Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Lost

Front door lock

I noticed on our front door that someone had tried to break the lock. Is there a stronger lock I can get. This seems to be quite common as we noticed when looking for our 5th wheel that many 5th wheels had the same issue of someone trying to break in.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
michol02

TriMark has one that is a little better than some stock "FIC" handles.

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  9.3 KB
Stock# 060-0251 on Trimark web site.
I used to work for FEMA, and the FIC locks were easy to get into, especially if you had a master key(which used to be fairly easy to get). The Trimark is harder to "pick", and a master key usually will not fit the deadbolt(there were rare occasions when the master fit the deadbolt). There may be other locks out there that are better. If someone is trying to pry the door open with some sort of pry tool or large screwdriver, a standard travel trailer door is not going to fair well(I saw a lot of break-ins on abandoned and vacant units). Not trying to be negative here, but a good lock and maybe even a security system will improve odds of not getting broken into.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with the above comments. To "break into" an RV, all you really have to do is slip your fingers into the rubber gasket around the window in the door. Slide your fingers down the gasket and around one corner of the glass to separate it from the door frame, and push gently into the RV and work the rubber gasket around the opening and the window till fall out. Then just reach in and turn the lock lever and the door will open. These RV's aren't "Fort Knox" and they are really not designed to sustain much entry force.

It's back to the old saying...."Locks are to keep honest people honest." Beefing up the lock will usually just cause a thief to move to a bigger tool to get in if they are determined.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote