Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #1
Grumpy Camper

Angry Unhappy on Cape Cod

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are lemon laws for RV's?
we bought a 2020 1/2 ton Cougar 29 RES in January, picked it up in April,
had hot water tank issues, heat issues , shower leak issue, fridge needs to be replaced, rear awning is pulling off the side, after opening it for the very first time. The RV has not left my yard , only to be brought back for repairs. I make an appointment for drop off, takes 2 weeks to book, once they have it, 9 days go by before they look at it.
Has anyone had issues this bad with a new purchase? Thanks for listening!
Almost ready to call it quits before we even use it!
Grumpy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
notanlines

David, I'm sorry that I have no comforting words to pass along. There are many, many posts on this forum and the forums of other manufacturers saying exactly what you did. All I can say is do the very best you can to deal with the general manager, not the service writer, and try your very best to insure the repairs were made before you tow it away.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Without knowing the specifics of your problems, they generally fall into two categories. One category is "caused by Keystone" and the other is "caused by the component manufacturer (not by Keystone)"..

Looking at your list, it appears that many of the problems you have are "component manufacturer issues". Things like water heater issues, refrigerator needs to be replaced are probably "manufacturer problems". Things like the leaking shower pan and heat issues could be the manufacturer or they could be Keystone, depending on the problem. The only "Keystone issue" on the list is the rear awning pulling off the side... That is most likely a "Keystone issue" in the way they installed the awning at the factory....

So, generally speaking, EVERY RV manufacturer uses the same appliances, same furnaces, same shower pans, same awnings... The way they are installed, the care, alignment, plumbing to each appliance is the responsibility of the RV manufacturer, but you can't (or shouldn't) blame Keystone if the furnace or the refrigerator "burped on first use"... Blame either your dealership for not checking it out before delivery or blame the furnace/refrigerator manufacturer.... Those aren't "Keystone problems"....

I know it's difficult to have a new trailer that doesn't work properly and the "biggest, low hanging fruit" in this case is Keystone, but looking objectively at your problems, are they "all caused by Keystone" or are they just the easiest to blame??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As Jim noted, there are those units from every RV manufacturer out there. My last one was similar. The trick is to do your own in depth inspections, top to bottom, to ascertain all possible issues and take it to the selling dealer.

On my previous trailer, on about the 3rd or 4th go round of bring it in, wait for 2 weeks to look at it, sits in the bay for 3-4 days, comes out and waits on a part for a month, put it back in the schedule for repairs a month later, then call me 2-3 weeks after that I had a come apart. Put the service writer, service manager and GM in front of me and ran them through the meat grinder. I then escalated the issues I had dealt with to the CEO of the company. A short time later the GM and service manager were replaced.

As a result of the above as I made arrangements for a repair my new service advisor (fantastic) happened to mention it was noted in the company records that I was a "VIP" customer. Now, barring something extensive, I call them and tell them the issue along with my assessment of the cause, they give me a day to bring it in and have a bay set aside. The last 3 times I just pull in front of the bay and they have a tech waiting for me at my appointment time. On those 3 occasions I have not sat more than 45 minutes while the tested and repaired the trailer. One of those was a bad furnace control board. No wait for one to be ordered or reschedule; they just pulled one off another new trailer and installed it...right then, right there.

I'm not saying your experience will be like mine; I have worked very hard to cultivate a relationship with the entire management structure, gone out of my way to help them and spend lots of money there. We are all pretty much good friends. I am saying that if a dealership is left to their own devices and you don't say something you will always be dragging up the end of the line. If you bought your unit from them that is unacceptable IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Canonman

Lemon laws can vary from state to state. In UT and I suspect most states, lemon laws apply to motorized vehicles and not RVs. As for service issues, I found out that many RV repair services are "authorized" to do warranty repairs. It may be worthwhile to make some phone calls to other local service shops or even mobile service operators. They get things done a lot quicker than dealers seem to be able to.
I agree with Jim that if you're going back to the dealer, it is wise to get the GM involved. I'd set up an appointment with the GM and the Service Manager. Let them know how disappointed you are and what your expectations are. Polite calm but firm seems to work best in my experience. We thought we had a "lemon" with our Cougar, but the GM and service folks at Camping World got everything fixed. After 4 seasons we're down now to the usual wear and tear items and enjoying our RV investment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm Over Flaming Gorge.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	28375  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Grumpy Camper

thanks everyone for your opinions, yes i will have to get management involved!
Grumpy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
GilaElkHunter

[QUOTE=sourdough;397728]

As a result of the above as I made arrangements for a repair my new service advisor (fantastic) happened to mention it was noted in the company records that I was a "VIP" customer. Now, barring something extensive, I call them and tell them the issue along with my assessment of the cause, they give me a day to bring it in and have a bay set aside. The last 3 times I just pull in front of the bay and they have a tech waiting for me at my appointment time. On those 3 occasions I have not sat more than 45 minutes while the tested and repaired the trailer. One of those was a bad furnace control board. No wait for one to be ordered or reschedule; they just pulled one off another new trailer and installed it...right then, right there.

Now I know what happened to the furnace control board on my HC 310RE. (HaHa) It was not there, only to find out the next morning after purchase when we turned on the furnace and nothing happened.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=GilaElkHunter;397777]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Now I know what happened to the furnace control board on my HC 310RE. (HaHa) It was not there, only to find out the next morning after purchase when we turned on the furnace and nothing happened.

I guess it could happen - I think that might have happened to me once upon a time. In this case, just by looking there at the dealership, they must get a trailer in every now and again that must have been through the ringer just getting to them. Don't know for a fact but looks like they get set aside and used for "parts". At some point I'm sure that unit has to be patched up and sold....and there may be "the one" that someone gets that constantly falls apart.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
GilaElkHunter

I have sure learned a lot from reading things on this site and others, like what a PDI is. I think people get caught up in the moment of a new trailer and it has this and that and don't do a good inspection, and the dealers play on that. It was between 90 and 95 degrees the day we picked ours up in Denver and we did not run the furnace, the tech just says here is the thermostat and you know how to use it right?? Then we headed for Mt. Rushmore, the next morning it was around 35 degrees and I try to turn on the furnace, nothing. I should have turned around and went back but I CAN FIX IT!! Little did I know there were parts missing. We figure they pulled it to put in someone elses to get them going and never replaced it.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote