Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well got them installed and working.
Wasn't bad, even for an woreout old man. Took about 3 hours all total.
Most difficult was wrestling the awkward thing up on the tailgate so I could swap out the different parts and then hauling it back to the trailer and aligning it.

I highly recommend that you don't try this on a drive with 1" white limestone fill.

I'm hardheaded and keep trying to work on that crap. Worse part is that I have a level and smooth concrete slab a 1/2 mile away.

The DW is very happy with the results...

Javi I'm very glad you got it installed and it works like you want it to. We have the MorRyde lift steps and we really like them. Not had them a long time so they may go south any time, but as much as DW likes them, and myself since both shoulders and bicep tendons have been "done away with", I'd rebuild or rebuy them just for the convenience. Hope they do you well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Javi I'm very glad you got it installed and it works like you want it to. We have the MorRyde lift steps and we really like them. Not had them a long time so they may go south any time, but as much as DW likes them, and myself since both shoulders and bicep tendons have been "done away with", I'd rebuild or rebuy them just for the convenience. Hope you the do you well.
Oh... I was sold on these the minute I saw that I could adjust the legs without bending over...
Old 10-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #23
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Our raptor came with lift assist for the front steps. It worked 3-4 times then broke the ball end. I could not find this "double-ball" part anywhere at the hardware store, Amazon, etc. Finally called Morryde and they mailed me one. In the mean time, I put 1/2 of the system back with a single ball. Never have replaced the other side. One of the many reasons I'm not a fan of these steps:

Attachment 30460

Attachment 30461

...(just sayin')
That's too small a stud to carry that kind of weight. The threaded part is the weak spot, because it's cut instead of rolled. Since it has a sharp Groove, instead of a rolled Groove, cracks can grow there very easily.
Cracks are made by fatigue, cycling, moving the part back and forth. Just looks like a poor design.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
That's too small a stud to carry that kind of weight. The threaded part is the weak spot, because it's cut instead of rolled. Since it has a sharp Groove, instead of a rolled Groove, cracks can grow there very easily.
Cracks are made by fatigue, cycling, moving the part back and forth. Just looks like a poor design.
Technically, there shouldn't be any stress on the threads beyond stretch as the it's tightened. the load would be on the neck of the ball stem.

After I installed the Lippert version I looked at this and unless the ball loosens it should be plenty strong for the weight since it isn't supporting the entire weight of the step... only a small portion at that leverage.

Given the size of the thread, I suspect stretch rather than shear.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #25
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Technically, there shouldn't be any stress on the threads beyond stretch as the it's tightened. the load would be on the neck of the ball stem.

After I installed the Lippert version I looked at this and unless the ball loosens it should be plenty strong for the weight since it isn't supporting the entire weight of the step... only a small portion at that leverage.

Given the size of the thread, I suspect stretch rather than shear.
Javi,
I think that's exactly right. If you look at my second failure photo, I thought it clearly indicated a "twisting failure" probably from being over-tightened when installed. [I had visions of the installer using an electronic screw gun and just cranking it down until the gun stopped with no idea about the amount of torque applied.] There was no evidence of a "crack or shear" failure. Technically, there is no "weight" on this piece - the force is whatever the rating is for the two rams connected (no idea what their rating might be). So the weight of the steps will be carried by the legs when on the ground and the rams will be applying any force when the steps are in motion. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:05 AM   #26
jimborokz

The unit we first looked at in 2017 had the older MorRyde steps with the lock when closed. We ended up ordering one cause of options we wanted and when the 2018 came in it had the newer spring loaded steps. It has a spring counter weight rather than a gas shock. I can let them down half way and easily set the legs without bending over and I can literally lift them with two fingers. Three years in use and not a problem.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote