Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
madisonjon

Tire/axle question

Today when I backed up my 2012 Springdale 294BHSSR into my driveway, which has a slight incline, I noticed that the driver’s side front tire was bent in. I didn’t see that when it was parked at a level campsite. My wife noticed it the first day we brought it home, but once I got it parked at home it seemed to be even. Any thoughts would be appreciated, this is my first dual axle trailer.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C484C34D-5349-4B9D-B251-0E0A5C180BF1.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	33595  
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
markcee

I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in, but I believe I've read that this is a common look with a tandem axle when jockeying the trailer. If you pull ahead a few feet it should straighten itself out. Of course that is not to say it is not indicative of an actual issue. Interested to see the responses.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Getn off

Normal while suspension is loaded. You should see my triples!
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjon View Post
Today when I backed up my 2012 Springdale 294BHSSR into my driveway, which has a slight incline, I noticed that the driver’s side front tire was bent in. I didn’t see that when it was parked at a level campsite. My wife noticed it the first day we brought it home, but once I got it parked at home it seemed to be even. Any thoughts would be appreciated, this is my first dual axle trailer.

Thanks!

IMO I think the key is you were turning before you backed into the driveway so that puts side loading into the trailer suspension. I bet if you pulled straight ahead 10' The straight back 10' the tires would be in align.

Let us kknow what you lern.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

That's a natural occurance if you are backing in at a sharp angle then stop. Sometimes if you continue with that arc the tires will begin to "scuff" or drag sideways because the radius of the turn is too sharp for them to track straight. As has been previously stated. pull forward a couple of feel and then back in straight. I don't like leaving it in that orientation myself.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

Like others have said, typical with wide-stance dual axles. The other thing I see is that because of the driveway incline, the rear axle looks like it is taking more of the load and the front axle is “relaxed”. Looking at it on a flat level surface will tell the tale.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
Weldon

I thought the same thing while we were camping last year but I don't think it's indicative of an issue. Good job being alert, but you're TT is likely fine. Check it again in a long flat parking lot. I think youll see they are straight.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
GHen

I agree with the comments above, I see normal twist.

That said, if it looks like this when pulling straight and level, you could have a bent axel which is also fairly common. Normally the rear axel can bend especially when the rv is close to max axel weight. This could be due to lots of very sharp turns on a hard surface. At my old home I had to back in at about 80 degrees to get it where I wanted it. I threw down some sand to give it a little slip.
The manufacturers are choosing the lightest axel possible to reduce costs.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
madisonjon

Thanks for the info!. It’s parked on the side of the house, so it does require some turning into the driveway and then to the side of the house. The first time I parked it there, I had to pull forward a few times before I was able to park it. This time I was able to back it up without any corrections, but as I’ve learned this caused some twist on the axle. On a happy note, our shakedown trip overall went well. I had a little trouble with the heat on the furnace not always turning on, but everything else worked well.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

From my experiences it's not the axel twisting but rather the tire flexing on the rim. It cn look like the rim is bending but it's the tire rolling under the rim that makes it look thay way.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle