Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #21
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvnMabel View Post
We go 5+ days on battery power on a regular basis out here in the wild west. And they are 12v. Have pushed it to 10 days on many occasions.

The OP had a simple Marine/Starter battery, provided by the RV dealer. Is that what you have? Otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Do you have one Marine/Starter (combo) battery and no facility to charge and you can run 5+ days?

What battery operated devices to you *not* use?
  • Water pump?
  • Water heater?
  • Fridge?
  • Furnace?
  • Lights?
  • Radio/TV?
Old 06-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #22
chunker

Simple fact, an experienced RV'er can boon dock much longer than a first timer with family even with the same minimal equipment. But that said, having the right equipment will make a difference big time. The OP was taking off 5 days ago on a "3 day cruise" so they should be back and hopefully will come back and let us know how it went.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #23
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Simple fact, an experienced RV'er can boon dock much longer than a first timer with family even with the same minimal equipment. But that said, having the right equipment will make a difference big time. The OP was taking off 5 days ago on a "3 day cruise" so they should be back and hopefully will come back and let us know how it went.
Shades of Gilligan's Island.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #24
WDPatterson

I would have recommended that you use a connected trip on your first try. It's always a good idea to have plenty of backup as you learn how everything works.
Furthermore, this time of year, things are going to be a little bit hot. Air conditioning will not work on your 12 volt batteries/battery.
I appreciate your situation, that you want to "rough it" a little bit. However, it's always wiser to err in the side of caution.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:52 AM   #25
alesure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Back from our maiden trip and everything went great! Battery stayed more than half full after 3 days. We are used to tent camping, so using minimal resources from the camper was not a huge inconvenience. We only used lights when going to bed, only had water pump on when cleaning dishes, didn't use the radio (until the last night when I knew our charge levels were sufficient), didn't use the hot water heater at all. It was a good test to know that if we added a 2nd battery, we could use all of that a bit more with little worry. I did bring jumper cables just in case. Thanks for everyone's responses, even the people who got me freaked out that my battery was a POS and wouldn't last a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3478[1].jpg
Views:	70
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	34325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3479[1].jpg
Views:	77
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	34326  
alesure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #26
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesure View Post
Back from our maiden trip and everything went great! Battery stayed more than half full after 3 days. We are used to tent camping, so using minimal resources from the camper was not a huge inconvenience. We only used lights when going to bed, only had water pump on when cleaning dishes, didn't use the radio (until the last night when I knew our charge levels were sufficient), didn't use the hot water heater at all. It was a good test to know that if we added a 2nd battery, we could use all of that a bit more with little worry. I did bring jumper cables just in case. Thanks for everyone's responses, even the people who got me freaked out that my battery was a POS and wouldn't last a day.
That is absolutely spectacular!!!... Glad you guys had a great time!!... Now that you've had your Shakedown Cruise, you do know how everything works. And, you know your limitations and your assets. Happy Camping in the future!!
Old 06-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #27
KJJ

I had the dealer put dual 6V batteries in mine when I bought it 5 years ago (Interstate Deep Cycle Extreme 232AH #GC2-XHD-UTL), and I switched over all the interior lights to LEDs, including the outside door light. 3 days dry camping was doable, also running the TV via a small inverter. My TT sits in the driveway plugged into 120V when not in use, and the batteries are still OK.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #28
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJ View Post
My TT sits in the driveway plugged into 120V when not in use, and the batteries are still OK.
Mine does too. It never consumes water which is amazing. I like the converter in my camper.

Tags
newbie, water, water pump