Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
wegone

Back up camera....

I have a 2019 Bullet that I bought the recommended pre-wired back up camera for....
I did the pairing in the cab, worked great, as it was a packaged deal, and was already mated.
I then put the camera in the pre-installed sharkfin, plugged in the only wire, screwed it in....went to the cab, turned on the light, plugged in the monitor, and it says, no signal.....
I took it down, tried in the cab again, works fine, and this time I noticed a blue light comes on at the camera.
Out it back in the sharkfin, turn everything on.....nothing again, no blue "on" light....SO, it looks like I have no power at the plug...arg.
The running lights come on, everything looks fine there.....
Is there a separate fuse to this plug, I see something about a 1A fuse, but I am thinking that pertains to if you have to wire it in without having it already pre-wired from the factory.....????

Any ideas gang?

Thank you
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
MarkEHansen

Welcome to the forum!

It's possible the power plug is wired backward. If you can use a VOM (volt/ohm meter) you can test for power at the connector in the cab (to make sure what is expected) and then do the same test to the plug up on the back of the trailer.

Some pre-wired power plugs are connected to the running lights, but I've read some are connected to the back-up lights, so try both.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
wegone

Yep.....wired wrong from the factory. I watched a YouTube video where the guy upgraded from a back up only, to a Furrion Vision S 7 Inch Wireless RV Backup System...which is what I purchased, but only one camera for now.
He had to pull the light right above the mount, and spice in the cable/plug to that light.....
So, I thought that might be what I need to do too, even tho I had what appeared to be a correct set-up....
I thought, what the heck.
When i pulled the running light, and fished out the wires, it was exactly what I was suppose to do....???
So, I thought perhaps its just a bad cable, so I wired in the "new" cable they gave me, following the existing connections....
Turned on the lights....NO GO.
WHAT THE HECK????
So, I am thinking it must be wired backwards, nothing else is left...
I pulled the connections, switched them, and BAM...that was it.

THANK YOU KEYSTONE.....my goodness, what the heck?

The camera is great, my trailer is a little over 30 foot, and I have a Ford 250 Super Duty, and the signal is perfect, the picture crisp and clear...hopefully it will be when traveling too...

Thanks for your reply Mark, it would have come in very handy, if I had been stumped !
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
CDRVing

Back-up Camera

Question, We bought our 2021 Passport 2900RL GT in August and although my husband can back up the camper with our Ford 250 XLT, I would like to purchase a backup camera. The truck comes with the option to have an additional camera added for a backup camera. That way he doesn’t have the extra screen in the cab. Do I get the camera from Keystone and have Ford install it? Much appreciate any help.

Chuck & Deb
2019 Ford F-250XLT
2021 Passport 2900RL GT TT
CDRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
Camping family

I found out the head lights have to be one in order for the camera to work. I have the same set up. When I installed it couldn’t get it to work. Contact furrion and the tech told me what the problem was. Once I made sure the head lights were on and not on auto. Everything worked fine.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRVing View Post
Question, We bought our 2021 Passport 2900RL GT in August and although my husband can back up the camper with our Ford 250 XLT, I would like to purchase a backup camera. The truck comes with the option to have an additional camera added for a backup camera. That way he doesn’t have the extra screen in the cab. Do I get the camera from Keystone and have Ford install it? Much appreciate any help.
I believe that if you're looking to interface the truck "ultimate trailer towing package" with the trailer camera, you can't do that with the Keystone (furrion) camera and the "Ford truck system". The Furrion camera is a wireless camera that uses a specific frequency to connect with a Furrion receiver that you mount on the dash of the tow vehicle. The Ford system uses a wired (customer placed camera) purchased at the Ford dealership to "physically wire into the truck's electronic monitor system. If you have an XLT and do not have the optional "ultimate trailer towing package" then you'll need to verify at your local Ford parts center" if your truck even has the capability to be modified to interface a trailer rear view camera with the "in dash display".

You can't buy the Furrion wireless camera, install it on a Keystone trailer and interface it with a "wired Ford display"....

Well, I guess you can, as anything can be manipulated to interface if you want to spend enough time and money to make it work... Sort of like installing an F-15 avionics system in a Mustang... Sure, you can make the lights work, but you can't get it to fire missiles, no matter how much money you spend on making it look cool.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote