Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Jayro88

disposing of old camper?

Hi,
So I just bought a 2009 Keystone Sprinter to replace my old 1994 Classic 300. Now I have to decide how to get rid of it. IT has a few roof leaks that I have constantly fought and some rotted spots on the floor. What I am thinking of doing is pulling off all the upgraded parts I added. Installing them on the new camper and scrapping the rest. I would be pulling of my MicroAir, Mount-n-lock, Golf Cart batteries, roof vent fans, Upgraded Converter, electric tongue jack...along with some interior items (tv mount etc).

The scrap yard said I would have to tear it down to bring in the rest of it.

So this is one option. The other one would be to pull off the items and see if anyone would want to purchase it as is. Either to fix up or part/scrap out.

Also. is there any market for parts such as a the stove, fridge, microwave etc etc?

Just kinda brainstorming and wanted to get others opinions an ideas.

Pic of new to me camper:
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on the age/condition of the parts you want to remove from the old trailer, it may be easier and, in the long run, cheaper to leave them on that trailer and sell it for "best offer".

There's a tremendous market for older trailers right now. In most parts of the country, you can likely get more for the trailer with an outright sale than you would by trying to "manage" a salvage sale of the parts that are on it.

It would be worth a try (IMHO) to list it on Craigslist for a week or so and see if there's any interest. You might be pleasantly surprised.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I have known people to pick up an old camper just for the running gear; hitch, frame, tires/axles, etc. Others I have seen repurposed for hunting camps. I bet you could make it go away REAL fast asking $1,000-$2,000 for it.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
dutchmensport

If you want to swap parts between the new and the old camper, go ahead and do so. You will probably never sell old parts. But if the camper is in-tack you probably can sell the entire camper and just let the old stuff go. Otherwise, you're going to have a pile of junk sitting around your house and/or garage that will just turn to rust.

I've been trying to GIVE away a 13,500 BTU RV air conditioner for 10 years now. By now, it's probably eaten up by mice sitting in my utility shed all these years. I can't even give it away.

If all you want to do is get rid of the old camper, then put a low price on it and someone will take it. But if you part it out, you'll have junk around, probably forever.

If you have no takers after a set amount of time, then consider taking it to an auto junk yard, or look for an RV salvage yard. If all you want to do is get rid of it, salvage yards will take it.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
bobbecky

Old RV’s seem to catch fire from various ways, so it wouldn’t be out of reason to expect any RV to burn down😈
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:59 AM   #6
Jayro88

Thanks for all the input. The only real thing that I would want off my old camper would be my Micro Air EasyStart so I can run my AC off my 2500W iGen generator. I would need to find a stock capacitor to rewire it back to the way it was. I would prefer to just sell it off for a couple thousand rather than tear it down for scrap.....less work for me.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Old RV’s seem to catch fire from various ways, so it wouldn’t be out of reason to expect any RV to burn down😈

Bob, I was in my rural Mico VFD for 12 years and OLD JUNK mobile homes and campers got burned; someone would see the ton of smoke (all the plastic stuff smokes bad) and call in a fire. We would go out and then the county fire marshall got called. Often the state fire marshall and the result would be an unhappy guy with the gas can and zippo. BIG FINES. Plus if we got there when it was burning, we had to put it out with a BUNCH OF WATER and that creates a really big mess with half burned camper and mud.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
MarkEHansen

Our local public radio station (affiliate of NPR) accepts RVs as donations, and they claim to take care of all the paperwork and haul-away issues. Then you can have a tax deduction and don't have to worry about any of it.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Our local public radio station (affiliate of NPR) accepts RVs as donations, and they claim to take care of all the paperwork and haul-away issues. Then you can have a tax deduction and don't have to worry about any of it.

Interesting idea
Old 11-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
cavie

offer it for sale as an AS IS hunting camper.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
offer it for sale as an AS IS hunting camper.
I think this is what I am going to do.

If it wasn't for the roof leaks that I can't seem to stop, it is a pretty nice simple camper. 30' with no slide, but the interior has been updated and everything works on it. I got it for $3500 to use taking my 3 sons to travel soccer tournaments. It has already saved me more than that in hotel and food bills. I even lived in it for about 3 months when I was selling one house and buying another one.

If no one is interested after a month or so, I will see if I can either donate or scrap it.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
Mikelff

If the only real issue is roof leaks, someone that is handy would probably like to buy it and take on the challenge of fixing it. I would give it a couple months and if no takers, donate it. At least you can write it off. It doesn’t sound like a lost cause, and still usable. Leave everything in it except that one item, and I bet you sell it. Try the Google market place and Craigs list. You might be surprised.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
Badbart56

From time to time this group needs RV's to re-home veterans in need. I'm sure they could find a use for it. Not sure about the logistics but here's their website. I know the gentleman who founded it. He's a Vietnam Veteran himself and a good friend. Please consider.

https://www.warriorsveteranoutreach.com/

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #14
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
From time to time this group needs RV's to re-home veterans in need. I'm sure they could find a use for it. Not sure about the logistics but here's their website. I know the gentleman who founded it. He's a Vietnam Veteran himself and a good friend. Please consider.

https://www.warriorsveteranoutreach.com/
I will check it out
Old 11-19-2020, 04:34 AM   #15
Danimal713

Earlier this year we picked up a 2017 291RK that had only been used about 4X according to seller. He used it in 2019 for 1 week to Myrtle Beach. He was very upside down and during virus season the day we went to look at it, had just been furloughed from a job as a jet engine mechanic. I am working my way through all the things I am finding wrong/broken as well as upgrades to meet my standards. We had an RVision Trail Cruiser 24' hybrid for 15 years (actually 2 of same model after first one got wrecked due to a full retread on the road but that is a story for a different time). We bought the exact same model because we loved it so much and the storage was amazing even compared to our new trailer. I sold it in 4 hours for $6000 to a family from near Birmingham AL that had checked out 2 other campers that day and a friend alerted them to our listing. They were first to call and about an hour away. I had 13 people bump me in the first 3 hours and 4 wanted to come look at it that day! I take care of things so that helps sell things and being a "horse-trader", I buy/sell things all the time so this was well in my comfort zone. So advice I echo is pull the AC soft start and sell it as a hunting base camper and in a price range to move quickly and I suspect it will disappear. I wouldn't burn it. While I am a huge pyro, too much bad stuff in it plus the possibility of going out of control is not worth the risk even if the fire dept doesn't show up.
I been considering that soft start for AC and also just sold 2 generators (Champion 3500W that was supposed to run the old camper but puked when the AC was kicked on and a HUGE 6000W construction grade I got from my brother when he moved. I want to get a dual fuel since I carry propane anyway it seems to make more sense in the outback. Also at home for house backup. In a disaster, sometimes gasoline is not available. I own 7 20# tanks now and plan to upgrade the 291RK to 30# tanks when wife retires and we cAn be gone extended periods.
So not to hi-jack the thread but any tips on the AC softstart?
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:04 AM   #16
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
Hi-jack away!! I purchased an EasyStart from MicroAir. I got a package deal that was on clearance. The EasyStart and a Westinghouse iGen2500. Install was simple and they have instructions for all different AC models. I would rate it a 3 out of 10 for install difficulty. With it installed the iGen 2500 starts and runs the AC (13.5)with no issues. I have used it many times over tournament weekends when we camp on-site with no hookups. It kinda comes down to if you want a big generator or not. For me, for multiple reasons, i didn’t. I can easily carry enough gas for the weekend. I currently have the parts to setup an extended run setup for the generator (like they do for boats), but haven’t worked out all the kinks yet. With it I should be able to run the generator for 30-40 hours without having to refuel it.

So if you want to use a smaller generator then the microAir is great. If you plan on carrying a larger generator, then it’s value really drops.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #17
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
Go to their website to get instructions on how to reset the device. You must do that to install and then “relearn” to compressors start characteristics. BTW, I also have a Westinghouse iGen2500. It is very marginal at 8800 feet elevation with the Micro Air easy start and 13.5 AC. It will start it in cool weather but can’t start it in hotter weather. I think starting amps are higher when there is more vapor pressure to overcome.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:09 AM   #18
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Go to their website to get instructions on how to reset the device. You must do that to install and then “relearn” to compressors start characteristics. BTW, I also have a Westinghouse iGen2500. It is very marginal at 8800 feet elevation with the Micro Air easy start and 13.5 AC. It will start it in cool weather but can’t start it in hotter weather. I think starting amps are higher when there is more vapor pressure to overcome.
Yes, the starting amps are higher as the temp rises due to the pressure. I also know that it can vary compressor to compressor.

Have you contacted MicroAir or Westinghouse. I know MicroAir has some kind of a "We guarantee this to work".

As the air gets thinner the power output in the generator drops just like cars. Many times manufacturers will have high altitude kits that adjust the the air fuel mixture to counteract it.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #19
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Did some more reading. The altitude kit wouldn't help. The generator would probably start better and run safer....but you would still have the loss of power. About 3% per 1000ft of elevation.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Did some more reading. The altitude kit wouldn't help. The generator would probably start better and run safer....but you would still have the loss of power. About 3% per 1000ft of elevation.
That's correct, rejetting the carb for altitude will make it burn cleaner and stop the spark plug from fouling but the only way to regain the loss of power from, thin air is to get more air either from a tiurbo chargher or a supercharger.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote