Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #1
ChuckS

Replacing leaking JIC37 fitting on OEM Lippert Hyd line with Gates reusable fitting

This Gates reusable fitting may be the answer to your leaking JIC37 swaged fitting.. After replacing two OEM Orange Extend Lippert hyd lines in the last 3 weeks decided to give this Gates fitting a try..

The fitting is easy to install and I have a test line installed on one of my Front Hyd LG legs... It was a short line so easy to remove the OEM line and install this for evaluation purposes... No leaks after 10 cycles of the LG...

It would have been much easier to use this fitting and less expensive to replace by using one of these Gates fittings.. I had to remove a 28 foot long extend line that ran from manifold to one of my man hyd slide out cylinders.. snaking the new line up thru the frame bulkheads even with some of the coroplast removed was a pain

I cold have fixed this issue in under 15 minutes had I used one of these Gates fittings.. I was skeptical about the fitting so I went old school and removed the OEM line and installed new 1 wire braided line with new swaged fittings...

Anyway.. a few images of the Gates reusable JIC 37 fitting Ive temp installed on a Hyd LG leg to evaluate.....

NOTE.. the key to a successful install of this reusable fitting is a nice clean cut on the Lippert OEM hydraulic hose...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (117).png
Views:	41
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	33562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (118).png
Views:	46
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	33563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (119).png
Views:	47
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	33564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (120).png
Views:	43
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	33565  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Nice, Ill be watching for more info as the number of cycles goes up and still no leak.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Nice, Ill be watching for more info as the number of cycles goes up and still no leak.
Did another 15 cycles on leveler system this morning.. fitting is dry as expected..

The end of the fitting that stuffs up inside the OEM hose is almost two inches long and tapered. If the line is cut cleanly I don’t see an issue with leaks

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal. I can see the cost savings from having to buy a swedging set.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
This Gates reusable fitting may be the answer to your leaking JIC37 swaged fitting.. After replacing two OEM Orange Extend Lippert hyd lines in the last 3 weeks decided to give this Gates fitting a try..

The fitting is easy to install and I have a test line installed on one of my Front Hyd LG legs... It was a short line so easy to remove the OEM line and install this for evaluation purposes... No leaks after 10 cycles of the LG...

It would have been much easier to use this fitting and less expensive to replace by using one of these Gates fittings.. I had to remove a 28 foot long extend line that ran from manifold to one of my man hyd slide out cylinders.. snaking the new line up thru the frame bulkheads even with some of the coroplast removed was a pain

I cold have fixed this issue in under 15 minutes had I used one of these Gates fittings.. I was skeptical about the fitting so I went old school and removed the OEM line and installed new 1 wire braided line with new swaged fittings...

Anyway.. a few images of the Gates reusable JIC 37 fitting Ive temp installed on a Hyd LG leg to evaluate.....

NOTE.. the key to a successful install of this reusable fitting is a nice clean cut on the Lippert OEM hydraulic hose...
I have a old Case backhoe and the hydraulic lines are woven thru the extenda hoe and not easily replaced like the rest of backhoe.. I keep a few of these on hand ..they make a repair coupler as well that has come in handy
On heavy duty steel laced lines it’s imperative to make a good clean cut on the hydraulic line for it to work properly
Old 05-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Javi

Tried to tell you
I've fixed literally hundreds of hydraulic lines with those and the splices on a bunch of heavy equipment.

They work very well.

Tags
leak