Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Flattrack

Fiberglass front cap weakness

I was just waxing my 2009 Laredo 265RL with about 2400 miles on it and found spider cracks along both upper seams where the rubber top meets the fiberglass cap and at the bottom where it meets the sideing. I also leaned into the front cap with my hand and had it give way too much for comfort. What's up with this? Two years ago the counter top around the kitchen sink, and stove shattered, and of course "Keystone" would not cover there sub-supplier's screw-up! I had to put an extra power switch for the intertainment system because you could not shut the light off on the front of the unit. I have been a professional commercial driver for over 45 years so rough handling can be ruled out. When are these manufacturers going to wise up to the fact they cannot continue to push this garbage out onto the road and expect us to continue buying it!!
Flattrack
Flattrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, now to respond to your complaint:

METHINKS that as long as people buy the current quality of product, the manufacturers make a profit and they are happy. But, when the manufacturers quit making a profit, they will reorganize and try to figure out why. That's what happened with the "big 3" in the 70's. Japan was outproducing American vehicles in quality and people stopped buying a new car every year (because they looked different) and started realizing that "somebody" could build a car that didn't have to spend the majority of it's first year in the service department. After suffering significant profit losses in those years, the "big 3" got the message. Now their products rival any built anywhere in the world.

Will it happen with RV manufacturers? Will it happen with housing contractors? Will it happen with Boat builders? Not until their profits are in jeapordy.

I don't have the "right answer" but the "simple answer" would be, if you don't like what you've got, don't replace it with a product from that manufacturer. Of course, whatever you do buy will probably have the same construction techniques and same parts supplier, so you're probably going to buy the "same RV" with a different manufacturer's name on it......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Flattrack

All you want is a "Keystone or Thor industries" bean-counter in your bare hand's to do to them as they have done to you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have an unrelated question. Is the thickness of my side wall above my stove around two inch's? I am in the process of installing the exhaust fan, exterior exhaust door that "Keystone" felt we no longer needed! I am waiting for the exhaust door to be delivered and had hoped to get a head start on the project but cannot find any information on the thickness of the supposed Cold package. It looks as if it is around two inches,going by the wall around the casing at the rear door. Thank you for the time and patience of my rantings as this is my second "Keystone wonder".
My own fault Ken

2005 Montana BigSky 34RK My first mistake!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
therink

Sorry to hear about your problems. Unfortunately, this is a good place to rant. I have had just a few problems with my fiver, mostly when new. I had a structural issue with front bedroom upper walls not secured properly to frame causing some flex issues. I had that fixed and no other problems other than loose trim here and there (to be expected, which I fixed myself).
I also dont have a range Hood outside vent. I realized this on my first trip out when new. I was appalled as the other three rvs I've owned had them. I don't cook inside anyway, but it still would be nice to have. The exterior walls are no more than 2". The easiest place to check is at one of the basement or outside storage door openings, less the trim lips.
Is your front cap molded fiberglass type or the filon over luan type? If filon, then it will be soft in places. Not any different than the rear wall on my fiver. If yours is molded one piece fiberglass with soft areas, I would be concerned.
How bad are the spider cracks?
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Flattrack

The front cap is, I believe a fiberglass product. The spider cracks are about the same three quarter of an inch, and radiate out from the upper corners of the attachments at the side walls. There are two "soft" spots, one at the upper center(where most of the wind pressure slips up and over the unit),and the other is a good sized bird strike that I forgot about driving through Oregon on I-5. Pheasants are some times like magnets (like dodge ball) striking when you least expect it! The bird strike spot you have to hunt for,so for now it's not the end of the world. The two inch depth is about what I came up with, and of course the exterior vent I ordered and received today is the wrong color.(My fault again!) I guess I was expecting a little more since I thought the BigSky that I had owned before had around three inches of depth. The unit is designed for a half ton truck so I am guessing the materials are pretty light duty! I pull it with a 2009 Dodge 2500 four door eight foot bed,cummings with a six speed auto and tall gears (14-17 mpg). I had a new 2004 Ford three fifty diesel that the BigSky pulled the guts right out of. You try and do your home work, and research when buying new equipment and are decimated by manufacturer's short cuts! Well I hope you have a better day than this started out for me, and can only get better right. Ken
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
therink

I also have a couple 2" spider cracks on the upper corner of my front cap. They have been there since my PDI when I took delivery new. They were noted by the dealer in case they got worse. Needless to say, they are more superficial than anything and have not grown in 3 yrs. I am not worried about them.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Outbackmel

Fiberglass spider cracks

Had 6 boats, all fiberglass, 4 of 6 had spider cracks. Never fixed any and never concerned me. My experience is all I have to go on. They did not get worse as you might expect with glass. Annoying to "know they are there". Some things you live with until you can't then you change it. (fix, sell or trade)
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Flattrack

Amen. Hope to see you out and about some day. "Keep the greasy side where it belongs". Ken