Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2023, 07:46 AM   #1
malibu43

2021 Passport - Wash/Wax question

We bought our Passport (219 BHWE) new in Aug 2021. I washed it once sometime around Aug/Sept 2022 with Camco Wash and Wax (pic attached). Other than that, I think it was washed about 4 times in that first year by the dealer each time we took it in for service. I have no idea what the dealer used or if it was ever waxed in addition to being washed.

A few months ago, I noticed that the front of the trailer just above the "Passport" decal was very dirty (sorry, did not get a "before" pic). My truck blocks the front of the trailer below that, but this section is exposed to everything else the trailer encounters on the road.

I went to wash that section yesterday and started with the Camco Wash and Wax and an extended soft brush, but after the trailer dried, it was still dirty. I tried washing by hand with more elbow grease, but it did not get it off. After some internet research, I tried a rag with white vinegar, but it still did not come off. Finally, after another internet search, I used a Magic Eraser and A LOT of elbow grease. It took a few tries, but I finally got it cleaned.

It rained over night, and I noticed when I came out this morning that you can clearly see where I scrubbed yesterday because no water is beading up on that part of the trailer (pic attached).

At this point I have a few questions:

1. Is this front part of my trailer painted fiber glass? I'm assuming it's not a gel coat...
2. I'm hoping that the difference in appearance when the trailer is wet is due to me stripping off wax and not the magic eraser damaging the surface...?
3. Depending on the answer to #1, what is the correct wax product to use to protect that part of the trailer moving forward? Is my Camco Wash and Wax enough, or should I use a separate wax product?

Thanks!

edit- sorry for the sideways pics. Not sure if I can fix that.

edit again - Another thing I noticed - I went all the way across the front of the trailer at the height of the passport decal, so I'm not sure why the difference in appearance doesn't extend all the way to the edges. The spot you can see in the picture was the last spot I did, since I had to lay on top of the trailer and reach down to reach that part...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230322_081523.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	43329   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230322_081429.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	43330  
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
Canonman

I've had good results with Meguiars One Step oxidation remover and polish.
It's not too abrasive but will remove oxidation and grime that's left on the surface after washing. Easy to use. I'd recommend doing the entire front cap to insure even results.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_0363.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	43331  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:13 PM   #3
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I've had good results with Meguiars One Step oxidation remover and polish.
It's not too abrasive but will remove oxidation and grime that's left on the surface after washing. Easy to use. I'd recommend doing the entire front cap to insure even results.
Thanks. Looks like I can easily get that locally.

Would I still want to apply a wax to the front cap after using that?
Old 03-22-2023, 03:50 PM   #4
Canonman

The One Step product leaves a polished surface with a nice shine. No real need to polish after using the One Step.
I'll do use a polish like Nu Finish particularly on the front cap as the season wears on.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:02 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Typically, a product like Meguiars One Step is an abrasive paste (to remove the oxidation) and will polish the surface, leaving a nice shine, but there is little to no "long lasting protection" like you'd find in a "follow up wax or surface protection"...

So, I'd recommend following the Meguiars One Step with a quality automotive finish wax or surface protection product...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:30 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I use Meguiar's 50 One Step cleaner wax. It does a very good job for light oxidation....and I've buffed (power) a 38' trailer with it that had medium oxidation. I was very pleased initially with the first results but in a few months it was starting to look like I needed to do it again (one heck of a lot of work with broke up arms and shoulders). For me I found that after using it I apply a wax; Meguiars, Turtle Wax, Nu Finish - it won't matter but I do that about every 4-5 mos. If not the finish starts to get dull and requires a lot of work.

If one does the initial polish/waxing one thing I noticed, and posted about, is waiting long enough for the initial wax to cure. I didn't do that a few years back and it was like trying to put stiff wax on glue...not good.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
We bought our Passport (219 BHWE) new in Aug 2021. I washed it once sometime around Aug/Sept 2022 with Camco Wash and Wax (pic attached). Other than that, I think it was washed about 4 times in that first year by the dealer each time we took it in for service. I have no idea what the dealer used or if it was ever waxed in addition to being washed.

A few months ago, I noticed that the front of the trailer just above the "Passport" decal was very dirty (sorry, did not get a "before" pic). My truck blocks the front of the trailer below that, but this section is exposed to everything else the trailer encounters on the road.

I went to wash that section yesterday and started with the Camco Wash and Wax and an extended soft brush, but after the trailer dried, it was still dirty. I tried washing by hand with more elbow grease, but it did not get it off. After some internet research, I tried a rag with white vinegar, but it still did not come off. Finally, after another internet search, I used a Magic Eraser and A LOT of elbow grease. It took a few tries, but I finally got it cleaned.

It rained over night, and I noticed when I came out this morning that you can clearly see where I scrubbed yesterday because no water is beading up on that part of the trailer (pic attached).

At this point I have a few questions:

1. Is this front part of my trailer painted fiber glass? I'm assuming it's not a gel coat...
2. I'm hoping that the difference in appearance when the trailer is wet is due to me stripping off wax and not the magic eraser damaging the surface...?
3. Depending on the answer to #1, what is the correct wax product to use to protect that part of the trailer moving forward? Is my Camco Wash and Wax enough, or should I use a separate wax product?

Thanks!

edit- sorry for the sideways pics. Not sure if I can fix that.

edit again - Another thing I noticed - I went all the way across the front of the trailer at the height of the passport decal, so I'm not sure why the difference in appearance doesn't extend all the way to the edges. The spot you can see in the picture was the last spot I did, since I had to lay on top of the trailer and reach down to reach that part...

you should never ever use a magic eraser on gelcoat or anything that has a painted surface with a gloss finish like a car or boat ,rv…it’s too abrasive,( unless it’s really far gone) i’ve seen it dull a gelcoat on a boat and make it near impossible to bring to a high gloss finish again after someone tried to remove water stains from the hull…as new as your trailer is you should have been able to bring it back with a good mild cleaner wax…always start mild and if that doesn’t work you can go with a little more abrasive…if you go the other way it’s too late.
the gel coat is so thin on these trailers it doesn’t take much to mess it up
may want to pay a detail guy or gal ( one that deals with fiberglass boats and rvs )to just do the front cap…they know what to do
Old 03-24-2023, 07:30 AM   #8
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
you should never ever use a magic eraser on gelcoat or anything that has a painted surface with a gloss finish like a car or boat ,rv…it’s too abrasive,( unless it’s really far gone) i’ve seen it dull a gelcoat on a boat and make it near impossible to bring to a high gloss finish again after someone tried to remove water stains from the hull…as new as your trailer is you should have been able to bring it back with a good mild cleaner wax…always start mild and if that doesn’t work you can go with a little more abrasive…if you go the other way it’s too late.
the gel coat is so thin on these trailers it doesn’t take much to mess it up
may want to pay a detail guy or gal ( one that deals with fiberglass boats and rvs )to just do the front cap…they know what to do
Thanks, and noted for the future. I was looking at the trailer with the light hitting it from different angles yesterday and I think the surface finish looks Ok where I used the magic eraser, but I won't do it again.

You referred to my cap as having a "gel coat" a couple of times. Is it in fact gel coat? Or is it just painted fiberglass? At one point previously I was researching some cleaning/waxing information, and it seemed like those needed to be cared for in different ways. So I've been wondering what exactly that is on the front of my trailer...
Old 03-24-2023, 02:21 PM   #9
malibu43

Under more direction sunlight today, the areas I used the magic eraser on are definitely a little hazy. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something that polishing will fix and I didn't actually remove too much of the coating...
Old 03-25-2023, 04:53 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
Thanks, and noted for the future. I was looking at the trailer with the light hitting it from different angles yesterday and I think the surface finish looks Ok where I used the magic eraser, but I won't do it again.

You referred to my cap as having a "gel coat" a couple of times. Is it in fact gel coat? Or is it just painted fiberglass? At one point previously I was researching some cleaning/waxing information, and it seemed like those needed to be cared for in different ways. So I've been wondering what exactly that is on the front of my trailer...
I am not sure about the gel coat or if it’s just painted with an automotive type paint and clear coat..or possibly just painted filon..JRTJH (John) may offer some insight …i was using the gelcoat as a generic explanation of the painted surface on the front of some TT and fifth wheels
Old 04-04-2023, 06:28 PM   #11
malibu43

Attached is an image of what magic eraser does to your finish. Don't do it!

Finally got around to polishing with Meguiars One Step Compound and then applying Meguiars Cleaner Wax. The bad parts look better, but the lower part I never touched with the magic eraser looks like... well, like an ameture tried to polish and wax it. I used a dual action buffer, but polishing is like some voodoo or dark magic I don't understand. Could not get ride of all the streaks, but the wax seemed to hide it pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230325_133132.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	43442  
Old 05-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #12
malibu43

Just an update, my polish and wax job did not hold up long. After a little rain and one road trip, it looked pretty bad again. Paid a mobile detailer to come yesterday and they polished away any oxidation and my hazy finish, and then did a good top coat with wax.

I'll wash and wax moving forward, but leave anything beyond that to professionals...
Old 03-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #13
dutchmensport

No help with the discoloration. If it were mine, I purchase a can of spray gel-coat from an automotive store and see if that restores the shine. It's quite obvious you got the camper clean.

In your future you need 3 items to clean just about everything on your camper. If more than this is needed, I'd be surprised.

First: WD-40. Spray WD-40 on spots of road tar. It will melt right off. Simply wipe with a soft paper towel. Stroke in one direction only (not up and down, or side to side), down only, or left or right only. The tar will melt right off and wiping it off will be very easy. WD-40 also melts bugs off. Let it sit a bit. It will dissolve squished bugs.

Second: Automatic dishwash liquid (not the powder stuff or stuff in plastic bags, the actual liquid and any brand works good.) Make a water - automatic dishwasher liquid solution, fairly strong with the dishwasher solution. Now, simply dip a cloth into the bucket of solution and slop it on the trouble spot. Let it sit for a couple minutes and use a soft brush and brush it, followed up by rinsing. This removes grease, bugs, water spots, calcium build up with air conditioner drips and acid rain, streaks, and general gunk. It will not hurt wax or pain. And this works absolutely fabulous on glass for water spots after dew or rain (same as in your dishwasher on your clear glass drinking cups). ... really!

Third: Dawn Dishwashing liquid. Dawn is great.... well, it use to be. The formula changed in February 2022 (I have an email from Dawn telling me this). So, really, to get the "original" Dawn from 2 years ago, you have to use Dawn Platinum now. The Platinum is what what the original "Dawn" was. Yes, even they admitted the current "Dawn" was down graded. But that is NOT advertised on television.

So, use Dawn on everything else on your camper. Dawn WILL strip the wax and it will leave white streaks if it's not rinsed good. So rinse very well. But if you really have a troubled spot on your camper, chances are, you will end up stripping the wax anyway. So, why take chances on rubbing the gel coat off or scaring the paint. Use Dawn with a soft RV brush and rinse.

(On your roof, you can probably use DAWN also, but check the manual for your specific RV roof system for your camper first.)

And ... I do use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the awning.... again ... wipe, I do not "scrub".... ever! It cleans the awning .... well ??? like "magic!"
Old 06-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #14
malibu43

Another update - after a few days I noticed that the trailer still had some spots the guy didn't get all the oxidation off. The owner of the mobile detailer said they'd take care of it next time they come to do a wash (which was not a great answer) but that it would keep coming back and the only permanent fix is to paint it. After reading up on it more today I've seen a lot of those same comments.

Then I saw that Keystone's 3 year structural warranty covers "paint fade" on fiberglass caps. Does that mean they'll cover my oxidation issue, or is that too good to be true?

I know the magic eraser dulled the finish, but at this point that's been addressed and I'm clearly dealing with oxidation as a bigger problem...
Old 06-07-2023, 07:33 AM   #15
mskeyspirate

I've had this issue since purchasing my Passport in 2015. I wash it several times a year, and wax at the beginning of spring, and fall prior to storage. Have tried many...many products. I do auto detailing on the side, and have yet to find what may take care of the fading/chalkiness on the top-front of my camper. Used to use Maguiars products exclusively. However I had many of their products turn to a watery consistancy when stored over winter. I have decided that I am going to put a vinyl wrap strip across that top front section. No more waxing, no more fading, should be trouble free. And i comes off if I choose with no remnants of glue or anything. May not be the answer, but willing to try almost anything.
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:37 AM   #16
malibu43

Just wanted to circle back on this - Keystone did, in fact, cover getting a new front cap. They rejected the claim at first, but after I pointed out the wording on their website, they accepted. Finally got around to getting it replaced a few weeks ago.

Any suggestions for the best wax/ceramic spray to try and keep it looking shiny as long as I can? The mobile detailer recommended Technicians Choice TEC582 Ceramic Spray. I've used it a few times. Leaves a nice shine but not sure how well it's really protecting.

I also noticed this new front cap has some creasing along the top where the tightest bend radius is. I'll start another thread to ask about that since it's a different topic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240314_091029.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	46394  
Old 03-14-2024, 03:31 PM   #17
LadyCPA

Congratulations. So glad you were able to get satisfaction from Keystone.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:10 PM   #18
Canonman

Our Cougar faces west all summer (May through October) while parked at the house. I've used NuFinish polish since we bought the Cougar new. No signs of any discoloration or fading. Damned hard shelled bugs have pitted the front decal a bit but even those spots have not peeled back or show any discernible wear.
Old 03-16-2024, 01:56 PM   #19
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Our Cougar faces west all summer (May through October) while parked at the house. I've used NuFinish polish since we bought the Cougar new. No signs of any discoloration or fading. Damned hard shelled bugs have pitted the front decal a bit but even those spots have not peeled back or show any discernible wear.
Which specific NuFunish product do you use?
Old 03-22-2024, 09:21 AM   #20
Forditude

Wow, she looks great with the new front end, glad they worked this out for you. I would ask them about the wrinkling if it will work itself out or needs something. that suggests an unattached gap between surfaces that typically will only grow. We have a 2016 Passport doing the same fade problem and it sounds like all solutions are short lived and jealous of your replacement over here. I've tried a half dozen products I've liked for automotive in the past and some only last a day or 1st rain since we store outside. the rear of our trailer is the same material as well and is starting to fade. any one else have much success??
Forditude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport