Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
campfirebob

slide will not open

2015 Keystone Bullet
charged the battery and plugged it in, hit the button for the silde room and the motor starts, but the room does not go out!
Stuck!
Now what?
campfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of slide...cable operated? Does the motor just start and sound normal with nothing happening or does it start to groan and bind? Has a cable come off a pulley or disconnected somewhere?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Are you sure the battery is fully charged? How was it maintained over the winter?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
campfirebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Are you sure the battery is fully charged? How was it maintained over the winter?
Put the battery in the garage for the winter and charged it for 24 hrs before putting it on the trailer like every other year. Battery is fully charged and shore power is connected.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you used some sort of "rubber conditioner" on the slide seals, possibly they are "stuck to the trailer wall" and you'll need to separate (unstick) them. Sort of like leaving a plastic worm in a "not wormproof" tackle box. Things "join hands and won't turn loose"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
notanlines

Bob, I am very skeptical of your battery/power supply as a whole. The RV needs to be reasonably level, the battery 100% and in your case the shore power connected. Recheck everything and get back to us.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfirebob View Post
Put the battery in the garage for the winter and charged it for 24 hrs before putting it on the trailer like every other year. Battery is fully charged and shore power is connected.
Hmmmmmm....just asking. You didn't reverse the polarity when you hooked up the battery? With shore power hooked up it could mask this maybe. If you unhook the shore power, does your 12v stuff still work?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 04-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
notanlines

Good spot, Chip. That one didn't cross my mind.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
campfirebob

I initially connected the ground wire to the positive battery terminal. When I tapped the other cable onto the negative terminal, I realized my mistake. I switched the wires to the correct terminals, then plugged the unit into the 120v outlet. All of the 12v operates fine, lights,fans, radio,etc. with or without the power connected.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
bill-e

Just a data point. 2015 Keystone Cougar. Battery does not even have to be installed to work the slides despite what the warning sticker states. WFCO converter.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
campfirebob

Tried having myself & my son on the outside pulling while my wife operated the control switch. It just won't move.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
campfirebob

I didn't try to move the slide without the battery installed.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
campfirebob

Opened the side covers of the cable assembly to see if a cable was loose or frayed. Couldn't see anything wrong. The motor starts to turn, the cables move about 1/2" or so, then the motor just makes a grinding sound, just like when the room is fully in or out.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
ChuckS

You stated you initially reversed connected battery terminals. I can almost guarantee your converter reverse polarity fuses blew. Even a quick momentary connection will blow them.

Hopefully yours has replaceable fuses. My neighbors WFCO had one internal soldered fuse and the AC supply and DC wires were hard soldered on the unit.. factory install

You will still have DC power and not realize your converter is not working until things go dim.

You could check converter output with shore power connected and disconnect one of the battery terminals and measure DC at the positive / negative battery cables. If not at least 13.6 then you will know you blew fuses on convertor

Regarding slides have you checked any resettable breakers for the DC to the slide motor?

Can you hear any sound at all from the motor?

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
campfirebob

OK. I'll look for fuses tomorrow. Should I be getting 13.6 volts on both positive & negative wires to the battery? Should I disconnect both to check my output? Would the motor still operate if I blew a fuse or damaged a breaker on the DC side? Motor does work both ways.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfirebob View Post
I initially connected the ground wire to the positive battery terminal. When I tapped the other cable onto the negative terminal, I realized my mistake. I switched the wires to the correct terminals, then plugged the unit into the 120v outlet. All of the 12v operates fine, lights,fans, radio,etc. with or without the power connected.
Check to make sure your reverse polarity fuses at the converter are not blown. If you are plugged in to shore power your 12v will work off of the converter. Unplugged from shore power and then see if your lights still work. I'm betting they won't.

The slides will work just on the converter, like was suggested above, but they shouldn't be used that way unless an emergency. There needs to be a battery connected to keep from overloading your converter. The kind of operation you are experiencing is due to this scenario. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 04-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

The reverse polarity fuses are the two red ones located just to the left of the vertical bank of fuses. The WFCO manual states that even a momentary connection (just tapping the terminal is enough) will cause the reverse polarity fuses to blow. Their only function is to safeguard the sensitive converter components from reverse voltage. So, they blow in a millisecond to save your converter. After that, all battery charging stops.

Once they are blown, everything in your trailer will continue to work until the battery discharges, then as things get dim, you'll realize that your converter isn't charging the battery.

Pull the fuses, you'll almost 100% find one or both of them blown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO-FusePanel.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	16107  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
ChuckS

If you have the WFCO 8900 series distribution panel there will be no reverse polarity fuses mounted in that panel.

Additionally there are no reverse polarity fuses mounted on the converter itself

http://www.trekwood.com/products/411...Circuits-Black

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9961.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	16108

Hopefully you will have a different style distribution center and converter installed. If not this WFCO is hard mounted in the distribution panel but can be replaced with one that actually has reverse polarity fuses and not hard wired into the AC bus like this one is.

Just replaced this unit on neighbors 2014 bullet.

Only fuse in this circuit is a hard soldered fuse on the circuit bird itself.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #19
ChuckS

Since you state the motor runs but cables hardly moved then either something is jammed in the slide area or something has broken at the motor shaft

Back to how to test your converter.

... if you have a meter measure the dc power with battery cables disconnected and plugged into shore power. If not at least 13.6 the converter has either blown reverse polarity fuses...If it has them.. or converter is bad..

Your unit may or may not have reverse polarity fuses. Pics would really help us to help you

Old 04-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #20
Pull Toy

Any reverse polarity, even if just for a second, is enough to trip any protection devices. I'd try to manually reset all breakers, and check all fuses, including any in-lines, and check the converter. Come off of shore power and see if you still have 12v. on battery alone. Then come off of battery, and see if your 12v appliances will work off of only shore power. I'm not familiar with your arrangements, but also check for a battery disconnect switch. But be aware that even if turned off, some 12v will still be present at some equipment , like your CO detector and hard wired smoke detectors etc.

The fact that the 12 volt lights work, may not indicate that there is enough amperage to power the slider. I would check the state of the disconnected battery charge with a multi meter. If you don't have one, Auto Zone, NAPA etc, will test it for free.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote