Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Mikelff

City water and water pump

Was wondering if you can use water pump and city water at same time. Have had a few instances where rv park had low pressure, like 38-42 psi. Water pump is 45 psi. Was wondering if i can turn on water pump for showers while still hooked up to city water with lower psi. Obviously, pump will pull from fresh water tank but will pressure back into city water hook up from the rv pump? Haven’t tried it yet but wondered if anyone has tried it and if there are any issues in doing that. Thanks for your replies.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
Javi

If you are going to use the water pump just fill th FW tank and cut the city water off.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
Mikelff

Thanks Javi. Didn’t necessarily want to use the water pump full time, just for showers for the increased water pressure. Flip on the pump and turn off when we are done. Don’t mind the lower pressure for everything else. I typically don’t travel or camp with more than 15 gallons in the fresh water tank. I will use city water when camping and fresh water pump for “on the road” use. Just would be more convenient to use the pump when needed for more pressure and not have to run outside to turn off city water, then again to turn back on. If I used pump full time I would have to drain fresh water tank before hitting the road. No point hauling all that water when I don’t need it. Thanks
Old 07-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Thanks Javi. Didn’t necessarily want to use the water pump full time, just for showers for the increased water pressure. Flip on the pump and turn off when we are done. Don’t mind the lower pressure for everything else. I typically don’t travel or camp with more than 15 gallons in the fresh water tank. I will use city water when camping and fresh water pump for “on the road” use. Just would be more convenient to use the pump when needed for more pressure and not have to run outside to turn off city water, then again to turn back on. If I used pump full time I would have to drain fresh water tank before hitting the road. No point hauling all that water when I don’t need it. Thanks
It doesn't really work that way.. there are check valves in the pump to prevent flow back.
If I really needed the extra pressure I'd just fill the tank and use it the entire time and open the drain while I packed up.. . Actually I've done just that at least a hundred times over the years.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
Mikelff

Ok. Thats why I was asking about it before I tried it. Might just use pump in low pressure city water situations. Have a new pump coming that is psi adjustable. Quieter than the OEM pump and will set it for 48psi. Keep OEM as a spare.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
travelin texans

Click image for larger version

Name:	730007002034.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	34848
If using this type of so called regulator they restrict the flow regardless of the pressure.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Attachment 34848
If using this type of so called regulator they restrict the flow regardless of the pressure.
Using a real regular with pressure gauge. I have a psi gauge a plumber friend gave me that he used to check home water pressure and if there is a low pressure situation I will double check with that gauge. I know my regulator is accurate. It is set at 48psi. I was hoping I could use the fresh pump to boost psi while still hooked up to city water for temporary situations. Guess I’ll fill the fresh tank and use the pump in low pressure city water situations.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
skids

The city water has a one way check valve to prevent backflow. I am pretty sure that there would be no flow from city water as long as the pump provides more pressure.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
The city water has a one way check valve to prevent backflow. I am pretty sure that there would be no flow from city water as long as the pump provides more pressure.
Go try it, report back
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump