Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Branky

Lousy Radio Reception.

Hi All,
Our Rockford Fosgate radio in our 2012 Couger 297RKS suffers from lousy radio reception.
After readling all the threads on this forum, I pulled the radio and straightened the antenna out and ran it up the void between the wall. That improved the reception significantly. Thank you to everyone that posted those hints.

However, when we are plugged in the AC noise is astounding! Not just a 60 Hz hum, but static and general crap. I re-routed the antenna away from the TV AC lines and while it helped a little bit, it is still un-listenable.
I am suspecting the Converter is putting crap on the 12V line. I will be trying running a direct line to the batteries to prove or disprove that. I may also try a 50,000 or 60,000 microfarad cap on the supply lines.

Has anybody else had issues like this? I have a portable XM radio I can wire in, but the DW and I like some of the local stations.
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Branky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
sandy43

I'm assuming your RKS is a rear kitchen, meaning the radio is relatively close to the convertor. Had a similar problem years ago with my first RV, a rear kitchen Hitchhiker and the radio was within 4' from the convertor. I took the radio out, placed it as far from the convertor as I could and bingo, it worked fine. Just a suggestion, you might try it.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Ayotte

We are having the same problem in a cougar 26sab. Not bad after extending the aerial wires but when pluged into 110 very noisy. Wondering if a outside aerial would help?
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The way radio systems are now installed, moving it from one location to another can be pretty tough to do without some significant modifications. Another "trial" you might consider is to shield the radio chassis from RF interference created by the converter. Take the radio out, use aluminum foil and build a "box" inside the opening. Don't just put foil around the radio and stuff it back in, you might cause a short in your electrical system. Rather, tape the foil to the walls inside the opening, keeping it away from where the radio is physically located. If possible, try to keep at least a 1" to 2" space between the foil and anything electrical. This may help reduce some of the interference and, even if it doesn't, you've only lost a few minutes of time. Who knows, it might work for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
campingcpl

You could try installing noise filters to the power wires and to the antenna conections. You can usually get them at your local car stereo stores or automotive stores. I've used them in car stereo installations and they do a pretty good job.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Branky

Hi
It is a rear kitchen and the converter is at the back of the 5th. The radio is up front about as far awau from the converter as it can get.
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Branky

I really think it is the converter not supplying "Clean" power, but a "Dirty, sawtooth" power.
As soon as I can get as scope on the power line, I will confirm my theory. if it is crappy power, then the Filters are next, maybe 50,000micro farad cap.
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
bartletts

Just shut the breaker off to the converter and see if the noise changes or goes away- run the radio off the battery. An automotive type rf choke for the power lines should help.
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Branky

Well I bought and installed a noise suppresor and it helped a lot. I was reasonbly pleased until I started to put the radio back in the cabinet. the audio just disappeared. When I pulled the radio out, the audio came back. After a lot of holding this that way etc., I discovered if the antenna connector is held just so, good reception. Let it go, really poor reception.
So it's time to contact the dealer before the factory warranty runs out.
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
AlanF

Lousy Radio Reception

Have a 2013 Cougar 327RESWE with Rockford Fosgate RFX8500 radio. Have not been able to find any evidence of a radio antenna. Is it embedded in the area behind the radio?
AlanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

AlanF -
If there isn't an antenna on the roof, it is probably a coil of "antenna wire" which will most likely be found in the compartment behind the radio. It is just a coil of wire lying amongst all the other wires from the radio/stereo.
To improve reception, try taking this wire, stringing and attaching to the walls of the cabinet. This might help but you can always try installing a new one on the roof or the side of the RV.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
brucem26

Booster?

I was in Wal-Mart and saw an RCA Antenna power booster. $15
It just installs in-line between the radio or TV and the passive antenna. Then plugs into 110V

Anyone tried this? Make any difference?

2104 Montana High Country 318RE
2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
brucem26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucem26 View Post
I was in Wal-Mart and saw an RCA Antenna power booster. $15
It just installs in-line between the radio or TV and the passive antenna. Then plugs into 110V

Anyone tried this? Make any difference?
I would "steer away" from anything that requires 110 VAC to operate. In most RV's there's a limited amount of 110VAC outlets and usually none where you "really need them." To install an antenna booster for the 12VDC stereo that uses AC power will likely limit your ability to use the stereo with any reliability unless you're hooked up to campground power.

I'd look at uncoiling the existing antenna and if that doesn't work, then install an outside FM antenna similar to those found on almost all automobiles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Sherwood

I also had bad radio reception until I pulled my radio and installed a coax splitter and added my radio antenna to the camper t.v. antenna. Works great! I did it at home also and get great reception there too.
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
Ayotte

Went and bought a $12.00 external am-fm aerial. Installed it on the side of the camper. Radio works great now. Why would Keystone not install an external aerial on all their campers? All other makes have external and same sterio system. Would probally cost them very little to do this. Would definitely make owners much happier!!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
Yosemitebob

It's economics 101 - lets say the antenna costs them $2.00 each, lets say they make 100,000 trailers a year, $200,000 dollars that will cost them. Hmmm, but they just got you to buy it and it didn't cost them a thing. Don't get me wrong, but they do big studies on how to make money.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #17
n4qpcham

Antenna Mod When No Outside Antenna

My 2014 HC318RE had the same dipole antenna rolled up behind the radio. I took a very small drill bit and drilled a hole thru the back wall behind the radio. I check and doubled checked to make sure it came out behind the ladder. Use that silicon sealer liberally! I put a ring terminal on the end of the wire and connected it to one of the screws on the ladder. Presto! Instant antenna! The ladder is aluminum and becomes a huge antenna. The other side of the dipole is just stretched out as best you can behind the radio. I got the idea from customized vans back in the 70's. Back then, the luggage rack was cut in half and a plastic spacer put into the cut. Each leg of a 300-75 ohm antenna transformer was screwed to one side of the spacer, making the luggage rack an instant dipole TV antenna, as are all TV antennas. Worked OK until the wing antennas hit the market with better reception.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #18
Ayotte

I am sure it they installed outside aerials and charged $40.00 extra for each camper they would have a lot more owners (with a radio that work) a lot happier!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
I am sure it they installed outside aerials and charged $40.00 extra for each camper they would have a lot more owners (with a radio that work) a lot happier!!!!!!
I'd think that for every buyer who wanted a radio antenna for $40, there are at least the same number who would consider buying a Jayco that's $40 cheaper and doesn't have an antenna. Or, they would rather have the $40 to buy their own TP holder and towel racks.

I'm satisfied with the radio reception as it is and would prefer that they install a "wet bolt kit" on the suspension with that $40. So, my question to you is: Should Keystone increase the price by $80 to keep us both happy or should they just build the trailers as "cheaply" as they can and let us modify them to fit our special needs?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
Yosemitebob

I'l take a stab at that, for me, I really like working on my trailer. Why just today I changed out the ceiling lights for LED's went down from 11.6v before with the others, to 12.5v with the LED's both starting at 12.7v. That's it lets add that to the list too, wait these lights were way more than $40.00 for 18 LED's in each light for three ceiling lights, I found them for 15.99 each .

I really enjoy working on my trailer.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote