Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Quiroule

Weather strips problems.

The inside weather strips on the back side of both slideouts are being ripped at the windows. Front side is ok.

Looks like the aluminum piece holding the strip in about a ¼ of an inches closer to the slide then at the bottom. That leaves no room for the windows which goes through real tight again the rubber and the aluminum piece.

I tough of reinstalling the piece and changing the strip, but the aluminum is riveted to the piece installed on top of the slide and the rivets are between the inside and outside walls. That top piece is obviously to short.

I really don’t want to have the slides removed to fix that, and only changing the strip will not cure the problem.

Any suggestions?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Quiroule

After careful examination.

There are 2 rollers in the wall on each side of the slides, at the bottom. None at the top.

On the bedroom slide, the rear roller is again the slide, on the front one there is gap of a good half inches between the slide and the roller.

The living slide sits tight between the 2 rollers. None at the top either.

I wanted to add rollers to bring the slides forward, but obviously that will not be possible for the living room slide.

Now I need to find a way to fix that, and I can assure you that my next FW will not have cables.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Quiroule

Ops, I must confess that I jumped the gun on this one.

After writing this last post on August 28, I emailed Keystone and BAL about the Accu-Slide installation. A mister Dewitt from BAL got in touch with me within a couple of hours and gave me some hints.

I then dropped that to care about my daughter’s marriage.

Yesterday I followed on the hints, and the slides cables have nothing to do with the problem, the slides are out of square. The outside of the slides (exterior wall) are Ok, but the inside is out of square.

Got an email from Keystone yesterday afternoon saying that the slide may be out of square. I asked them if they had a fix.

Now I need to find out how to fix that.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
therink

How far out of square are the slides? It seems odd that both sides are not square.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
Quiroule

I used a 16 X 24 inches carpenter square.

I put the 16 inches side of the square inside the slide again the top left corner. I have ¼ inches open space at the corner between the top of the slide and the square. Now that’s ¼ of an inches over a 16 inches length.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
I used a 16 X 24 inches carpenter square.

I put the 16 inches side of the square inside the slide again the top left corner. I have ¼ inches open space at the corner between the top of the slide and the square. Now that’s ¼ of an inches over a 16 inches length.
Is this for both slides, or just one. I would recommend checking measurement of both to see if they are the same.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Quiroule

The bedroom slide being smaller, the gap is about 1/8 of an inches.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Rather than use a small square to try and check your slide to measure square (the roof/wall may be slightly warped), use a tape measure and carefully measure the distance from the top front to the bottom rear, then measure from the top rear to the bottom front. Those two measurements should be the same. Now, go outside and repeat the process The OUTSIDE measurements should be the same but may not be identical to the INSIDE measurements because the end points may not match. If they arethe same INSIDE and they are the same OUTSIDE, then the slide is square and your problem may be "bulging of the side wall" rather than non-square square framework. If those two measurements (inside) are different, you may be able to square the slide with a couple of cargo straps by tightening to reform it to square, however, if it is the outside that's not square, you may find that the only way to repair it is to rebuild the slide. My guess is that the slide was "racked" diagonally at some time and probably it's the inside that's not square. Cargo straps may well be your "best friend" in that situation.

GOOD LUCK !!!

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Quiroule

JRTJH

The outside is square, the inside is not.

I don’t understand how you would go about it using a cargo strap. If I could tie it from top left to bottom right, then I could use a strap. But I can’t, there is no way to tie it.

I probably don’t get it, so light my light.

Thanks

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Jim & Kay

Slides

Quiroule, I checked out the slides on our 291, everything looks OK

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Quiroule

Good for you.

Have fun

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 09-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
JRTJH

The outside is square, the inside is not.

I don’t understand how you would go about it using a cargo strap. If I could tie it from top left to bottom right, then I could use a strap. But I can’t, there is no way to tie it.

I probably don’t get it, so light my light.

Thanks
This may not work on your slide, but does on mine. Construction may not be the same, so you may need to adapt slightly to get it to work for you. Move your slide so it is halfway in and half way out, That way only the bottom is supported and the top and end walls are free and able to move easily.

Remove the inside facia from both sides and from the top. Attach a cargo strap (2" with ratchet to tighten not a 1" light duty tie down strap) to the corners that measured the longest of the two diagonal lengths. Then start tightening the strap to pull the diagonal together. Go slow, measure as you go, if the measurement was 1" longer, you only need to pull the diagonal 1/2" to be equal because the shorter measurement will become longer as you square the slide.

Once you have it squared, remove the strap, remeasure to make sure it is now square and then reattach the fascia.

Good luck !

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote