Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
rhagfo

Cracked outlet on Grey Water Tank

Well just this week the toilet burped, so time to drain! I went around to the dump valves and there was water dripping out from the edges of the Corplast!

Well the water wasn't black so figured might be related to the grey tank. I dropped the first panel of the corplast that I installed before we started full timing Camp Hosting.
Once down I found that yes it was the grey water tank, the bad looks like a crack right at the outlet location. Just wondering if anyone has successfully sealed a crack like this? Can one use a soldering iron to "weld" the crack close or are there other options short of replacing the tank?

The attached pictures are of the cracked outlet and then the plumbing arrangement between the two tanks.

The grey tank is on the right side of this picture.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

In the last month, another member had a similar crack and there were a bunch of suggestions. I do know there is a "plastic welder" but have never used one. I personally would rough all around the area with 60 grit and I am guessing the tank is polyethylene. The tank may also be ABS... use google to see articles and tips on how to repair either. There are tips for plastic welding AND epoxy type stuff which can be used. I made a BIG hole in a radiator overflow container that is on the bottom of my Honda Goldwing trike and bought some two part epoxy stuff made for that type plastic and after the repair it was stronger than new.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s a big crack. I believe waste tanks are ABS, and there are epoxy patch kits made specifically for ABS tanks. I have used the kit with limited success, especially where there is corners and flexing.

I would try a repair kit, but be prepared to change out the tank. It isn’t THAT hard.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That’s a big crack. I believe waste tanks are ABS, and there are epoxy patch kits made specifically for ABS tanks. I have used the kit with limited success, especially where there is corners and flexing.

I would try a repair kit, but be prepared to change out the tank. It isn’t THAT hard.
No not that hard but the replacement is $499 at Trekwood!

I may also cut the pipe and put a rubber strain relief connector in it’s place.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Trekwood isn’t your only option.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

My concern with either "plastic welding" or with "epoxy formulated for ABS/PVC tanks" is what looks like a sealant of some kind around the connecting flange on your tank. It looks like that flange was either "plastic welded" in place or was set in place with an epoxy bead. I could easily be wrong, but it looks like there are two different materials around that flange. If so, you might have problems getting anything to "stick to both materials" in that close proximity.

Take a look at the flange and see if you can determine whether it's something that would "contaminate" a plastic weld or whether it looks like it might "hold the patch as well as the tank walls.

Otherwise, I'd think both solutions are viable. You'll have a "skill deficiency" if you use a plastic welder that you've never used before and you'll have a "set up time issue" with an epoxy if you're living in the trailer and the patch gets wet from the inside before it completely cures....

It's worth the expense (less than $50) to try both procedures and if neither is satisfactory, then start looking for a replacement tank.

I'd suggest the plastic welder first, that way, if it doesn't work, you haven't contaminated the area with different materials... If you try the epoxy first and it fails, then trying to weld over the epoxy may be impossible to do without removing every bit of that material so the PVC/ABS will stick to itself.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #7
Hblick48

My tank setup is exactly the same as the op. I also had a crack that was not nearly as bad. I tried to fix it two different times with an abs plastic repair kit. After second repair failed, new tank. I used a flexible connector when I installed new tank. About 2 years later, I had to replace black tank. At that time I properly supported both tanks with plumbers strapping covered in 3 layers of shrink tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_092309.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	33416  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack, tank, water