Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
rjsurfer

I'm about to pull the trigger on disc brakes.

After returning from our second cross country trip I'm fed up with our drum brakes on our 08 Cougar.

I have cleaned the linings and adjusted them numerous times but even with my P3 brake controller they are just plain crap. I am ALWAYS adjusting the gain on the controller when changing speeds to keep the brakes working efficiently to keep them from locking them or squealing.

I have also found that the front disc calipers have been taking a beating on my 03 Dodge 2500 because of them and I always felt that year had terrible brakes anyway.

So I'm thinking about making the change to Kodiak disc brakes, should cost around $1,600 or so for everything.

Anyone else contemplating that or have actually made the swap?

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Jim W

It might be your brake controller that is the real issue with your brake problem. Several members on "Turbo Diesel Register" claim that the best brake controller on the market is a unit that is called "Max Brake". Here is a link to their web site.
http://www.maxbrake.com/

I have attached a thread to one of the discussion on "TDR" website on brake controllers.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ntrollers.html

I have even read were one former commercial hauler for RV's did not like disc brakes on RV's. He claims that there is a pressure delay in the brake actuation which makes sense to me compared to the drum brakes on RV's, for response time in braking of the RV. The truck will be braking first and then do to the delay in actuation pressure of the "Hydraulic" disc brakes the trailer will finally start to brake.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
rjsurfer

Jim,

I have read about the Maxbrake system makes a lot of sense, I just might swap out my P-2 if I go the disk brake route.

I have done mucho research on the Kodiak system and yes, every once and awhile you will hear someone mention that they feel a slight delay but 99% never feel any delay. And the few that may experience it could be seeing a problem in their brake controller or have installation problems.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Johnnyfry

Brake controller

I have been using a Hensley Tru-Control gold for about 11k miles and love it.

It just works. City, mountains, panic stops. I have NEVER had to adjust it after the initial set up (which was painless).

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote