Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #1
Michael7S

Couch is a sleeper?

We just put a deposit on a 2014 Keystone Alpine 3495FL and hope to have a guest stay on the sleeper in the living room.

However it appears to not be a sleeper. When it unfolds it appears to need more cushions.

There is no owner's manual with this used RV. Can you help?

Is this to be used as a sleeper and if so, is there some configuration or are the parts missing? Thanks much,

-Michael
Michael7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:42 AM   #2
heikejohn

I think it's a sofa sleeper, and you need to add a mattress.
heikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:50 AM   #3
Pull Toy

If it is the typical arrangement, that looks like an air mattress. It has an air pump built in. Just plug it in to 110 volts, and inflate it until firm. When done yu reverse the air flow and deflate it.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:40 AM   #4
Vet4jdc

That's an air mattress! It's in the black bag.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
Michael7S

Thank you!

Thanks all! We had no idea and were searching all over wondering where the mattress was. This helps immensely.

-Michael
Michael7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
bobbecky

If it is an air mattress sofa/bed, the sofa is probably made by Flair Industries, no longer in business, so if there is an issue with the air mattress that can't be patched, just replace it with one from a sporting goods store or one of the home type stores. Our original mattress had a major failure early on and we got a new one through the dealer, only problem was, our sleeper was a full size and the dealer got us a queen. I finally was able to purchase the right size from Flair, and that one is still working well. I found out several years ago that Flair is no longer in business when someone on a forum asked about getting a new air mattress.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
dutchmensport

I promise you, it will be horribly uncomfortable. Even with the included air mattress, anyone sleeping on it will have metal poking their backs at every joint and it will have dips and high and low spots.

We're on our 4th camper and none we've had yet has had a comfortable sofa-bed.

In our previous camper, when my son and his little boy was with us, we just blew up the mattress and put it on the floor. It was much more comfortable than the couch.

In our current Montana High Country, we have Thomas Paine couches, facing each other in the front living room. They both fold out and the entire front of the trailer can be made into a gigantic bed. No blow up here, but it is horribly uncomfortable.

We tried mattress toppers and even a Coleman blow up 6 inch mattress for a topper, and it was still horribly uncomfortable. My son and grandson now just use the blow up mattresses on the floor. And I agree, they are more comfortable than the couch.

I STRONGLY advise you, once you get the couch set up for actual sleeping, that you and your mate force yourselves to sleep an entire night on it. If you despise and hate it, you better believe your guests will to. If that happens, look for an alternative, like a blow up that can be used on the floor or placed on top of the bed. Again, if you get a blow up, sleep on it first yourself. If you are not comfortable, don't expect your guests to be comfortable either.

Good luck.