Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Pete76

AC motor or capacitors?

Hope everyone is staying cool, I have a keystone Laredo and our AC came to a halt, literally. It quit while running. I am very familiar with most thing,being a auto tech my whole life so I have a strong a
Mechanical aptitude. That being said this is a bit different. I took the motor out, looked at the capacitors, they are very d, mud dobbed nest,etc.....I get a hum when I turn it on, I got Upton and spun it, it started, ran, then stopped. I broke some blower fan blades trying to do it from inside like a dummy, very brittle. I called it over for the motor. Then I learned by reading the service manual for Fasco all about this motor, kinda....I know about the thermal protection etc,....after it cooled off I took the motor out, but it spins freely,when it is connectedi t is almost hard to spin, spins fee when off, easy. I have never oiled the motor, but spins freely when Applied EMF....any ideas of anything else it could be? I'm saying if not 1 but all 3 capacitors are bad, start and run? Thank in advance.
Pete76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete76 View Post
Hope everyone is staying cool, I have a keystone Laredo and our AC came to a halt, literally. It quit while running. I am very familiar with most thing,being a auto tech my whole life so I have a strong a
Mechanical aptitude. That being said this is a bit different. I took the motor out, looked at the capacitors, they are very d, mud dobbed nest,etc.....I get a hum when I turn it on, I got Upton and spun it, it started, ran, then stopped. I broke some blower fan blades trying to do it from inside like a dummy, very brittle. I called it over for the motor. Then I learned by reading the service manual for Fasco all about this motor, kinda....I know about the thermal protection etc,....after it cooled off I took the motor out, but it spins freely,when it is connectedi t is almost hard to spin, spins fee when off, easy. I have never oiled the motor, but spins freely when Applied EMF....any ideas of anything else it could be? I'm saying if not 1 but all 3 capacitors are bad, start and run? Thank in advance.
It's very likely that the start capacitor has died, especially if the motor spins freely when no power AND the fact that you got it to run when you applied power and spun it up by hand. I don't know if, on yours, there are two separate capacitors or just one combo capacitor. I would start by replacing the start cap if it's separate....or if it is a combo unit, replace that. Make sure that you get the correct value for the replacement capacitor, for both the start cap value AND the run cap value. Hope this helps.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. The post is a bit difficult to follow but I think I get the jest. First question, how old is the trailer? Second how did it fail? Was it running and just stopped or did it not start, or you weren't there so you don’t know? Does the compressor still run? If you weren't there then how long was the a/c unit running with no one present? If the compressor runs without the fan running it will do damage to or ruin the compressor.

The fan motor could be failing for various reasons. A failed start capacitor if left unattended will cause the start windings to burn out. Typically with a small fractional hp motor if it's just the capacitor you can get it to run if you spin the shaft. But, I've seen small sleeve bearing motors that spin freeley when not energized but the bearings are so worn that when energized the rotor will hit the stator and bind up.

I would do a thurough test on the compressor first. If it's damaged it's game over. They are not servicable. You must replace the entire a/c unit. If it checks ok then check the fan motor windings and if there's an issue replace it. If the windings are ok then check the motor shaft for excessive play. Any movement up and down or side to side indicates worn bearing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum. The post is a bit difficult to follow but I think I get the jest.
"A bit difficult to follow"? You jest!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote