Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
phinner

28SGS Television Upgrade

We have a '12 28SGS. We love it. The only con we have is that the entertainment cabinet pretty much mandates any TV upgrade to be to a 32" TV. While we're not looking to jam a 75" TV in there, it would be nice to be able to get a 40" to fit. Has any 28SGS owner upgraded their TV and if so what did you put in? Looking for ideas. Thanks.
phinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinner View Post
We have a '12 28SGS. We love it. The only con we have is that the entertainment cabinet pretty much mandates any TV upgrade to be to a 32" TV. While we're not looking to jam a 75" TV in there, it would be nice to be able to get a 40" to fit. Has any 28SGS owner upgraded their TV and if so what did you put in? Looking for ideas. Thanks.
I cannot offer what will fit in your camper but I can relate what I did (similar setup). My oent center had the "swing around" feature to watch tv in bed. It was useless as the tv sat too low and my big feet were in the way. Didn't matter, I also hated the viewing angle setting on the couch.

So I measured the space available and found a much larger Samsung that would fit in the space (I think it's 40"). Bought a tv mount that has 2 swing arms so it I can pull it straight out and swivel it toward the couch. I mounted this by getting a piece of wood and replacing the swivel pole with a solid piece of wood and stained it to match. Works well for us.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

The television in my camper, like many, sits at a 90 degree angle to my Lazyboy loveseat recliner. The person sitting closest just can't see the TV. Stupid situation in this floor plan. I put a couple of 2x4 into the entertainment center opening and fastened to the top and bottom. I then took a sheet of 3/4" plywood, cut it to the size of the opening and then cut the sheet in half, top to bottom. This was to be able to get the two halves into the entertainment center box without removing the trim. I then bought an articulating tv mount and bolted it to the plywood. It is super solid and allows the TV to come out and turn in the angle desired both turned toward the seating and tipped down. This mount could hold a 60' TV if we wanted but since we are so close, a 32" works but we did have a 40" and it sort of overwhelmed you sitting so near by. I stained the plywood to match the entertainment center and cut a couple holes in the base for wires using a hole saw. We have a Dish Wally, DVD player, Digital Hard Drive for recording, etc. on the shelf under the one intended for the TV itself with those components.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Television.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	30203  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
phinner

Flybouy, I remember those types. I always thought they were kind of cool, but I can definitely see your point. WiredGeorge, I have friends with the same same crooked neck problem. He's going to do the same thing you did with the fully articulating mount. I grabbed a 40" for ours today while looking at the 32s. The Samsung 40" full HD smart TV was on sale for $165 ($75 less than the 32). For that price, I'll squeeze it in somehow. This is my Ent Center.

Pardon the Vikings garbage on the TV. The existing TV is already on a swivel mount. I'm going to try mounting it to see how far it will stick out. The back is curved, so it will sit back a little. If I don't like, I'm thinking of cutting the front trim at the high-lited area, so the front will be flat against the cabinet. It'll be a little chore, but it's pretty straight forward.

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
'12 Cougar 28SGS, '18 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.7
3 kids, 6 G-kids, 3.1 dogs, 2 cats
Old 10-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Flybouy, I remember those types. I always thought they were kind of cool, but I can definitely see your point. WiredGeorge, I have friends with the same same crooked neck problem. He's going to do the same thing you did with the fully articulating mount. I grabbed a 40" for ours today while looking at the 32s. The Samsung 40" full HD smart TV was on sale for $165 ($75 less than the 32). For that price, I'll squeeze it in somehow. This is my Ent Center.

Pardon the Vikings garbage on the TV. The existing TV is already on a swivel mount. I'm going to try mounting it to see how far it will stick out. The back is curved, so it will sit back a little. If I don't like, I'm thinking of cutting the front trim at the high-lited area, so the front will be flat against the cabinet. It'll be a little chore, but it's pretty straight forward.

OK Bruce, now what about that 3.1 dogs in your signature?? Maybe you should share a pic.......errrr, or maybe not???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
BrooksFam

WG, what TV mount did you use?
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
phinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OK Bruce, now what about that 3.1 dogs in your signature?? Maybe you should share a pic.......errrr, or maybe not???

We have a 60 lb labmaraner mama dog, two of her pups - 80 lb labmaraner/shepherd mixes. That's the 3. Then we have 10 lb terrier mix mutt. That's the .1.

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
Old 10-07-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
WG, what TV mount did you use?

I bought in from the Harbor Freight website:
https://www.harborfreight.com/37-in-...ion+wall+mount

It now says you have to buy this mount "in store only". I didn't use those four straight channels but only used the part in the center where you can screw your television directly to it. I would have used the straight channels if my television had been quite a bit larger for support. A 40" and now a 32" doesn't need them. You can see any number of this style mount. Google "articulating television mount". Wayfair and Home Depot have many articulating mounts. I wanted one with two arms as the TV is bouncing during transit and didn't want a single armed mount stressed. At first I used a bungee cord to hold the TV back when traveling but no longer and just make sure it hasn't moved into the path of my slide when I extend the slide for camping.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Your ent center looks like mine albeit in a different location inside the trailer. I installed a locking swivel mount. I didn't want the tv to work it's way out and possibly get behind the slide out. I think I got it from Amazon, I can go back and see if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180504_125559 (2018_10_06 15_12_30 UTC).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	30218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180504_125618 (2018_10_06 15_12_30 UTC).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	30219  
Old 10-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
phinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Your ent center looks like mine albeit in a different location inside the trailer. I installed a locking swivel mount. I didn't want the tv to work it's way out and possibly get behind the slide out. I think I got it from Amazon, I can go back and see if you like.
Sure, that would be great. Did you add the metal plate on to the back? Our current one has only one arm that pivots from the wall mount to the TV mount, but it does have a big black plate that I would have to redrill holes in. The holes in it now are about 8" apart.

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
Old 10-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

I'll have to do some research to find it, been a few years. The plate on the back of the tv is an adapter plate to use smaller size mount on larger tv's. The mount was rated for the weight but the Samsung tv has a larger bolt spacing.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:58 AM   #12
Brazo

28sgs tv

Quote:
I have a 28SGS and replaced my tv with a 32 inch samsung smart tv with a sound bar connected underneath tv with bracket I bought off Amazon.Fits and works great-had to disconnect wires from tv to stereo from ceiling speakers and put subwoofer next to dining chairs where there is a electrical plug.Good luck!!!
Brazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
phinner

I was able to use the old mount after I widened the screw slots and cut a corner out for the TV's power plug. It rests on the front of the cabinet and is inset a little less than the cabinet doors. We tested it this last week when we took a trip to Emigrant Lake, OR and it seemed to work fine. I also did lose the connection to the stereo for the ceiling speakers, but it does sound good anyways. Maybe later down the road when we replace the stereo, we can possibly get them back. I'm very happy with it now and probably won't cut up the cabinet like I thought I would. The wife? Eh, she could care less.

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
Old 10-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #14
rlh1957

No matter what size 32”, 40”, 50”... when considering a TV the actual outside dimensions of tv that will fit is most important.
Bro-in-law took out a 32” tv and found a 40” that would fit In same entertainment cabinet of RV.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:54 AM   #15
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That's the same mount that came in our last 5er, a 2012 FR. It held the TV well during travel. We replaced the 32" tv for a 40" and the overall size of the 40 was only slightly bigger and still fit in the opening although just barely. The newer tv's have smaller frames and are lighter. Measure your opening and go to the store and measure tv's. You'll be surprised.
Oh, also don't buy a smart TV, get a dump one and a Roku or Fire Stick, they work better and faster.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
That's the same mount that came in our last 5er, a 2012 FR. It held the TV well during travel. We replaced the 32" tv for a 40" and the overall size of the 40 was only slightly bigger and still fit in the opening although just barely. The newer tv's have smaller frames and are lighter. Measure your opening and go to the store and measure tv's. You'll be surprised.
Oh, also don't buy a smart TV, get a dump one and a Roku or Fire Stick, they work better and faster.
Now days you'd be hard pressed to find a "dumb" tv in a quality brand. When I replaced mine I measured the cabinet opening. Then I went on the internet and started looking at the brands I considered and the sizes listed. Most all the major online retailers will list the size of the televisions both with and without the table mounts, ignore the screen size at this point.

Compile a list of tvs that will fit the space, then look at screen size, features, price, etc. and narrow down your choices.

Tags
television, upgrade