Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Salty25

Solar confusion

I got a 24RDS and it came with a solar panel and inverter installed.

During the walk around I was told the solar panel will keep the battery charged so I don't have to worry about plugging in a trickle charger. He also showed me how to turn it on and get 110v to three plugs inside if needed; for a short period of time.

I didn't think to ask during the walk around; but when would I use the battery disconnect switch? I actually see it has two inside the storage area. The battery is in the front storage, with the spare tire. Both of the switches are in the main under storage by the wet bay.

Thanks for any help.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty25 View Post
I got a 24RDS and it came with a solar panel and inverter installed.

During the walk around I was told the solar panel will keep the battery charged so I don't have to worry about plugging in a trickle charger. He also showed me how to turn it on and get 110v to three plugs inside if needed; for a short period of time.

I didn't think to ask during the walk around; but when would I use the battery disconnect switch? I actually see it has two inside the storage area. The battery is in the front storage, with the spare tire. Both of the switches are in the main under storage by the wet bay.

Thanks for any help.
I don’t use my main rv battery disconnect switch because my rig stays plugged in at home.
The battery disconnect can be shut off during storage although I believe some things like smoke detectors and co detectors as well as iN·Command still draw before the switch.
Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it’s mainly as a safety feature to be able to shut off power in the event of a short circuit or some other 12 volt power related problem.
The reason you have two is probably because one is just a shutoff for your inverter in case of a problem with that or if you just want to isolate it because it does draw power even when the inverter power button is off.
As far as shutting off the solar,I’d imagine there is a disconnect for you solar charge controller as well,separate from the inverter shutoff.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
fjr vfr

Warning, If you disconnect the battery from the charge controller make very sure to disconnect the solar panel first. The charge controller needs to sinc to the battery voltage before it sees current from the solar panel.

Now here is the link you need for your solar resource :
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about solar from that link.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:49 AM   #4
LHaven

The only reason I ever use the battery disconnect switch is for when I leave the rig at the dealer for work -- because they will keep it weeks beyond what they promised, and they don't plug it in, so by the time I get the rig back, the propane detector and radio clock have destroyed the battery.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #5
fjr vfr

OP more info is needed what type battery do you have is it agm flooded acid or lithium? Typically if you have solar it will keep the battery charged even in the shop The lighting will produce enough wattage to keep it charged But we really don’t know enough
Pictures would help
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
Salty25

Sorry everyone; had a rough couple days at work and haven't been on.

I know there is a drain on the batteries with the disconnect switch; learned that the first year with my first TT. I should have said to disconnect the battery terminal. I started actually taking my batteries out during winter storage and bring them into the garage and cycle them on and off a trickle charger. I had four batteries that I would cycle onto the trickle charger, one week on and three off, during the winter months.

fjr_vfr; I don't know what type of batteries they are. I doubt if the dealer would install lithium without an upcharge for them. But then I was surprised they had the solar panel already installed, but I'm sure there was an upcharge for it as well. I'll check out that link and see what I can learn about the panel, invertor and battery setup.

Thanks.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 07-10-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
GHen

Solar will keep the batteries charged if you don’t have anything turned on. With that said, I still fully disconnect the batteries during the winter. If I get snow on the panels for more than a week the batteries will be dead and damaged.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:17 AM   #8
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Warning, If you disconnect the battery from the charge controller make very sure to disconnect the solar panel first. The charge controller needs to sinc to the battery voltage before it sees current from the solar panel.

Now here is the link you need for your solar resource :
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about solar from that link.
Interesting link. I have been debating about installing a heavy duty disconnect switch on the ground side going to my solar panels. What I understood if I brake the battery connection the charger will have a voyage spike and the switch could prevent a fire . I have only 1 hot 200 amp fuse coming from the inverter to the battery using 2/0 cable . The other cables are number 4 including the cables to the solar panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	34633  
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #9
bbells

Most rv batteries are setup to charge via the solar when the disconnect switch inside is turned off. Many of the trailers that come with solar come with a 50w panel. This is not enough to trickle charge the batteries with the battery disconnect on, this same with all the parasitic drains. Solar panels only get charge about five hours a day. Flat on the roof you get 30% to 40% less output. This means your panels only pump about 2amps into your battery for about five hours a day. The parasitic drains are more than that. Add clouds or ice or shadows and it drops even more.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #10
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Interesting link. I have been debating about installing a heavy duty disconnect switch on the ground side going to my solar panels. What I understood if I brake the battery connection the charger will have a voyage spike and the switch could prevent a fire . I have only 1 hot 200 amp fuse coming from the inverter to the battery using 2/0 cable . The other cables are number 4 including the cables to the solar panels.
That was one of the things I was concerned about with the solar panels. If I disconnect the battery what happens? The solar panel keeps producing power as long as it has sun.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 07-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
Most rv batteries are setup to charge via the solar when the disconnect switch inside is turned off. Many of the trailers that come with solar come with a 50w panel. This is not enough to trickle charge the batteries with the battery disconnect on, this same with all the parasitic drains. Solar panels only get charge about five hours a day. Flat on the roof you get 30% to 40% less output. This means your panels only pump about 2amps into your battery for about five hours a day. The parasitic drains are more than that. Add clouds or ice or shadows and it drops even more.
I've had this setup now for almost a month. The only time it was plugged in was 24 hrs before a short trip and the two days I was camping with it.

The battery is still showing full charge at 13.7, according to the in-command system.

When I got it I was told they don't recommend using a cover with the new roof. I had a cover on my TT that I would put on during the winter.

Maybe I should get something the blocks the light and put on the solar panel when I want to remove the battery for storage.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 07-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty25 View Post
That was one of the things I was concerned about with the solar panels. If I disconnect the battery what happens? The solar panel keeps producing power as long as it has sun.
Yes, the panel keeps creating voltage even if disconnected. It won't start a fire. You can short out the panel wires and have no ill effects. Some people cover the panels to turn them off. The only time you need to make sure you connect the battery before the panel is when you have a controller that is multi-voltage, not permanently set at 12v.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #13
Tom & Glo

When I got it I was told they don't recommend using a cover with the new roof. I had a cover on my TT that I would put on during the winter.

I have the same rig, they never mentioned anything about not using a cover and I went through 2 familiarizing sessions (long story) .
So what’s so different about the roofs I am wondering. I am about ready to order a cover if a covered storage location doesn’t get freed up shortly.

Tags
solar