Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
Lmgsnyder

bad TV and radio antenna reception

I have a 2019 Avalanche. We have had major issues with antenna reception pretty much since we got it. fellow campers can get 40 channels on their TV and we get nothing so its not the location. We have replaced the KeyTV module. didnt help. Radio reception is bad too. Keystone wont help as we are technically out of warranty now. Very frustrating to pay so much for a camper and no TV or radio. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it? New antenna?
Lmgsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
ASCTLC

I too recently had no reception in my new-to-us 2020 Cougar. Of course I first thought "antenna issue" but backed off my frustration and thought about what I knew were the right troubleshooting steps to take.

First things first; did you disconnect the cable at both ends and reinstall or better yet, bypass that cable with another to rule that out?

I realize it seems too danged simple but if both tv and radio are affected then I wouldn't be focused on fixing the tv but focusing on the common denominator of the antenna and cable. And that cable is sufficiently less trouble and expense to rule out first even if it means pulling the antenna cover and run a sufficiently long cable straight from it through a door or window then to the radio or tv first to validate that's not where the issue is.

Mine was simply a poorly attached cable that disconnecting and reconnecting resolved. Stupid simple but i'll take it!!

Andy
Old 08-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your reception issues could be anything from a bad parking spot, or a "bad" replacement KeyTV unit to loose connections on the cable ends somewhere (or everywhere) throughout the cable routing in your RV. Most manufacturers have moved away from the old Winegard elevating antenna in favor of the 360 "low mount" rooftop units. They simply can't be "raised above the air conditioner" so any TV signal from that direction will be blocked by the air conditioner. In some parking spots, it's not a problem, in others, the neighbor may have 40 channels and your air conditioner blocks you from receiving any, most or even all of those signals. So, first look at the "geometry" of where the signal is coming from and what's on your roof between the signal and your antenna.

If location isn't affecting reception, I'd start by checking all the visible coax connectors both for tightness and for correct installation (center conductor length as well as cable shield/ground crimping). If that doesn't help, then head to the roof and check/repair/replace your antenna.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

As mentioned, yes even a dozen feet away can make a difference with digital tv signals. It's strictly line of sight so a builging, shed, stand of trees, etc. can block the signal. Second issue as stated is if your neighbor has an antenna that cranks up and totates then it's directional. You can't compare that to an omnidirectional antenna. There are several good apps avaliable for your smartphone that display tv stations direction and distance away.

What hasn't been mentioned is the tv itself. The OEM tvs provided aren't exactly top of the line. If your neighbor has a good quality tv and yours in OEM than it won't be a fair comparison. As has been suggested gat some cable and bypass the existing or get a cable tester. Key tv has some known issues and there have been many discussions on it. Pretty much all of these issues are common with radio reception as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Pull the connection boxes from the wall, or cabinet, (where every they are located), and make sure the coax cables are cleanly installed. What that means is, when they attached the end on the cable, all the little frayed wires sticking out were cleanly trimmed off. If those little strands of wire touch anything, you won't get reception at all. Check the backs of the connections and see if it was a sloppy install with the wires. I had 2 travel trailers that had that same problem. Once I trimmed all the fine hairs of wire off everything and there was nothing left to touch anything else, I got great television.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
Lmgsnyder

thanks for all the replies and suggestions. have checked some of the connections will dig a little deeper. TV works fine on everything but antenna. use my fire stick with dish anywhere on my hotspot when I have cell service. because radio gets bad reception too figuring its in the wiring or antenna. wiring hard to trace. next step will probably be new antenna. have a furrion. thinking about a winegard. Upset that Keystone doesn't feel any responsibility for this problem. Didn't realize how bad it was until it was 11 months old last February and with covid couldn't get it in to service or get parts. and now they wont honor it.
Lmgsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
Sarge2

When installing new speakers I found the coax cables coming from the antenna were all loose and lying on top of each other... I tightened them all, insulated the metal from each other and gained a ton of reception... had 18 channels in the spot I was in and went to 32 of which only 4 were digitalized to the point they were not usuable.. of the 18 original, I had 11 that actually stayed on channel without digitizing/pixelating.. so loose connections are not good.... as for the cable metal ends touching, not totally sure if that would affect it but figured while I was there.. separate and insulate..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:40 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmgsnyder View Post
radio gets bad reception too figuring its in the wiring or antenna. wiring hard to trace. next step will probably be new antenna.
I've seen too many people posting that they found their antenna cables connected badly or not at all up at the antenna itself. Before buying a new antenna, make sure the one you already have is actually connected. Some of them claim not to be unmountable once they are fully assembled; they can be unmounted, but sometimes you have to get jiggy with a soda can shim.

If, for example, your power feed from the KeyTV is disconnected, you'll never get anything.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
SkiipTopp

I had a 2014 Palomino with LED lighting that interfered with the radio and TV reception, even with just one light fixture turned on. Fortunately I was able to have all the lights replaced under warranty. May not be related since your TT is a 2019, I would think by now the technology is better.
SkiipTopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #10
jasin1

If you go to a campground with cable and then forget to reset to “air” when searching channels it will of course not find any…took me two tries before I realized it this trip
Old 08-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know what brand TV you have but the Furrion that came in this one would not let you select OTA channels. Warranty would have replaced it but I bought one of my own choosing with THREE HDMI ports, dealer installed it for free.

Replacing the KeyTV module may or may not have helped anything. SM at my dealer said approx. 60% of the units they received for replacement were bad as well. They replaced mine, made sure it worked then I had them just bypass it so I don't have to deal with it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
Arnold12519

I have a 2020 Alpine. My cable and OTA options worked great until I got to my current location. The OTA channels work great but the cable channels are fuzzy. I pulled a cable directly from the cable source to my TV. The picture was great. When hooked to the KeyTV box, both TV cable pictures are terrible. I am so fed up with this RV. I bought a Keystone thinking it was a quality product. When I bought it, the refrigerator door was missing a gasket and it took weeks to get them to get one. The rear AC has to be turned off and back on at least once a day or it won’t work. The Lippert leveling system went “crazy” about a month ago and cost me $2100+ to repair. Still waiting on Keystone to decide if they are going to reimburse me. The leveling system is still not working right. This time I have issues with my hydraulic slides (in addition to the cable signal issue). The pump will only run 2-3 seconds before it shuts off. I hope that I can get them back in so I can leave. Several more small issues that I won’t trouble you with… I bought it new in March and have not had a trouble free trip. BTW, the dealer won’t even return my calls. I’m through bitching, but I needed to vent! I wish I had my Forest River back!
Arnold12519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
lewy64

Id go with loose connections inside the walls. I have completely bypassed the keytv crap and have no problems. I dont however use the antenna for over the air or radio. I use dish on 2 tvs, one in living room and bedroom. I dont use their wall mounted switch either.
lewy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #14
Arnold12519

Thanks. I have a pay as you go dish as well but only use it when I suspect the park will have poor or no cable tv.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #15
Rwake901

Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmgsnyder View Post
I have a 2019 Avalanche. We have had major issues with antenna reception pretty much since we got it. fellow campers can get 40 channels on their TV and we get nothing so its not the location. We have replaced the KeyTV module. didnt help. Radio reception is bad too. Keystone wont help as we are technically out of warranty now. Very frustrating to pay so much for a camper and no TV or radio. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it? New antenna?
We too have a 2019 Avalanche and also couldn’t get any radio stations. I took the radio out and found Keystone didn’t install an antenna on the radio. I bought a $20.00 one on Amazon and ran the wire up behind the TV into the upper cabinet. Works great now.
As for the TV reception you do realize if you have cable tv hooked up to the Key TV that the antenna doesn’t work?
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
Arnold12519

Yes, I’m aware. Thanks!!
Old 08-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold12519 View Post
I have a 2020 Alpine. My cable and OTA options worked great until I got to my current location. The OTA channels work great but the cable channels are fuzzy. I pulled a cable directly from the cable source to my TV. The picture was great. When hooked to the KeyTV box, both TV cable pictures are terrible. I am so fed up with this RV. I bought a Keystone thinking it was a quality product. When I bought it, the refrigerator door was missing a gasket and it took weeks to get them to get one. The rear AC has to be turned off and back on at least once a day or it won’t work. The Lippert leveling system went “crazy” about a month ago and cost me $2100+ to repair. Still waiting on Keystone to decide if they are going to reimburse me. The leveling system is still not working right. This time I have issues with my hydraulic slides (in addition to the cable signal issue). The pump will only run 2-3 seconds before it shuts off. I hope that I can get them back in so I can leave. Several more small issues that I won’t trouble you with… I bought it new in March and have not had a trouble free trip. BTW, the dealer won’t even return my calls. I’m through bitching, but I needed to vent! I wish I had my Forest River back!
Go read the Forest River forum or any other rv manufacturer forum, you'll read most of the exact issues with any rv brand as you're having.
Sorry you're having so many problems, but your dealer is as responsible for them as the manufacturer. I'd be on the phone directly to Keystone about the issues with your rv & your dealer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #18
TeriADN2004

Key tv

Y'all keep referring to "Key TV" - what is that?
TeriADN2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriADN2004 View Post
Y'all keep referring to "Key TV" - what is that?
This may help
Old 08-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #20
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold12519 View Post
Your dealer is everything in RV repair. A good one will fight for you, the others won’t. Don’t let them off the hook and be consistent and polite but assertive. The others don’t want to deal with warranty work because the manufacturer doesn't pay them anywhere close to retail. If you bought your rig from this same dealer shame on them. Go up the chain of command and politely demand they fix the warranty issues. Document the issues in writing and make sure it is dated. As far as your Lippert system, call them directly as I have found their tech support very helpful. They may be able to help you fix it yourself, which will be much faster than waiting for a dealer. As far as your A/C if it’s a Dometic, they have had serious issues with their thermostats. You can call them directly as well. They ended up sending me two completely new thermostats. So far no issues but that may be temporary. Some of your issues may be able to be corrected by calling the manufacturer directly, like Lippert and Dometic or whoever made your A/C. Thats what Keystone or your dealer has to do so in the interest of time, try calling them directly. Dealers are swamped and parts are in short supply so if it has to go to the dealer for repair be prepared to wait several weeks/ months to get things fixed. My rig has been at the dealer for five weeks and just now getting warranty work approved and parts ordered. However long it takes for parts is how long I have to wait, but I knew that up front. See if you can take care of any of your issues yourself with the manufacturers, in the interest of time, if not, be prepared to wait. Hope you get some resolution.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, antenna