notice any issues. We then starting having power outages that were campground-wide. The park office said that it was because they were at capacity and everyone was running their a/c. Well after the power issues we started having issues with our TV when the a/c is on. As soon as the a/c kicks on the TV shuts off and loses all power. At first it would shut off and come back on, but as time went on it now shuts off and won't come back until a few minutes after we shut the a/c off. We ran an extension cord from the TV, out a window and into the 110 outlet on the post and experienced the same issue, which is why I think it is not a problem with our rig but maybe just being at the end of the row we don't have enough juice to power both. Our friend's next to us don't appear to be having an issue though.

Anyone ever have a similar issue? Thoughts? Suggestions? We're going out again next weekend so I guess that will be a good test to figure out if it is something in our wiring or if it just the place we are currently at.

And as I'm typing this the power has gone out again! I think I want my $4 per night surcharge back for using the a/c since we can't use it half the time anyway!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Me.Bikes.Dogs

It does sound like a low-power issue. Be careful running your sensitive electronics and motors. Any item that has a motor (a/c, fridge) can be severely damaged in a brownout condition. It can overheat the motor and burnout.

A brown out can be just as bad as a surge for sensitive electronics. That campground needs an upgrade!
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Terrydactile

You are obviously running on low voltage. Your TV will not operate correctly running on low voltage. Do not run your A/C, you can permantly damage it.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
wozzukes

Thanks for your responses. Low voltage was definitely the issue. After the power went out while I was typing my post we complained and the park manager came over and said that it was only our 3 sites (3 of us are together) that are having power issues and we must be running way too much. We're not running anything out of the ordinary and had even switched our water heater over to the propane to get that off of the electric. Our friends next to us have the Outback travel trailer with the fancy outdoor kitchen and they have the 2 refrigerators running so of all of us they were drawing the most. The guy pulled their breaker and it was so hot he could barely touch it, so that was obviously a problem. He ended up coming back with extension cords and running them across the road to a site that is being used by tenters who aren't using the power, and we are now able to power the TV and all is well. It doesn't appear we had any damage to anything during the low voltage spells.

The guy swears up and down that all of the sites have 30 amp and they have never had this problem before and have big trailers in here all the time. He was talking about issuing us a refund if it went out again, and I believe it did go out again overnight but I was so groggy I don't really remember, so I'm not sure if they will make good on it or not.

I had been looking at EMS systems previously, but never got too far with my research. After this experience I definitely think we need to invest in one ASAP. Any recommendations?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Low voltage

Low voltage in these situations ca have many causes. The utility transformer could be undersized or the feeder wires in the park could be undersized for the load.

Carrying a voltmeter in the trailer will help to diagnose these situations and assist in complaining to the management but, of course, it will not solve the problem.

Voltage boosting autotransformers are available but they are quite expensive ( several hundred dollars) and heavy. A/C compressors can burn out from a long term low voltage condition and the TVs and computers on the circuit will not operate correctly. The electronics problem can be solved by a good UPS unit which includes voltage regulation but that will not help the A/C or microwave.

If you can't get satisfaction in solving the problem, do without the A/C and move on to a better equipped park. Voting with one's feet is effective --and tell management why you are miving.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
DocData757

Care to share the name and/or location of this campground?
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
wozzukes

The campground was called Pequea Creek Campground and was in Pequea, PA. The ironic thing is the campground is "owned", or at least is on land owned by PPL (Pennsylvania Power & Light) and their logo is all over the signs for the campground. I'm not exactly sure of their involvement with the campground itself, but you would think such a large provider of power would at least be able to service their own property!

Overall, it was a very nice campground and had some of the nicest sites we have been to as far as layout, space and shading is concerned, but the power issue was a real downer. The other thing that I didn't understand was how you had to go past the sites to the director's office to check in, then turn around and come back to get to your site, all on a road that was impossible for 2 trailers to pass each other. You also had to leave the campground, turn around in a jug handle and come back in to dump, and then go turn around again at the director's office to leave once again having to go down the one lane wide road. Luckily we didn't have any issues except for trying to get past 1 trailer. I swear you couldn't slide a piece of paper between our rigs but we got past okay after a few minutes of not breathing!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
azr405

Well I would definitely scratch that place off my list and spread the word also as bad publicity seems to move much quicker than good. A person has to be fairly careful with voltage problems as they can screw up your stuff pretty quick. Low or high voltage.
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
cumminsdad08

sounds kinda sketchy to me. i on the other hand, had all the flippin room i needed this weekend in sulivan county. not a soul in site, just some gas drillers stayin in there, but they left early and came in late and slept the whole time.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
mhs4771

Get your self a little plug-in volt meter, at a minimum. It can be used to monitor the power in your rig. We recently stayed at a Campground in New Hampshire with similar power issues. We were the only ones there and power was poor at best, I hate to think what it's like say this past week-end when every site is full.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Johnnyfry

Low voltage

The EMS devices are a good idea because they have over and under voltage trip outs. In addition the best ones monitor line-neutral reversals, no ground, hot ground which are all dangerous conditions.

Your situation could also have been caused by a faulty neutral connection at the transformer. The normal single phase utility configuration is a center tapped transformer with 120 volts on either side of the center tap and 240 volts across the entire transformer. If the neutral is faulty at the transformer, an increase in the load on one side causes a voltage drop on that side and an increase on the other side. You could get a case where one outlet was 80 volts and the other getting 160 volts --- not a good situation to say the least. This would change with load from one minute to the next. If both loads were equal both sides would receive 120 Volts.

Best defense is to carry a voltmeter, a plug in outlet checker and a non contact voltage detector. A EMS device, although pricey, will accomplish most of these functions automatically.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
wozzukes

I should have known we were going to be in for an interesting weekend when we got there to find a truck parked in our site that belonged to the camper next to us with no one around to move it. They ended up calling a tow truck in to move it.

My husband said he's putting a volt meter in the camper so we always have one with us in the event of future problems. We're also looking at the Progressive EMS system. I think I'd rather invest the 300 or so bucks to protect our trailer and have that protection and peace of mind than deal with this again and have to replace a refrigerator or a/c unit which will be a lot more than 300 smackaroos.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
blangen

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzukes View Post
Thanks for your responses. Low voltage was definitely the issue. After the power went out while I was typing my post we complained and the park manager came over and said that it was only our 3 sites (3 of us are together) that are having power issues and we must be running way too much. We're not running anything out of the ordinary and had even switched our water heater over to the propane to get that off of the electric. Our friends next to us have the Outback travel trailer with the fancy outdoor kitchen and they have the 2 refrigerators running so of all of us they were drawing the most. The guy pulled their breaker and it was so hot he could barely touch it, so that was obviously a problem. He ended up coming back with extension cords and running them across the road to a site that is being used by tenters who aren't using the power, and we are now able to power the TV and all is well. It doesn't appear we had any damage to anything during the low voltage spells.

The guy swears up and down that all of the sites have 30 amp and they have never had this problem before and have big trailers in here all the time. He was talking about issuing us a refund if it went out again, and I believe it did go out again overnight but I was so groggy I don't really remember, so I'm not sure if they will make good on it or not.

I had been looking at EMS systems previously, but never got too far with my research. After this experience I definitely think we need to invest in one ASAP. Any recommendations?
Progresssive Industries. Far and away the best. Um... yes, that's my opinion but I have lots of company. And the protection is not just a good idea... I think it's a MUST HAVE.
blangen is offline   Reply With Quote