Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2021, 05:18 AM   #1
Old_Stevenick

Used TT. Drain and prep clean water tank?

I bought a 2018 from a dealer who did "prep" it in advance.

We've never used water before (pop-up had it but it didn't work.)

Should I drain the water that's in the tank and do anything to clean or prep the tank? Fill and drain a couple of times?
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

With no knowledge of the quality of the water in the trailer FW tank, no idea of how long that water has been in the tank, no idea if the trailer plumbing was ever sanitized or if there's "tobacco juice from a worker who couldn't find his spit can" that was deposited in the FW tank before it was installed in the trailer..... I'd strongly urge "establishing a known sanitary status" by sanitizing the entire system before using any water from that tank or from that plumbing. Even if you "drain and flush the FW tank a couple of times" you've still got 6 gallons of that "tobacco spit water" in the water heater that will still contaminate every faucet in the trailer as you turn on the hot water....

Start fresh by sanitizing the entire system before you use the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Old_Stevenick

Yeah, that sounds right.

How do I do that? Is there a how-to sanitize on the forum somewhere or on the web?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer is a 2018, and the entire "how to sanitize your water system" is in the owner's manual. If you have a copy of the manual, it's on page 58. If you don't have a copy of the manual, you can download it at the Keystone RV website that this link: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-manuals Just download the 2018 edition. Once you read through the "factory recommended process" if you have any specific questions, post them and someone will help guide you through the process, sometimes with shortcuts to make the task easier...

Additionally, the "video section" of the Keystone website has "how to videos" that can help you with sanitizing and many other maintenance/use tasks on RV ownership... https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-how-to

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
Old_Stevenick

Instructions read thank you very much. Will sanitize this weekend.

I assume to "flush until the smell is gone" means fill the tank, run the sinks, etc. AND drain from the bottom, or should all the usage be through the plumbing?
Old 05-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

After using bleach, I drain the FW tank and the water heater, fill with fresh water, run all the faucets until the bleach smell is gone, drain the water heater and water tank, fill one more time, run the faucets again (just to be sure) and drain everything one last time. Then, I close the system drains and leave it empty until I get ready to use the trailer and fill the tank and water heater the day or so before we plan to need the plumbing. When we return, I drain the water tank (but not the water heater) and fill again, before the next trip. If it's going to be more than a week or so, I also drain the water heater.

Everyone has their own "process", none more "correct" or "mandatory" than any other, except your own "comfort level" in keeping your family safe with "clean water to use".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2021, 04:58 AM   #7
Old_Stevenick

Getting set to go.

For the Bleach I have a can of powdered Ajax Bleach, can I use that or do I have to buy liquid bleach?

If so not really sure the amount to use either.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
Getting set to go.

For the Bleach I have a can of powdered Ajax Bleach, can I use that or do I have to buy liquid bleach?

Isn't that a cleanser WITH bleach? Just use liquid bleach and not the "no spill" type". It's not like it costs much.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:09 AM   #9
Old_Stevenick

Considering using this stuff from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Considering using this stuff from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That stuff is $32 a gallon and it takes 1/2 gallon to sanitize a 50 gallon fresh water tank....

Using that stuff will cost $16 to do the same thing that would cost $1 using Clorox plain bleach....

Both will work, the Clorox will leave you with enough money to buy 24 adult beverages.... your choice....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Getting set to go.

DO NOT USE AJAX POWDERED "anything" IN THE FRESH WATER SYSTEM....

As for how much bleach to use, it's all "right there on page 58 in the owner's manual".... Use 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity. Your trailer has a 43 gallon fresh water capacity (37 gallon tank + 6 gallon water heater) so you'd use 3/4 cup of bleach mixed in a couple gallons of water (diluted to protect the plastic hoses as you pour it into the trailer tank).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #12
Old_Stevenick

The only reason I consider that stuff is that it apparently from the reviews doesn't smell like chlorine and washes out of the system easier. As we won't be drinking the tap water mostly. Yes it's pricy, but is it less smelly?

Yes I saw the quantities in the owners manual for liquid bleach. My dumb question was if the Ajax was OK how much to use of it.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
Old_Stevenick

That jug will do 2-3 sanitize jobs, so $10-$15 each. If it smells better, why not?
Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
That jug will do 2-3 sanitize jobs, so $10-$15 each. If it smells better, why not?

If you don't mind spending the money sounds like it works pretty good. I've always had good luck with Star Brite products. One review said it was hard to get out due to foaming so be aware....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank, water