Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
GBHRPS

Water Heater Ooops!

Last fall's winterizing caught up to me this week. Getting ready for our first trip this season and I discover that our water heater will not work on 110 volts, but will on propane.

Research online tells me that when I drained the water heater with the trailer hooked up to the house AC, I failed to turn off the switch to the electric heater element. I didn't know there even was a switch, for it hidden down under the gas line in the lower left corner of the unit. Consequently, without water surrounding the element to cool it, the element destroyed itself.
(Wouldn't you know that the manual for the water heater was the only manual missing when we purchased our used trailer.)

Our unit is a Suburan SW6DE, basically a 6 gallon direct ignition (for the gas) and electric (110 volts) two way water heater. So I downloaded the service manual from the web, skipped to the 110 volt electrical operation section and dove in.

The test procedure for the heater element is to remove the cover over the element's wiring, and using a digital meter, check for 10 ohms across the element's connections. Mine was 1.8 ohms and definitely burned out.

Armed with the make and model number of my water heater I was off to a local trailer supply store and got a replacement for around $20, taxes and all.
This new unit registered 10.6 ohms. (Must be good!)

Back home and with a one and a half inch socket I removed the old element and installed the new one. Problem solved.

For those of you with dual propane/electric water heaters .... be sure that electrical switch under the outside door of the water heater is turned off BEFORE you drain the water tank. As for making this repair yourself, it is a fairly easy DIY if there ever was one. Good Luck!

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Flyguy

Well done! That's exactly the spirit that's necessary to own and maintain an RV; if you try to pawn off every problem to a dealer you will find that the RV is unaffordable, that's not to say that every problem is a DIY type. Just my 0.02c worth.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Easy mistake to make. That switch should also have a pin through it to prevent turning on accidentally. You can also turn off the electric element at the circuit breaker panel. Any hardware store or plumbing supply will have that element and usually at a cheaper price, just be sure voltage and watts are the same as the old one.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
ftwildernessguy

I am so paranoid about this that I turn off the switch on the wall, turn off the circuit breaker in the box, and turn off the switch on the heater.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
GBHRPS

Hankpage's comment about putting a pin through the switch caused a flashback!

While doing the heater element change I noticed a thin wire clip pin attached to one of the electrical wires under the water heater cover. Peeking at the switch for the 110 volt on/off switch for the electrical heater element just now, I discover it has a hole through it.

Duh! Obviously the wire clip goes through the switch to prevent accidentally turning the 110 power on when the tank is empty! (Why the he** didn't I see that last fall when I was draining the tank?!?!?! Dabnabbitt!!!)
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBHRPS View Post
Hankpage's comment about putting a pin through the switch caused a flashback!

While doing the heater element change I noticed a thin wire clip pin attached to one of the electrical wires under the water heater cover. Peeking at the switch for the 110 volt on/off switch for the electrical heater element just now, I discover it has a hole through it.

Duh! Obviously the wire clip goes through the switch to prevent accidentally turning the 110 power on when the tank is empty! (Why the he** didn't I see that last fall when I was draining the tank?!?!?! Dabnabbitt!!!)
They are called "Senior Moments" and sooner or later they catch up to all of us. I'm speaking from experience ....... lots of it. I used to laugh at check lists .... now I live by them.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
pirates55

What is that switch on the water heater is stuck in the off position?? Can the on off switch be replaced. I tried to flip the one on my camper the other day and I couldn't get it to go to the on position.

Anyone had this problem before. It seems to heat water when I have the gas but haven't tried it with electricity yet.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Ruffus

Talking Stuck switch

Did you try taking the locking pin out first then try switching it, just checking and being a smart allic!!!!
Jim
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
cpaulsen

Thats exactly why I just installed a lighted switch inside the trailer.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
pirates55

I looked and didn't see the locking pin. if its there its invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Did you try taking the locking pin out first then try switching it, just checking and being a smart allic!!!!
Jim
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

What you are looking for is a small cotter pin: about 3/4 -1 in long. It is not secured to anything so it may have fallen out or otherwise gone missing. If you look carefully at the rocker switch, there will be small hole which accepts this pin. All you need to do is replace the lost pin with one that will go through the hole.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
wyattphoto

I had a similar issue with my heater element (same cause!), however the burned out element caused a secondary problem - tripping GFCI outlets when plugged into friend's homes as "shore power". The issue was a partially-shorted electric water heater element drawing too much leakage current to ground. Replacing the element solved the problem. More details on my web site http://www.wyattphoto.com/Trailer_GF...ping_Wyatt.pdf.
wyattphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
skidroc1

I believe I have the same problem only mine donesn't work on gas or electric. Haven't checked the element but do you think it shoulds like the same issuse?
skidroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
hankaye

skidroc1, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidroc1 View Post
I believe I have the same problem only mine donesn't work on gas or electric. Haven't checked the element but do you think it shoulds like the same issuse?
Just looked thru my manual from Surburban, pg 6 at the bottom of the page ...
talks about the Manual RESET.
It should be located right below the Pressure Relief Valve (upper lefthand side).
That is for Models; SW6D, SW6DE, SW6DM & SW6DEM.
If you have a 10 Gal. it MAY be the same. I would, however, check the Surburban website.

Good Luck hope you find the cure soon.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote