Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Stacyismetoo

Battery shut off

Hello, I wanted to turn off the 12V battery power to the trailer so that it will stop draining the battery. It’s a small black box attached to the front of the trailer with a red dial that turns (not a key). When I turned it from power on to power off, the trailer still has power and things on the 12V system still work. What am I missing? Any ideas? The owners manual says nothing…that I found anyways.
My old trailer, you just turn it off and it was off…so that’s why I’m confused.

Update! This box is Keystones new “Giggy Box” and they have a video on their website to explain how it works. I removed the cover and found I do indeed have the battery disconnect component which is an “optional” feature for this box. I will reach out to Keystone to see if I have a malfunctioning disconnect or the dial is not working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32B189E1-57CB-434E-A5B2-2602792C6C67.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	34444  
RV’er since 2000!
Stacyismetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:15 AM   #2
RMCN

I had the same issue with mine. I ended up installing a battery shut off switch I picked up at Academy. Wish I had an answer for you as to why it’s not shutting the power off.
RMCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:23 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Federal law requires that the LP detector works all the time when any RV leaves the factory. You may have additional draws for radio memory, lighted USB ports, etc.

Adding a disconnect at the battery is the only way to totally turn off the battery(s). Factory uses positive lead, we install on the positive side, others will say the negative side. I don’t think it matters in the RV world.

Does everything 12V still work? If so the switch may have failed or it may be wired incorrectly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:57 AM   #4
Stacyismetoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Federal law requires that the LP detector works all the time when any RV leaves the factory. You may have additional draws for radio memory, lighted USB ports, etc.

Adding a disconnect at the battery is the only way to totally turn off the battery(s). Factory uses positive lead, we install on the positive side, others will say the negative side. I don’t think it matters in the RV world.

Does everything 12V still work? If so the switch may have failed or it may be wired incorrectly.
Yes all the light switches still turned on the lights, the air conditioning thermostat was still showing on and active
RV’er since 2000!
Old 07-03-2021, 05:30 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I would be looking at the factory switch, there is a problem with it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
BigBobIa

Shore power off?
Old 07-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
Stacyismetoo

Quote:
I would be looking at the factory switch, there is a problem with it.
Thanks so much, I have a mobile RV repair person in our area, I’ll have him take a look at it…I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something before I had someone come out.
RV’er since 2000!
Old 07-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyismetoo View Post
Thanks so much, I have a mobile RV repair person in our area, I’ll have him take a look at it…I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something before I had someone come out.
I would contact Keystone and see if it’s covered under warranty.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #9
Stacyismetoo

Quote:
I would contact Keystone and see if it’s covered under warranty.
I will reach out to them Tuesday. Thanks!
On the same subject regarding the battery, what’s your take on reducers? When I had a 30amp service TT, I had no problem running a 30 to 15 reducer then running an extension cord to my outlet to keep my battery charged and power the fridge before trips... Now my new TT is 50amp so I purchased a 50 to 15 and a new 50ft, 10 gauge extension cord. I did it this way so I wouldn’t have to pull out that big heavy power cord. But now I’m hesitant to plug in. What’s your thoughts?
Both the reducer and the cord are UL listed, reducer will plug directly into the twist and lock power on the side of the trailer.
RV’er since 2000!
Old 07-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyismetoo View Post
I will reach out to them Tuesday. Thanks!
On the same subject regarding the battery, what’s your take on reducers? When I had a 30amp service TT, I had no problem running a 30 to 15 reducer then running an extension cord to my outlet to keep my battery charged and power the fridge before trips... Now my new TT is 50amp so I purchased a 50 to 15 and a new 50ft, 10 gauge extension cord. I did it this way so I wouldn’t have to pull out that big heavy power cord. But now I’m hesitant to plug in. What’s your thoughts?
Both the reducer and the cord are UL listed, reducer will plug directly into the twist and lock power on the side of the trailer.
I use a 50 to 15 at work all the time as long as I’m not trying to work on the AC.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #11
Stacyismetoo

Quote:
I use a 50 to 15 at work all the time as long as I’m not trying to work on the AC.
Thanks again! You’ve been the best help I’ve seen on this forum, not just myself but I’ve seen your comments on others issues as well. I plugged in this morning, first flipping off the breaker to the TT since I can’t do that to the outlet I’m plugged into. Had my husband watch at the house panel and I watched everything else outside once flipping back on the breaker…and all is good so far. Just needed the confidence to try it. Now my battery is charging. I’ll only keep it plugged in for a few hours as it’s supposed to get 104 today and I don’t want to over heat anything
RV’er since 2000!

Tags
battery